Search for content in message boards

Anyone Recognize Sceili?

Anyone Recognize Sceili?

Sceili (View posts)
Posted: 25 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Sceili, Sceilg, Skellig, Skelli, Scelli, Schelli, Scheili, Scheile, Sceil
Our last name is very unusual....can't find it anywhere. Only one family exists that we can find....us! We know grandfather, Joseph Edmond Sceili immigrated to US.....but we don't know where from. Death certificate says place of birth unknown. No immigration records that we could find. There is a faint family recollection of something about being Irish.....some family members have the red hair and look it! The closest I've ever seen is the reference to the Skellig rocks off County Kerry....original Irish word for steep rock is "Sceilg". Anyone thereabouts recognize anything? Would appreciate any information, PLEASE!
Good day to all.
Regards,
Barbara Sceili
bsceili@infowest.com

Sceili

E. Sullivan (View posts)
Posted: 27 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 3:50PM GMT
Surnames: Sceili
There is in Irish Set Dancing circles an event or an evening of Ceili dancing. This is very popular in the United States and Ireland, today.

Go into Yahoo and type Ceili Dancing, and you see what I mean.

Your grandfather could have been a dancer, and used this term for his last name. The S in front of Ceili could have been an initial, and somehow go connected to Ceili.
Posted: 29 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 21 Jun 2001 9:38PM GMT
Was your grandfather alive in the USA in 1900? If so, have you looked at the census records which asked for year of emigration, country of birth, birth year and birth month???

Best regards,
Kathy Flynn, CGRS

Sceili

B. Sceili (View posts)
Posted: 30 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Sceili
Yes.....no luck. This is very mysterious and perplexing.
Thanks for the post. Let me know if you have any other ideas about where to check.
Thanks for your help.

B. Sceili

ceili dancing

Maureen McGrath (View posts)
Surnames: O'Connell
ceili is pronounced Kaylee.

Thanks

B Sceili (View posts)
Surnames: Sceili, ceili
Thanks again. Another question.....how do you pronounce "ceili" dancing?
Thanks.
B.Sceili

Thanks

B Sceili (View posts)
Surnames: Sceili, ceili
Thanks for your response. I'm checking it out. Also found out about little Sceilig (small slick rock), an island of County Kerry. But I can't find any names associated with it. Thanks for your time.

B.

Sceili- Surname

Posted: 17 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 6 Jul 2001 10:22PM GMT
I did send you an e-mail a while back , though I don't
know if you got it.? While searching for my own family Quill
I was looking through some California land Records circa
1878 and found Francais and John STORY, who purchased some land way back then .The word SCEILI is the Irish for STORY,
which could be the surname you are looking for.

Though I don't know what country you are in ,I hope this helps. I also thought that it could be the surname SELICK,
which came from South West Kerry. Best of Luck.

Ang from Ireland.

Re: Anyone Recognize Sceili?

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 9:04PM GMT
According to Joseph Edmond Sceili's Utah death certificate (http://images.archives.utah.gov/data/81448/2259926/2259926_0...), he was born 22 October 1862 in Canada.

Joseph married Cordelia Susan Middlemiss who is my 2nd cousin 3 times removed.

Re: Anyone Recognize Sceili?

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 10:22PM GMT
It's been a long time since your post and you may have got more information by now- but when I looked at the surname I though immediately that it was an Irish version of Skelly.
If correct it may mean that your relative came from an Irish speaking district in the west or southwest of Ireland
See the site for information on Skelly surname distribution
in Ireland mid 1800's
http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/surname/index.cfm?fuseact...=

annclare
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions