Search for content in message boards

Gillilands ..Pennsylvania

Gillilands ..Pennsylvania

Posted: 29 Aug 2004 8:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gilliland/Rutherford/Stevenson/Stephenson
Good Day to all,
I am in search of information on these two Gilliland ladies.......
Vincent Rutherford first married Catherine Gilliland Jan 14, 1843 ...they share four children....she died June 15, 1854...(oh she was born about 1825)....he than married Sarah "Jane" Gilliland on March 13, 1855 and they share 12 children ...Darah died Oct 22, 1904.
I am in search of information as to who her parents are/were.....both ladies were/are from either the Huntingdon or Mifflin County,PA area's.........I OWN ALOT of books/CD'S and such from the Mifflin County area (as I live here) ........I have searched but to no avail as to who are the parents of these two women........can anyone help me?
Would appreciate any and all of your help.
Thank you
Sincerely,
Bea
beair@acsworld.com
P.S. Vincent Rutherford and Sarah Jane Gilliland are my husbands Great Grandparents.

Re: Gillilands ..Pennsylvania

Posted: 15 Sep 2004 2:55PM GMT
Edited: 8 May 2006 3:03AM GMT
Surnames: Gilliland

Sorry I cant help you but here is a suggestion. You might want to check a county map for that area as it might have been in a different county at that time. They seemed to change every year.
My Gilliland family was in Penn. in the early 1730's and then moved to Maryland.

Becca Gilliland Porter

Posted: 15 Sep 2004 3:55PM GMT
Surnames: Gilliland/Rutherford
Hi,
I found my family in Mifflin County,PA..........I found Sarah "Jane" Gilliland's parents names in on her death record. Her parents are Matthew Gilliland and Jane Cluggage......so, I went into the Mifflin County Courthouse and for a gift to my husband.......I asked if in any way if they could make up any kind of records for me.......well, I did not know BUT, any person who died prior to 1905 when you can send for their death certificate.....they could make one in the Death Registery office for $3.00 a copy. I had one made up of Sarah Jane showing proof of her parents and, one for her husband .....I also had a few done for myself when I found this out! What a GREAT thing to do........
Matthew Gilliland was born in 1788 in German Valley, Pennsylvania.........is he in your tree?

Posted: 19 Sep 2004 9:10AM GMT
Good for you. I had trouble figuring it out from Census and other data. Matthew it is. In my search I found a note posted by Robert K McConeghy III that there were three Cluggage sisters who married Gillilands -- Jane, Mary and [Martha Cluggage married to Robert b. 1807} but Matthew's line (brother to Robert?) seemed to go to his parents (not certain, but a good place to start) John Gilliland abt 1750 to 1836 died in Huntingdon Co. married to Hannah Michaels. Grandfather of Matthew [father of John 1750] appears to be John 1710 born in York Co. PA married to Jane Cluggage. Also Richard Rutherford born in 1790 in Scotland - Died in Huntingdon Co. appears to be the father of Vincent. But you probably knew this. Hope this helps. Good news should be shouted from rooftops. Keep up the good work.
Paul M. Gilliland

Posted: 20 Sep 2004 2:34PM GMT
Surnames: Rutherford/Gilliland
Good Day,
By ANY chance do you know when Ruth the wife of Richard Rutherford died and where? Do you know where Richard or Ruth are buried?
Thank You
Sincerely, Bea
beair@acsworld.com
Do you have any old photo's of the Gillilands? I am always in search of looking at old photo's..........love to see what they looked like! AND.......Who was Catherine Gilliland ...Richard's first wife?

Posted: 5 Oct 2004 8:15PM GMT
Paul I am a Gilliland and i noticed your Mathew I have a greatgreat grandfather Mathew born Feb.28 1775 in Franklin County Pa. He married a Jane or a Jennie came into Mercer County in early 1800's I am unable to find his parents or his wife's maiden name. they are buried in The Neshannock cemetery New Wilmington, Pa. Mathew had the folowing children, John born 1783, David born 1799 ( my great grandfather) Robert born 1792 Samuel, Natew born April 3, 1791, Catherine, Mary , and Nancy. Any help you might have on these Gilliland I would be appreciated for From David on I have the families and info on. You can reach me at gamma@world-net.net

Posted: 6 Oct 2004 2:31AM GMT
Surnames: Gilliland/Rutherford
Good Day,
What Matthew was this?
Would like to hear from you as well......
Do you have any "Rutherford" names in your tree?
Bea
beair@acsworld.com

Rebeccaahern (View posts)
Posted: 6 Oct 2004 3:06PM GMT
Bea I have no Rutherfords that I know of. I know nothing about Mathew except what I told you yesterday. I also know he was in the Pennsylvania Militia according to the DAR but again his records gave me nothing. Becky
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions