Search for content in message boards

Roll of Honour

Roll of Honour

Frances Mary Sharp (View posts)
Posted: 20 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: ADAM, ANDERSON, TAYLOR, MACRITCHIE, MASSON
I am still willing to look up names in the Morayshire Roll of Honour. This is a biographical record of the men and women connected with the county who took part in the Great War 1914 - 1918. First names, birth dates or addresses help as there can be many with the same surname.

Roll of Honour

Posted: 21 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 29 Mar 2002 12:02PM GMT
Frances, I realize that the name IMLACH which I am researching is not on your Surname List and the immediate ancestors of our family are from Buckie, Banffshire, however I would grateful to know if there are any listings of the extended IMLACH family who may have come from Morayshire who served in W.W.1 are on the Honour Roll. Thank you. Kathleen.

Roll of Honour

Frances Mary Sharp (View posts)
Posted: 22 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: ANDERSON, MASSON, ADAM, TAYLOR, MCRITCHIE
IMLACH, John. Mate, H.M.S. "Industry"; born at Lossiemouth, 5th June, 1880; joined at Aberdeen, May, 1915; served at Cromarty. Son of John and Jessie Imlach. Occupation, fisherman.
IMLACH, Joseph. Mate, H.M.Ships "Coryphaena" and "Guinevere"; born at Lossiemouth, 4th Feb., 1883; joined at Scapa Flow, 20th May, 1915; served at Scapa Flow. Son of John Imlach, Union Street. Lossiemouth, and Jessie Mitchell or Imlach (both deceased). Occupation, fisherman.
IMLACH, William. Mate, H.M.S. "Ben Lui"; born at Lossiemouth, 2nd Feb.,1888; joined at Inverness, 5th Jan., 1915; served at Scapa Flow. Son of John Imlach, 3 Union Street, Lossiemouth, and Jessie Mitchell or Imlach. Occupation, fisherman.

Hope this helps, Frances

Re: Roll of Honour

Kam vdBerg-Cameron (View posts)
Posted: 3 Nov 2004 10:29PM GMT
Dear Frances,
I would be very grateful if you would look up my grandfather in the Moray Roll of honour.
His name was WILLIAM BRODIE CAMERON
born 05 10 1893 in Forres. All I know is that he fought in the Belgian trenches in WW1.
Thankyou very much for taking the trouble.
Best regards, Kam vdBerg-Cameron.

Posted: 4 Apr 2011 12:41PM GMT
Surnames: Cameron Brodie
Hi Kam

I realise that it is a long time since you posted this but William Brodie Cameron was my grandfather Robert's brother. He survived WWI as I remember him as a child. My mother may remember him more. If you would like more information please let me know.

Regards

Laura

Posted: 17 Apr 2011 6:40PM GMT
Hi Laura,
great to hear from you. I remember my grandfather very well, he died when I was 36. I have managed to trace the Camerons back to David and Margaret Ross (our g.g.g.grandparents). I would love to hear about your immediate family and also compare research info. All I know about great-uncle Robert is that he married Mary Berrie, had two children Mary and Robert, was a plasterer and moved to Inverness. I expect I met him as a child but I don't remember him.
Look forward to hearing from you,
warm regards, Kam

Posted: 18 Apr 2011 8:35PM GMT
Hi Kam

Robert Cameron, William Cameron's father was the plasterer and he married Annie Brodie, and lived in Tolbooth Street in Forres, William's brother Robert is my grandfather and he married Lizzie Ann Forsyth in Keith and moved to Inverness as he was in the Railways. He also had a sister Margaret (Aunt Cis) who never married. My mother Mary Cameron has a few photos of Robert and Annie from the 1920s and also of my grandfather Robert, if you would like to see them I can ask her to look them out when I am in Inverness next week and scan then email them to if you let me know your email address. I think she also has a newspaper cutting showing your grandparents who could not attend my mum's wedding in 1952 as they were in London to receive an award. Fantastic to speak to you. Regards Laura

Posted: 20 Apr 2011 7:16PM GMT
Hi Laura,
yes of course, my mistake....I remember the story that Uncle Robert would sound the train's whistle when going through Elgin to say hello to family.
I also remember visiting Auntie Cissie at Novar estate every summer and watching the salmon. She had a small yappy dog!
I would love to see the photos, I have some old ones too which I can scan for you. How are you doing with your familytree? my email is kamcameron@hetnet.nl....I'm in the Netherlands, where are you?
regards, Kam

Re: Roll of Honour * ROBERT HAY Sept. 4th/1918*

Posted: 14 Jul 2011 12:54AM GMT
My great uncle's name was Private Robert Hay. He was killed in action Sept.4th/1918. I believe he was with the 13th Battalion Royal Fusiliers.

I also believe he was born in 1888

He was the son of James and Jane Hay of Cummingston Morayshire.

Anything you find, I would greatly appreciate.

Posted: 14 Jul 2011 7:33AM GMT
From the Commonwealth War Graves Commission web site http://www.cwgc.org/default.asp

Name: HAY, ROBERT
Initials: R
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Royal Fusiliers
Unit Text: 13th Bn.
Date of Death: 04/09/1918
Service No: 79710
Additional information: Son of Jeannie Hay, of Cummingston, Burghead, Morayshire, and the late James Hay.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 3.
Memorial: VIS-EN-ARTOIS MEMORIAL
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions