Search for content in message boards

Richard or Richards family Kilraughts/ Ballymoney

Richard or Richards family Kilraughts/ Ballymoney

Linde Lunney (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jan 2005 10:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
My connection with this family is distant, but I'm curious about them. They seem to have been prominent in n. Antrim, probably settled there since th 1660s and more than likely before. Were they originally of Irish or Scots Gaelic origin?

Re: Richard or Richards family Kilraughts/ Ballymoney

Hugh Macartney (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jan 2005 12:34AM GMT
Edited: 3 Feb 2005 12:39AM GMT
Surnames: Richards
Richard/Richards/Richardson derived from Old English Ric-hard - powerful ruler. Richard can also be of French/Norman origin. Those in Ballymoney likely were settled there just before or just after 1600. Richard is found in Scotland but does not appear to be a name of Celtic origin. Several Richards in Scotland were murdered in 1685 because they would not renounce their Presbyterian faith and swear allegiance to the Church of England. They are included with the countless other Presbyterian martyrs who were tortured, banished into slavery or killed.

Re: Richard or Richards family Kilraughts/ Ballymoney

Linde Lunney (View posts)
Posted: 31 Jan 2005 8:59AM GMT
Thanks for your reply. I thought it was likely that the name was originally Norman, and your information confirms this. It looks as if they may have a long history of residence in north Antrim, from Norman times on. I think possibly they might have been one of the Anglo-Norman families who took on Gaelic ways or at least used Gaelic/Irish naming patterns in the generations immediately preceding the Reformation, and who then became Protestant. Certainly there are a couple of McRichards in the area, in early records; in 1641 there was a Brian McRichard holding land in Ballyrashane.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions