Search for content in message boards

Great Great Grandfather Littleberry Harris, Cherokee

Posted: 2 Jan 2003 4:59AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Feb 2006 7:57PM GMT
Surnames: Harris
Hi, I am trying to locate information on my Great Great Grandfather. All I know is he was called Littleberry Harris. He was a Cherokee Chief. Came from Oklahoma. Children were Pearl, Elsie, Jessie and Pete, possibly others. If there is anyone with knowledge of this person please contact me. It would be greatly appreciated.

ginny hobson (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jan 2003 10:58PM GMT
Edited: 10 Feb 2006 7:58PM GMT
know nothing about littleberry, but do u know anything about Chief Raintree Harris from N.C. if so please e-mail me and I will be on the lookout for littleberry,
thank u so much for any help u can be

Posted: 25 Jul 2003 4:42PM GMT
Edited: 10 Feb 2006 7:58PM GMT
This might help in your search. Contact the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma. Their address is P. O. Box 948, Tahlequah, Oklahoma, 74465.

Re: Great Great Grandfather Littleberry Harris, Cherokee

Posted: 14 Dec 2006 1:10AM GMT
do you know how they spelled this little berry name?

Posted: 14 Dec 2006 4:51AM GMT
Edited: 15 Dec 2006 3:45PM GMT
I believe it is spelled all together, Littleberry Harris.

Would love any and all information about him. I know very little, and can't confirm much of what I know.

Thanks, Lynda

Posted: 14 Dec 2006 5:31PM GMT
Edited: 15 Dec 2006 3:46PM GMT
Surnames: Boggs, Harris
HI Lynda well what I am looking for is the spelling in any indian language of his name little berry. do you guys have that? if you find it can you let me know . if it is something like my families "berry" names maybe we can figure something out.
I am here because some Boggs and some harris folks came back with the same Dna and I am looking around for clues to anyone that might be family and how they might be connected,
this guy of yours names little berry is something I find interesting .. usually the ladies in the family are called berry type names but maybe he is trying to link to some ladies in my family see... to prove his indian blood/ family connections . I need to see how he spells it and who his mom and grandma's might be, that might help too. renee

Posted: 2 Feb 2009 5:41PM GMT
The spelling is Little Berry Harris, was from Malden MO. Dob-1860.Was my Great-Great Grandfather, and Lynda is my cousin. So we are related to the Boggs family. Do you know if we have any Cherokee Blood? Little Berry, and his wife Nora M. Harris, had a Homstead in Quartz Ok. in 1895-1905, both passed away in Ca. Please contact me Harold R. Malone, email is Schatzi35@verizon.net We can share some info on the Harris family.

Posted: 2 Feb 2009 9:33PM GMT
Hello Herold
I was hoping maybe that the Harris's could tell me more about their family say maybe on the drennen rolls? or removal rolls" or commodities just before the trail of tears.. or something like that. to see how they were using the word "little berry".
well for sure the name Boggs is associateds to Shoeboots daughter.. I had thought that maybe the name harris is also a name my grandma had talked about.. but I do not now know if it is to his first family or say to his sisters families.
one man conntacted me and said he was related to shoeboots/ AKA turtle at home.
and she used the name templeton and that name was for sure one grandma had used to tell me about relations.
anyway he wasn't a direct relation of showboots but was a relation of shoeboots probably twin sister Chahwahyoucah through the spencer line.
I believe Chah wahyou cah
can also be spelled Ka hu ga
and it means somehting like going to the scratchy place.. thus "berries" "kanuga" is like black berry but it isn't about the berries as about the getting them..

Chahwahyoucah wife of Pumkin Boy was his twin sister I think, formally known as probably elizabeth. the reason I believe that is
she may have also gone by lily or lucy or maybe called betsey or all of them.. he has one sister (for sure) named Peggy and taketeaski ( or maybe katieteaski/ katie walkingstick/walker is my guess) teaski seems ot be somehting walking we think.
they change their names so much and use so many names. it is hard to find them and track them back then.

I am in pursuit of shoeboots very first family. from a I think white woman.. captive maybe.. one daughter married a Boggs and the father or grandpa of this white women was a governor or someone high in political or military power.
I still have been unable to forsure locate the daughter of shoeboots who married a Boggs.. so I do not know how much help I can be to you all. I just have alot of names spoke one time or another by my great grandma. they are in my head from stories of him and his sisters and or brothers familie.
they are now just disconnected names in my poor head... but I do believe Harris is a name mentioned by my grandma.. that is somehow connected to shoeboots family or his siblings families, or maybe just part of one of the stories.. well maybe up one more generation to Oconostota's and his siblings family maybe. and now you know why I am confused.. ;P
anyway my pursiut has been am trying to located shoeboots pre- clarinda's family. which had at least one son and a few daughters.
anything I can do to help you all just let me know..
but I am sorry but I thing the things grandma said, I have forgotten more than I remember. way more than I remember..
those children from shoeboots very first wife would have been born about 1775 to 1795.. that is the target years.
and her name was pretty sure "mary"
could be Bayless or maybe Hughes or gosh to many names that are just in my head.. so exactly how were the Boggs and Harris ' related?

Posted: 2 Feb 2009 11:15PM GMT
Hi, Waiya, thank you for responding to my posting. Have checked all the Indian rolls, could not find any Little Berry Harris, guess they stayed away from the tribes, and reservations. All the census files say he was white. Found Little Berry's Dad, his name was also Little Berry, had a land tract in MO., also found his dad, named Little Berry.Guess they did not want to be known as Indians, afraid to be perscuted. Just like alot of Native Americans went on the rolls as blacks, the blacks had more rights then the Native American Indians. Little Berry, and his wife Nora died in California, where I live. We have to keep in touch. My email is Schatzi35@verizon.net
Thanks again, Harold
Ps. my cousin Lynda did some posting on this site in 2003, but she did not know how to get back on the site, and did not reply to any of the postings. So glad to be in touch with a real Native American.My mother always said that I had Cherokee Blood, which I am proud to have, but never did get more info, from my Grandmother, and Mother when they were alive. My Grandmother never talked about growing up in Ok., guess it must have been a very bad time.

Posted: 6 Feb 2009 7:59PM GMT
Surnames: Shoeboots
Trying to get in touch with Waiya. You posted on Feb 2009, that you are associated with Boggs, and Shoeboots daughter.
I found on my searching for you, the name Eliza Shoeboots-1835 records of the Cherokee Agency in Tennessee, Etowa river,,, Georgia. Was wondering if this may be you're relative. Contact, Harold R. Malone. email Schatzi35@verizon.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic