Search for content in message boards

SMOCK,CAYSE,MARTIN,MOORE,VAN ARSDALE

SMOCK,CAYSE(CAYCE)MARTIN,MOORE,VAN ARSDALE

Sue (View posts)
Posted: 20 May 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi delores. I was happy to get your e-mail query. My family, such as grandfather, great-grandfather etc. came from Kentucky. I haven't had much luck with making any connections though to tie us all together. I've got plenty of SMOCK and CAYSE (CAYCE) PEOPLE Listed in my database but they're just hanging, I can't prove we are related.

I will give you a few of the names that i know for a fact are my people and see if you recognize any of them or can make a connection with me and we can help each other.

Benjamin CAYSE, born: 12/1/1887 in Casey County, Kentucky. Died: 12/9/1959 in Hamilton, Butler County, Ohio. Married: 7/29/1908 in Harrodsburg, Ky. to Mary Alice Chloe (Cora) SMOCK. They had 7 children: Hollis,James,Samuel,Mary,Francis,Martha and Mary Margaret CAYSE.

Perry L. CAYSE, born: 2/13/1865 in Garrard County, Ky, Died: 1/19/1953 in Hamilton, Butler County, Ohio. Married in 1886 to Martha (Mattie) Ann Martin. They had 11 children: Agnas,Cora,Lewis,Mattie,Paul,Benjamin,William,Emmanuel,Herbert,Morris and Edward CAYSE.

Robert CAYSE married a woman named Harriet. I don't know how many children they had but they were the parents of my great grandfather: Perry L. CAYSE.

John MARTIN was born in Lisbon, Grafton County, New Hamsphire and married a woman named Julia Smith. They had 3 children: Charles Henry MARTIN - born: 2/21/1843 in Lisbon, New Hampshire, died: 1868 in Lancaster, Garrard County, Kentucky. Married a woman named Lucinda (Lucindie) Walden. Harvey C. MARTIN was born 2/6/1845 and Cordelia MARTIN was born 4/8/1846.

Charles and Lucinda had9 children: Adeline,Mary,John L.,James M.,Martha (Mattie) Ann,Oliver Walker,George Thomas and Alma MARTIN.

This is some of what I have. Hopefully it will be enough to see if there is hope for the two of us to further our knowledge of our ancestry.

Thinking Postive,

Sue

MARTIN;CAYCE:MESSENCUP;OURIE

Delores Ellis (View posts)

Sue. My querie is online now. Am interested in your
Martin and Cayce (my spelling) families.

SMOCK,CAYSE,MARTIN,MOORE,VAN ARSDALE

Sue (View posts)
I have been searching for 5 years but cannot make a connection. I believe my SMOCK ancestors orginally settled in Conewago, York County, Pennsylvania.

My great grandmother: Martha (Mattie) Ann MARTIN in married in 1886 to Perry L. CAYSE. They had 11 children: Agnas,Cora,Lewis,Mattie,Paul,Benjamin (my grandfather),William,Emmanuel,Herbert,Morris and Edward CAYSE. Benjamin CAYSE married May Alice Chloe (Cora) SMOCK ON July 29, 1908 in Harrodsburg, KY (Christian Church). They had 7 children: Hollis,James,Samuel,Mary,Francis,Martha Alma (my mother) and Mary Margaret CAYSE.

After leaving Pennsylvania a lot of my Cayse and Smock ancestors settled in Kentucky, Ohio and Indiana.

Any help out there would certainly be appreciated. Will share what I have. My family file has over 2,000 names of family members but, scattered, not able to hook up with my people.

Thank you - Sue

MARTIN< ETC

Delores Ellis (View posts)
Posted: 21 May 1998 12:00PM GMT

No connections, Sue. My family Martin b. York County
and my family Cayce b. VA. All came West at early time.
Thank you for responding!

Re: SMOCK ancestors in York PA

Posted: 9 Jan 2003 3:16AM GMT
Edited: 24 Jan 2003 5:59AM GMT
I have been tryin to find what happened to the family that came here. One would have been a Smock in East PA.
I am descendant of Eva Klein and Wilhelm Momeyer.

In ABSTRACTS OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA, WILLS, 1749 to 1820, is the following:
Klein, Gerlach; died October 17th, 1785. Will probated December 5th, 1785. Executor, William Momeyer, Berwick Township.
Children of Gerlach Klein:
Catherine Magdelene, wife of Jacob Heitzel
Ann, wife of Mathias Smeck (Smock.Other resources say Smock.)
Eve, wife of William Momeyer
John
Christian

I have some great info on the Kleins/Klines and Momeyers.

was browsing thru to see if there were Smocks in York at the time, where they might have went to.

Posted: 26 May 2011 2:27AM GMT
who is your Eve Klein's parents? I'm looking for a Mathias Klein b. 1754.

Posted: 27 May 2011 9:33AM GMT
Johanne Ludwig Gerlach Klein, born Sept 7, 1717, in Baden, died Nov 13, 1785 In Pennsylvania. (his Will says died Oct 17.)
Usually referred to as Gerlach. Sometimes Johanne Ludwig or John Gerlach. Typos say Berlach or Berbach.
Gerlach married on May 23, 1732, to Anna Catherine, in Baden. She died Oct 17, 1767 in Pennsylvania.
They arrived in America on the ship Edinburg, on Oct 2, 1753, and settled in York County, Berwick Twp.

Gerlach Klein and Anna Catherine had NINE children:
1.) Katrina Klein
2.) Catherine Magdelene
3.) Mary Catherine
4.) Elizabeth Katrina
5.) Anna Katrina Klein, “Anne” born Dec 15, 1751, was about 34 when her father died in 1785. She married Mathias Smock
6.) John Ludwig Klein
7.) Eva Klein, born feb23, 1758, died Jan 25, 1849. about age 27 when her father died. She married Wilhelm Momeyer, aka William Momeyer. (He was about 45 when Gerlach died.)
Klein book: "On the 23rd day of February 1758, on Thursday in the morning at 6 o'clock, the lord gave us a young daughter, her name is Eva. She was baptized on Ascension Day and her godfather is Christopher Foldenberger and his wife was godmother."
8.) John Engel Klein, (Kline)
9.) Christian Klein (Kline)

Posted: 27 May 2011 11:23AM GMT
any chance that Gerlach had a brother who had a son Mathias who was born in 1754? Mathias would be about the same age as Gerlach's children. That would be great if Gerlach's offspring would be Mathias' cousins.

Re: SMOCK,CAYSE(CAYCE)MARTIN,MOORE,VAN ARSDALE

Posted: 26 May 2013 1:25AM GMT
Hi, my great grandmother was Adeline Cayse, a sister of Perry and daughter of Charles Robert Cayse from Garrard Co. I have a picture of her and brother Jim (James). Do you have very much information on her? Thanks.

Re: SMOCK,CAYSE(CAYCE)MARTIN,MOORE,VAN ARSDALE

Posted: 26 May 2013 5:14PM GMT
Series: M653 Roll: 368 Page: 641
1860 - Lancaster, Garrard Co., KY - 6/5/1860
Kays, Robert - 36 - m - turnpiker - $---/100
--- Elizabeth - 34 - f
--- Sarah E. - 8 - f
--- George - 5 - m
--- Henry C. - 4 - m
--- Davis - 26 - m - turnpiker
KY for all.

Series: M593 Roll: 463 Page: 414
1870 - 3-Dist Lancaster, Garrard Co., KY - 6/15/1870
Cayse, Robert - m - w - farm labor - cannot read/cannot write
--- Elizabeth - 43 - f - w - keeping house - cannot read/cannot write
--- Sarah E. - 17 - f - w
--- George - 15 - m - w - cannot read/cannot write
--- Henry C. - 12 - m - w - cannot read/cannot write
--- Adeline - 9 - f - w
--- Benjamin - 7 - m - w
--- Perry L. - 4 - m - w
--- John M. - 1 - m - w
Suell, Sallie - 70 - f - w - no occupation
--- Louisa J. - 30 - f - w - no occupation
KY for all.

Series: T9 Roll: 415 Page: 536a & b
1880 - Bryantsville, Garrard Co., KY - 6/15/1880
Cayse, Robert - w - m - 56 - head - married - farming
--- Elizabeth - w - f - 54 - wife - married - keeping house
--- George - w - m - 25 - son - single - farm hand
--- Benjamin - w - m - 17 - son - single - farm hand
--- Perry - w - m - 14 - son - single - farm hand
--- Malcolm - w - m - 11 - son - single - at home
--- Mollie - w - f - 8 - dau. - single - at home
Sewel, Sarah - w - f - 83 - mother-in-law - widowed - boarding
--- Jane - w - f - 41 - sister-in-law - single - boarding
KY/KY/KY for the Cayse family; SC/MD/SC for Sarah Sewell; KY/SC/GA for Jane Sewell.
All are noted as cannot read/cannot write, excepting Benjamin (cannot write) and Mollie (no notation).
All are noted as well, except Jane (has fits).

Did your Adaline marry a William Walker?

Hope there is something useful here. Good luck with your search!

Debra
per page

Find a board about a specific topic