Search for content in message boards

Which John Grant?

Which John Grant?

Posted: 22 Jan 2007 5:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Grant
Since the researching the life and family of John Grant UEL, I was wondering if anyone knows for sure whether John "Duldreaggan" or "Duldreggan" Grant is the same man as John "Big John the Robber" Grant or are they two separate men?

What are the differences?

Thanks!
rothycat@hotmail.com

Maggie Barron

Looking for John Grant?

Posted: 17 Jul 2011 7:47PM GMT
Surnames: Grant

I am trying to find some possible relations between a Grant family in Lachine, c. 1780-1830, near Montreal Canada, said tto be be from Glenmoriston.

They were three brothers:
1. John, described as merchant and forwarder, c. 1751 - d 1817 in Lachine. He could have been in Oswegatchie c. 1779 where his house and farm were burned down. He then came to Montreal.

From unproven sources, he is said to have been a nephew of captain Alexander Grant, b 1734 Glenmoriston, son of Patrick Grant and Isobel Grant.

2. Duncan and Peter, fur traders with the North West Company
Said to be related (uncles or cousins) to explorer Simon Fraser, whose mother's name was Isobel, or Isabella Grant.

Very little is known about these Grant, yet John played an important part in the history of Lachine.
Any light, help or hint would be more that welcome.

Hélène Lamarche, president
Société d'histoire de Lachine

Re: Looking for John Grant?

Posted: 27 Oct 2011 6:11PM GMT
John Grant was the brother Alexander Grant.

From a published newspaper in Quebec. "23 June 1829: At Charlottenburg, U.C. on 9th ult., aged 72 Alexander Grant, a native of Inverness-shire, and brother to the late John Grant, of Lachine."

Do you have any info on John & Alexanders Father?

Posted: 3 Feb 2012 7:55PM GMT
Hi Joe:
John Grant of Lachine is not a brother to your Alexander Grant.
Further to our researching we found that the name of the wife of Alexander Grant (brother to John Grant)was Catherine and she died 25 April 1818 in Charlottenburg, Ontario. Wm Reid's death Notices of Ontario.
Anne Neuman

Posted: 3 Feb 2012 11:06PM GMT
Anne,

Thanks for researching! That means the death notice I thought was for my Alexander was for Catherine's husband. Therefore, my death date for my Alex reverts to "after 1851" which I had before we discovered the incorrect death notice.

Thanks again for this. Do you have any more information on his wife: Sarah Claridge? I think you once mentioned New York and him being a prisoner during the war.

I really appericiate this again.
Joe Cunningham

Posted: 9 Apr 2013 1:16AM GMT
The John Grant I am researching was a prisoner of war near Skeensborough now Whitehall. It is mentioned in his land petition.

He is John Grant on Lot 12 on the Front. He first married Margaret Grant from Montreal then he married Flora Grant.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic