Search for content in message boards

Oicles

Posted: 20 May 2012 9:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Sep 2012 3:21PM GMT
hi all,
Am looking for my grandfathers parents names. His name is Edgar Allister Oicles born in lunenburg, Nova Scotia in 1882. He married Alice True Roberts so would also like info on her. Thank you, Sandy

Re: Oicles

Posted: 26 May 2012 3:45AM GMT
I searched every record I could think of and found no Edgar or Alice. You have any siblings of Edgar?

Posted: 26 May 2012 1:17PM GMT
Found this on Familysearch site
"Massachusetts, Marriages, 1841-1915

Name: Edgar Allister Oicles
Event: Marriage
Event Date: 28 Jan 1906
Event Place: Wakefield,, Massachusetts
Birthplace: Moser River,Nova Scotia
Marriage Reg. Place: Wakefield,Massachusetts
Father: George C Oicles
Mother: Martha E Smith
Spouse: Alice True Roberts
Spouse's Father: Lewis Roberts
Spouse's Mother: Charlotte Davis
Record Number: 4168
Film Number: 2315298
Digital Folder Number: 4329356

Posted: 26 May 2012 4:05PM GMT
Thank you so much for that information! I had been
having trouble finding anything on that side of my family.

Posted: 26 May 2012 5:01PM GMT
Well I found them. He names his father as George C. Oicle and mother as Martha Ellen Smith. Now one thing you find out very quickly when researching the German/Swiss settlers of Lunenburg County is their habit of going by their middle names.
I checked the 1901 Census which can be accessed free at
www.automatedgenealogy.com
After searching Halifax County I found the following family in Smith Cove, Halifax Co. The name has been mistranscibed as Oleles but a look at the original record confirmed that it is probably Oicle
District #33, Halifax, Smith Cove P-1, Page 13
Neil Oleles, male, head, born Jan 17, 1839
Ellen Oleles, wife, born May 1, 1840
Edgar A Oleles, son born Oct 22, 1880
Since Martha’s middle initial was E, it was certainly possible that this Ellen was her but that left the mystery of “Neil”
I found the same family on the 1891 Census as follows. Here again the name has been mistranscribed, this time as
Siele.

Cornelias Siele age 49
Ellen Siele age 50
Estala Siele age 16 (Estella ?)
Edghill Siele, age 15
Willabie Siele age 13
Edgar Siele age 11
Nettie Siele age 9
All the above is “circumstantial evidence” but I found corroboration on the NS Vital Stat site which can be accessed free at
www.novascotiagenealogy.ca
The death certificate of Edgehill Austin Oicle can be found there
Halifax Co Deaths Reg Year 1956, page 4694
It states that Edgehill died age 80 and was the son of George Cornelius Oicle born in Bridgewater and Martha Ellen Smith born in Mosher River. Informant was his daughter. So George C. on Edgar’s marriage record was actually George Cornelius and Cornelius became the “Neil” on the 1901 Census.
At the above website I also found the marriage of Cornelius Oicle bachelor and Martha Ellen Nickerson, widow. They were married in August 19, 1873. The record states that Cornelius was born in Bridgewater son of Henry.

You can probably find much more on the family at the Nova Scotia Genealogy site. You may need to download a viewer program which is free onsite to see the actual record.
Happy Hunting
Burdette

Posted: 26 May 2012 6:39PM GMT
Wow, this is great! Thanks
Posted: 6 Jul 2012 10:16PM GMT
Edgar Oicles had 2 brothers and 2 sisters. Note that the spelling of Oicles varyfor each:
Estala Blanche Oicle b. 1874. No info beyond that
Edgehill Oickle, 1876-1956. Lots of info on him. Married twice, about12 kids
Willoughby Oicles, 1878-1937. My grandfather, came out west to seek his fortune, died in an auto accident.
Edgar Oicles. 1882-1960, three kids, my dad's favorite cousin was Charlotte
Annetta Oicle, 1883. The geneaology I have says she married someone named Reynolds and went to the US never to be heard from again.

Posted: 30 Aug 2012 6:37PM GMT
Surnames: oicles
Hey, Im Timothy Oicles, I have 3 Sisters Leila Oicles Melissa Oicles an Michelle Oicles an a older brother Richard Oicles Jr. Then we hame My parents Richard Oicles Sr. and My Mom an His wife Cordelia Oicles aka Connolly. My Grandparents and My Fathers Parents Sadly both passes away this past year My Grandfather Ralph Oicles past away in late MAy of this year and quickly followed by my Grandma aka Nana Jean Oicles aka Buckman past away this past june. My whole family grew up and continue to make New England our home of 4 generations including my own Brother and sisters have 14 grandkids between all of us. We have a strong bond and a closiness that I know many only wish forbut for me it was a gift so powerful it really cant even imagine a greater gift than that.I would love to know more about mywhole family that branches out even to Nova Scocia. thanks for some information I caN use to start with though so thanks yall.
Timothy John Oicles

Posted: 31 Aug 2012 7:06PM GMT
I was fortunate enough to find an obituary online of Ralph E. Oicles
(all the information below has been found online)
Ralph E. Oicles 86, formerly of East Bridgewater, Tewksbury and Antrim, NH died Monday July 25 after a period of failing health. He was the beloved husband of 60 years to Jean (Hutchings) Oicles.
Born and raised in Wakefield, MA he was the son of the late Edgar and Alice (Roberts) Oicles and a graduate of Wakefield High School and the Stratford Business School of Boston.
Ralph was a proud Veteran of WWII having served as a Sergeant in the US Marine Corp from 1943-1946 and was a participant in the Asiatic-Pacific Theater.
For over 30 years Ralph worked as a Nursing Assistant at the VA Hospitals of Brockton and Bedford.
He enjoyed fishing and hunting with his life long Marine Buddies.
In addition to his wife Jean he is survived by his 5 sons Robert and his wife Amy of FL, Richard and his wife Cordelia of NH, William and his wife Dinah of MA, David and his wife Krista of WA, Jeffery and his wife Bretta of NJ, and his daughter Sandra and her husband Steve of FL. He is also survived by 12 grandchildren, 13 great grandchildren and several nieces.
From Family Search site “Massachusetts Marriages 1841-1915
Jan 28, 1906, Wakefield, Massachusetts
Edgar Allister Oicles, age 25, born Moser River, Nova Scotia, Canada
Son of George C. Oicles and Martha E. Smith
Married Alice True Roberts dau of Lewis Roberts and Charlotte Davis

Four years after their marriage Edgar and Alice were listed on the 1910 U.S. Census as follows:
Chicopee Ward #2, Hampden, Massachusetts
Edgar A Oicles – age 28
Alice Oicles – age 24
Stanley R. Oicles – 11 months
They were residing with Edgar’s sister and brother-in-law Robert and Annetta Reynolds and their children Robert age 3 years and Ruth age 6 months.

By the 1930 U.S. Census Edgar and Alices’s family included Roger E age 19, Grace age 12, Charlotte age 8, Ralph age 5. They also had several extended family members living with them: Arthur Roberts, age 46, single, brother-in-law; Walter Roberts, age 57, brother-in-law; Addie F. Welsh, age 66, widow, sister-in-law; Robert Welsh, age 49, married, brother-in-law; and Ruth (age20) and Ruby (age 12) Welsh who are listed as nieces. All these in-laws are listed as having been born in Massachusetts.

There is no more mention of their first child Stanley R. from the 1910 Census. He may have died young .

Now tracing Edgar back to Nova Scotia as follows:

In the 1891 Census of Nova Scotia, Canada the family is as follows
Cornelius Oickle age 49
Ellen Oickle, age 50
Estala Oickle, age 16 (Estella)
Edgehill Oickle, age 15
Willabie Oickle, age 13
Edgar Oickle, age 11
Nettie Oickle, age 9 (the Annetta who married Robert Reynolds in Massachusetts)

Cornelius is actually “George Cornelius Oickle” and Ellen is “ Martha Ellen Smith” from the information on son Edgehills death certificate. According to George Cornelius’ marriage record he was born in Bridgewater, Nova Scotia, son of Henry and Elizabeth Abigail.
Children that are recorded for Henry and Elizabeth Abigail are
George Cornelius born Sept 26, 1843, christened March 12, 1844
Sophia Catherine Oikle born Apr 28, 1847; christened Dec 11, 1847
Willaim Henry born Feb 12, 1852, christened March 8, 1852
Fred born Oct 24, 1853, christened Nov 10, 1853
All except Sophia were are from the records of Zion Lutheran Church in Lunenburg. Sophia was christened in St. Johns Anglican Church in Lunenburg.

One thing you find out quite quickly about this large group of German/Swiss settlers who came to Nova Scotia in 1751-1753 is their habit of going by their middle name. Here in Nova Scotia the name is usually spelled “Oickle” or “Oikle” except for some purists who have kept the original German “Eichel”. You can find out more about this group of settlers online by simply googling “Foreign Protestants Nova Scotia” They were settled in the Lunenburg area of the Nova Scotia coast. Lunenburg is the home of the famous racing schooner , the “Bluenose” and has been designated a World Heritage Site by the United Nations. If you’ve never been there, you really should plan a trip-you’re not that far away.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions