Search for content in message boards

download source citation (media) to Family Tree Maker 2010 (pc)

download source citation (media) to Family Tree Maker 2010 (pc)

Posted: 3 Jul 2011 4:06AM GMT
Classification: Query
So I have an ancestory.com paid account and I have family tree maker 2010. I have downloaded my ancestory.com family tree into Family Tree Maker 2010... I noticed that none of the source citations (like Census images) are not downloaded to family tree maker... I found a help article (answer ID 5198... or URL = see bottom of this message) that states I should be able to download these source citations into Family Tree Maker.. So I validated on ancestory.com that the 1920 US federal census has info on my great grandfather and that there is a source citation for this linked to my grandfather... I also validated that family tree maker had this same source for my great grandfather. But when I tried the help instructions there was no "download image if available" button in family tree maker... can someone help with this... I will call support in the AM but really want to get this working now.

Here is the URL to the support doc:
http://ancestry.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ancestry.cfg/php/enduse... ancestory.com source to family tree maker&p_created=1274284459&p_sid=l8N5y*xk&p_accessibility=&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Byb2RzPSZwX2NhdHM9JnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=&p_topview=1

Re: download source citation (media) to Family Tree Maker 2010 (pc)

Posted: 3 Jul 2011 4:22AM GMT
Darren,

That is correct. If you look at your Online Tree, the Citation Image is NOT in your Tree, but there is a Link to that Image in your Online Tree.

The same thing is in your Family Tree Maker Version 2010. There is a Link where you CAN download that Image to be in your Citation Media Tab.

Russ

Posted: 3 Jul 2011 4:29AM GMT
Thanks for the quick reply Russ... I understand this is a "link" and that I can download it by going through multiple steps... The online support (if you search for answer id 5198) it clearly shows an example of downloading a source citation for federal census media... This is actually what I want to do in Family Tree Maker to avoid doing the multiple steps required on the online ancestory.com site...

-darren

Posted: 3 Jul 2011 4:35AM GMT
Darren,

So, you are maintaining your file in Two Places?

Then you will have to download each of the images using the link.

It doesn't matter where you maintain your file, but I suggest that you maintain it in ONE place, not two.

I maintain my file on my PC and upload to Ancestry.com at times. I don't have to worry about this.

If you maintain your file on Ancestry.com, and download your file to your PC, that's OK, but why try to maintain your file in two places?

Russ

Posted: 3 Jul 2011 4:48AM GMT
I'm trying to get to the point where I have everything downloaded into Family Tree Maker so I can cancel my Ancestry.com account (don't want to pay for it anymore)... I'm not trying to maintain two spots... I started with Ancestory.com and then decided I didn't want to pay so I purchased Family Tree Maker 2010 since it said it would download "all" of the info from Ancestry.com... but so far I haven't found that it truely downloads all the media and info... I still have my Ancestry.com account (world deluxe) since I haven't fully got all the info into Family Tree Maker.

Posted: 3 Jul 2011 5:31AM GMT
Darren,

Bottom line here is that you need to download each Linked image from Ancestry.com into the Citation Media, using that link.

Unfortunately, there is NO short cut. If the Image was part of your tree, it would be downloaded. But, since it is linked to your Online Tree, you have do download that image using the provided link.

I do understand exactly what you are trying to do. I am telling you how to accomplish that, and you already have the link to the Knowledge Base article.

Russ

Posted: 3 Jul 2011 5:49AM GMT
I take it you haven't read the support doc I mentioned (just search for answer ID 5198 on ancestry.com)... Here is what it says:

"When you download your tree from Ancestry.com into Family Tree Maker 2010 or 2011, the source citations you have for your tree are included, but the actual image for the citation is not. In the past, you had to both find the record again through a web search and merge it again with your file to include the media, or manually add the media to your tree.

With Family Tree Maker 2010 or 2011, this process has been simplified by adding a download media button to the source citations. "

This is exactly what I want to do but when I try to do it Family Tree Maker 2010 it doesn't work... I'll contact customer support in the AM.

thanks,
d

Posted: 3 Jul 2011 5:56AM GMT
In fact it appears that Family Tree Maker 2011 has an option to download all source citation media based on the following support doc:

Answer ID 5325

"When you download your tree from Ancestry.com into Family Tree Maker 2010 or 2011, the source citations you have for your tree are included, but the actual image for the citation is not. In the past, you had to both find the record again through a web search and merge it again with your file to include the media, or manually add the media to your tree.

With Family Tree Maker 2011, this process has been simplified by adding an option to download all source citation media. For help using this new feature, please follow the steps below.

If would prefer to download source images individually you can click here for instructions on that.

Note: To download source images, you must have a subscription to Ancestry.com that covers the database the images are coming from."

Posted: 3 Jul 2011 6:00AM GMT
Darren,

Please read what it says:

"but the actual image for the citation is not" That was for both Version 2010 and 2011.

then it says

"this process has been simplified by adding a download media button to the source citations"

That is the link, in the Citation Media that I have been talking about.

There is NO ONE BUTTON to download ALL Citation Media files from Ancestry.com to your PC.

Its a One Image at a time.

Russ

Posted: 3 Jul 2011 6:10AM GMT
I'll disagree... you obviously have not viewed the help article since the screen shots they show are not of a "link" but a button and if you read the other help article it clear shows how to download ALL source media with 2011 (I can't verify this since I only have 2010).

-d
per page

Find a board about a specific topic