Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell

Rita Pease (View posts)
Posted: 1 Apr 2002 9:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Mar 2006 10:10PM GMT
Surnames: Mitchell
I am replying to the following message.

"My great great grandmother was Nellie Finan Carroll, and she had a daughter, Mary, who was married to James Mitchell and they all lived in or near Vail. All were probably from near Castlerea, County Roscommon, Ireland. Nellie died in 1906 and is buried in St Ann's Cemetery, although I can't find her grave. Mary and James Mitchell then moved to Wagner, South Dakota, perhaps to be near to Mary's brother Thomas Carroll, who lived there."

My grandmother, Bertha Flynn, was married to Michael Mitchell and they lived in Vail in the late 1800s. My grandfather died there in 1929 and my grandmother died there in 1933. I, too, have looked for their graves at St. Ann's cemetery and have not found them as the graves were uncared for and the stone markers probably sunk out of sight, or so I've been told. My grandmother was born in Castlerea, County Roscommon. I am trying to find out more about my grandfather, Michael Mitchell.

Re: Mitchell in Vail

Posted: 2 Apr 2002 7:15AM GMT
Edited: 16 Jul 2003 8:06PM GMT
Surnames: Mitchell, Flynn
In January I saw this posting on the Leitrim-Roscommon Bulletin Board:

http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/lrboard/

"Looking for family info on Bernard F. Mitchell,
(reportedly) born Castlerae, County Roscommon in 1849. Emigrated to U.S. April 1874 using passport stolen from his brother while family was at Mass. Lived in NY, IL, and IA. Married Catherine Frances Flynn (daughter of Peter Flynn and Anastasia Maher or Mahr) in 1878 and died in 1923."

I have a note with no references that shows Bernard had 4 brothers and 2 sisters: Margaret, Michael, Patrick, Bridgit, Mary, Bartley, James. It may be that I got this from the 1900 Crawford County census for Hayes Township or the Town of Vail. These are both on the Crawford web site.

I also have it noted that Bartley died in 1921 and is buried in the "Old Catholic" cemetery on the west side of Vail. When I was in Vail to look around in St. Ann's Cemetery, I didn't know of another Catholic cemetery, so maybe "Old Catholic" and St. Ann's are the same cemetery.

Rita Pease (View posts)
Posted: 2 Apr 2002 9:09PM GMT
Thank you very much for your help. I am going to follow up on this. Perhaps my Grandfather Michael and Bernard were brothers.

I had assumed that "Old Catholic" and St. Ann's were the same. Now I am not so sure. I am going to delve further into this and will let you know. I used to live in Carroll, a town nearby, and still have friends in the area. They may know.

Rita Pease (View posts)
Posted: 2 Apr 2002 9:33PM GMT
Thank you very much for your help. I am going to follow up on this. Perhaps my Grandfather Michael and Bernard were brothers.

I had assumed that "Old Catholic" and St. Ann's were the same. Now I am not so sure. I am going to delve further into this and will let you know. I used to live in Carroll, a town nearby, and still have friends in the area. They may know.

Posted: 30 Jun 2003 7:28PM GMT
Edited: 2 Mar 2004 9:55PM GMT
Surnames: Mitchell, Carroll, O'Connell, Finan
I have James Mitchell married to Mary C. Carroll with the following children: John b: 25 Jan 1869 d: 27 Oct 1887; Bernard Joseph b: 19 Oct 1872 (my line); Ellen b:2 Sep 1873; William Francis b: 9 Aug 1875; Anna Delvera b: 29 Jul 1877; Michael Edward b: 1 Nov 1879; James b: 4 Mar 1882 d: 23 Jul 1883; Mary Beryl b: 4 May 1884; Alice Veronica b: 15 Jul 1887; James Vincent b: 17 Jun 1890; Lucille Cleophas b: 23 Jul 1896.

I found lots of information "The Crawford County, Iowa GenWeb Project." I found the children in the town of Vail, and the townships of Milford and Hayes. I don't remember finding Michael.

I'm going to Vail, IA around July 10th, hopefully I'll find something.

Paula (View posts)
Posted: 24 Dec 2004 4:19PM GMT
Bernard's sister Margaret is my 3g-grandmother. She married Michael Giblin. Her and Michael as well as several Mitchell's are all buried at St. Ann's Cemetery.

Paula (View posts)
Posted: 24 Dec 2004 4:23PM GMT
Depending on where you are looking, they are one in the same cemetery. There was originally a cemetery called "Old Catholic" that contained burials prior to 1882. In March of 1882 - St. Ann's was given 4 1/2 acres just South of the church for a cemetery and the first burial was that Spring. At that time many of the old graves from the original cemetery was brought over to St. Ann's. I once found the directions to the original cemetery and sent them to Father at St. Ann's. He said he went and looked and it is in bad shape and most of the graves are gone.

Posted: 19 Jun 2007 2:05AM GMT
This link is old. Do not follow it as it will take you to a site that says "Public Voice" it is not a genealogical site.

Re: Michael Mitchell

Posted: 3 Jul 2008 1:08AM GMT
Surnames: Mitchell and McCarthy
My grandparents were James and Mary,my grandfather was William Mitchell. I remember my uncle Adrian telling me that my son got his red hair from uncle Mickey Mitchell. Thats all I can remember about him. I wonder if you know anything about my grandmother Mary or Marie McCarthy, who married William in vail
La Vonne Mitchell Colvin

Re: Michael Mitchell

Posted: 5 May 2013 2:57AM GMT
Surnames: Mitchell-O'Connell-Carroll
Wondering if perchance Michael Mitchell is known as Bud or Buddy?

My great-great grandparents are James F. Mitchell (Mulvehill-Mulvihill-Mulviheil was Irish surname Americanized to Mitchell FYI) b Feb. 1845 Castlerea, Roscommon d June 1923, Buried ZCBJ Cemetery, Wagner, Charles Mix Co. SD; & Mary Carroll Mitchell (I presume is Nellie Finan Carroll's daughter referred to) b Dec. 1846 Adragol, Kilkeevin, Roscommon, d Jan. 1925 in Wagner, SD & also buried at ZCBJ (ref. FindAGrave). If Bernard F. Mitchell reputedly stole his brother's passport, I wonder if it may've been my great-great grandfather James' who was 4 years older... I am descended from James' first-born son Bernard Joseph Mitchell & Mary Ellen O'Connell Mitchell (great-grandparents) via their daughter who was my Grandma Bernice Theresa Mitchell Barta; my mother is Mary Eileen Barta Walters; and my sister & I were named for our great-grandma Mary Ellen OC/M: Mary Louise, and I am Barbara Ellen Walters Wong. No, my husband is not Chinese. What a heritage! FYI IrishTimes ancester surname index shows the Carroll family heraldry & coat of arms, check it out. Does anyone have addl info on Roscommon Co. Carrolls or Mulvihills to continue back another generation or two?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions