Search for content in message boards

1830 FEDERAL CENSUS- SYLVESTER BROWN

1830 FEDERAL CENSUS- SYLVESTER BROWN

Jeanne Muncey (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jul 2006 6:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BROWN
Can anyone tell me if there was a Federal Census taken in Delaware County in 1830? Or was there any form of written data on families living there? I know that my 3rd great grandfather, SYLVESTER BROWN, was born in Delaware county in 1824 but that is all I know of his early life. I have found no written documents naming him or his parents and siblings. There is no hint of his birth family on any of the paper trail he left after becoming an adult. I do know he married a woman named Julia Ann but don't know her surname. I am at a loss to know what other records may contain the information I seek. Would desperately like to know who was my 4th great grandfather. Any help woud be appreciated..

Re: 1830 FEDERAL CENSUS- SYLVESTER BROWN

Posted: 2 Jul 2006 5:13PM GMT
Edited: 20 Nov 2006 10:02PM GMT
Jeanne,

There was a federal census in 1830 but it only listed the name of the head of household. The others in a home were listed by sex & age groups. All names weren`t listed until the 1850 census.

Was your Sylvester living in Bradford Co., PA at any time? There is a Sylvester Brown, age 26, b. NY, on the 1850 census there in the town of Litchfield. His wife`s name is Julia Ann. On the same page two households away is a Peter Brown age 55, b. NY. He is with a much younger woman, Elizabeth Brown, 34 & several Brown children all under 10. Could be Sylvester`s father with a 2nd wife.

Pat R.

Jeanne Muncey (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jul 2006 10:09PM GMT
Thanks Pat for the quick response. It was said that SYLVESTER did live in Bradford County for a time so it could be the one I search for. In the 1830 census I would have to look up all the census for Delaware county hoping to find one that shows a son either five or six years old. Then continue my search from there. I may be able to get that 1850 census from my library on their computers.
I do appreciate your help.

Posted: 27 Sep 2006 1:35AM GMT
Edited: 19 Nov 2006 10:56PM GMT
Jeanne,

I have seen your inquiries into the Brown family wh I am a direct descendent. You are the 3rd great granddaughter of Silvester Brown who do you descend from as parents? Where do you live maybe we can share some info. I notice the date of July. Did you just start this research?

Thanks
Judy Brown Anderson

Jeanne (View posts)
Posted: 27 Sep 2006 2:48AM GMT
Surnames: BROWN - SHERROD - CHANEY
Judy...

I am descended from SYLVESTER BROWN through his son, CHARLES HENRY BROWN, married to IDA V. SHERROD . Their son,HARRY PHILO BROWN, was my father and he was married to BERTHA CHANEY.
I live in Maple Valley, Washington near Seattle. I started my family research about six years ago but Sylvester has been a brick wall for me. Another cousin of mine has been researching Sylvester for over ten years with no leads as to his parents or his siblings. You can see that any information you would share would be so greatly appreciated.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic