Search for content in message boards

Rev. Alfred Bronson

Rev. Brunson

Posted: 13 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Jul 2001 5:32PM GMT
Surnames: BRUNSON, BRONSON
Rev. Alfred Bronson was born Feb. 9, 1793. He was a Methodist minister. In 1823 he lived in Detroit. In 1835 he left Meadville, PA for Wisconsin to serve as a missionary to the Indians. This information came from an article in the "Prairie du Chien Union", page 3, column 2, January 31, 1873. The data is cited in "Births, Deaths, Marriages and Other Genealogical Gleanings from Newspapers for Crawford, Vernon and Richland Counties, Wisconsin, 1873 - 1910."

Rev Bronson

Michael E Dorsey (View posts)
Surnames: Rev Alffred Bronso
Rev Bronson was the first Protestant minister to arrive in Prairie du Chien, the year was 1835. His was chuech was built in 1843 the second oldest church in Prairie du Chien,St Gabriel's Catholic Church being the first.

Rev. Alfred Bronson

Ted Steele (View posts)
Surnames: BRONSON, STEELE, ANNIS
Hello,
My great-grandfather, William W. Steele, married Martha A. Annis on 3 Oct 1866 at Prarie du Chien. The minister who performed the ceremony was Alfred Bronson, D. D.
I would like to determine what church my great-grandparents were married in. Does anyone know what church Rev. Bronson was affiliated with?
I have never understood why a couple who both lived in Edgewood (Delaware Co.), Iowa, would have gone to Prarie du chien to be married. Any ideas?
Thanks, Ted

Rev. Brunson comes to Wisconsin

Posted: 16 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 14 Aug 2001 4:35AM GMT
Surnames: Brunson
I'd like to know if anyone has any idea of marriages that Rev. Brunson may have had. My 3-great uncle James Fisher according to page 590 of History of Crawford County (Wisconsin) states that the earliestiers in charge of the Methodist Episcopal denomination were Elders (Alfred - name is given on page 294) Brunson and Springer. On page 294 he same book states that William and James Fisher came with Rev. Brunson from Crawford County, Pennsyvania to Crawford County, Wisconsin. I'm wondering if by chance there was some family connection.

Re: Rev. Brunson comes to Wisconsin

Posted: 2 Jul 2001 1:40PM GMT
There is a reprint of Rev. Brunson's autobiography available. It is called "A western pioneer" by Alfred Brunson.
Publisher: New York : Arno Press, 1975

I am sure you can obtain it through intralibrary loan at your local public library.

Hope this helps
Sandy Kintner dkintner@facstaff.wisc.edu

Re: Rev. Alfred Bronson

Joan Krey (View posts)
Posted: 31 Jan 2002 2:13AM GMT
Rev. Alfred Brunson was a Methodist Minister. He is also my grt, grt, grt, grt grandfather.

Joan Krey (View posts)
Posted: 31 Jan 2002 2:37AM GMT
Rev Alfred Brunson was married 3 times: Eunice Burr of Conn. married before 1815, Caroline S. Birge of Belvidere, Ilinois married 1848 and Malinda Richards of Paris, Oneida County, NY married April 3, 1861. Source:Western Pioneer by Alfred Brunson

Posted: 17 May 2008 7:11AM GMT
Just wondering if your still out there doing ancestry search. I have info on James and William Fisher in that area of Crawford County at that time. Please get back to me if you can. Tricia Fisher Cheek

Re: Rev. Alfred Bronson

Posted: 23 Mar 2013 10:25PM GMT
Surnames: Brunson
I am very interested in the topic of Rev. Alfred Brunson, formerly of Meadville PA and a number of places in Ohio and the southern portion of Michigan. There are at least four certificates in his papers at Wisc Hist. Soc. authorizing him to perform marriages in Mich Terr, Ohio--a number of counties, Wisc. Terr., and Iowa Terr. He was a Methodist and a presiding elder who attended annual conferences. He went west from Penna in 1835 because he felt called to work with Indians. His wife was willing and his kids were mostly grown. He chose Prairie du Chien as a central location. He founded churches in white communities and also started up missions to the Dakota in the future vicinity of St. Paul and to Ojibwe at Sandy Lake and Fond du Lac and Upper Peninsula of Mich. He served as Ojibwe sub-agent in Indian Agency at LaPointe in 1842-43 but got canned for not being willing to screw the Indians. He was a member of the Wisc. Terr. legislature and had a law practice. He loved to write and his papers are voluminous. Some of his stuff got published in Wisc. Hist. Collections.

If anyone is able to help me uncover additional unpublished material that gives insight into 1835-1845 period, I'd appreciate it, especially if it deals with Indians or Minnesota.

The Hist Soc of Wisconsin has two boxes of his stuff in its archives. I've transcribed the Indian Agency notebook from Box 2.

His sons Benjamin and Ira were surveyors in Minn. and early citizens of Minn and/or Wisc.

Linda Bryan, St. Paul
per page

Find a board about a specific topic