Search for content in message boards

Collins Melungeon Line

Collins Melungeon Line

Posted: 24 Feb 2006 1:04AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Collins, Helton, Coleman, Puckett, Dale, Ratliff, Davidson
I'm looking for any "lost" cousins out there who might be from my Melungeon Collins line. All the way from North Carolina to Johnson/Pike/Magoffin counties, Kentucky to Hawkins Co., Tennessee with some Virginia thrown in. I've got lots of gaps and would like to fill them and am willing to share what information I have.

My line, starting with my father, is Marshall Mason Franklin Collins (m.Jewel Coleman)--- Daniel Mason Collins (m. Nancy Cordelia Helton)---Sanford "Black Bud" Collins (m. Lydia Davidson)---William Collins (m. Levisa Ratliff)---Joshua Collins (m. Elizabeth Dale---Valentine Collins (m. Ludicia/Dicy Price)--- Samuel Collins (m. ?)---Thomas (?) Collins (m.?)....

Were Valentine and Vardy Collins brothers?

Looking forward to hearing from you....Pat (Collins) Hembling

Re: Collins Melungeon Line

Posted: 27 Feb 2006 7:19PM GMT
Edited: 21 Apr 2006 3:44AM GMT
Some believe Vardy and Valentine were brothers but I dont think it's been proven. It seems obvious that they were closely related. I elieve Valentine's DNA had been tested, but I dont think Vardy's has.

Don Collins (View posts)
Posted: 9 Mar 2006 5:27AM GMT
Hello Pat,
I also descend from Joshua Collins (and his brother David). Would love to share/compare, notes/information.
Regards,
Don Collins
Posted: 15 Apr 2006 4:11AM GMT
Edited: 26 May 2006 10:02PM GMT
Surnames: Collins
Valentine Collins' y-DNA type is African. Those families who were identified as Mulatto are being typed as E3a, and those were not identified as Mulatto are being typed as not E3a. There is little doubt that Vardy Collins will be E3a when a descendent is finally tested (of course someone already has been tested and they are E3a but we can't say that).

Posted: 15 Apr 2006 6:37AM GMT
But do the results determine if Valentine and Vardy were closely related? Could it be determined if the original Melungeon forefathers were in some cases unrelated individuals who adopted the Collins or Gibson name, which is very possible? If they were of African or Native American descent (or both), at some point they would have had to adopt surnames. Is there a way to determine whether they did so in a family context or was it more tribal?
I would feel better about Vardy's DNA results if they were made public. No disrespect intended, David, but over the past 8 years, I've seen too many people making claims of research and revelations that were said to be already discovered but just waiting to be announced on the boards and email lists, etc. Not to doubt your word or anything, but I know you wouldn't rely on word of mouth without verification either. If you know the person who was tested, I hope you can convince them to go public.
Posted: 15 Apr 2006 3:08PM GMT
Surnames: Collins
I think that you are absolutely correct. It is probably not a good idea to presume that all of the Collins of the tri-state area or even Hawkins and Hancock counties were closely related. The DNA data may show they are not related at all. We don't know their origin in America, and we don't know how they got their name.

Don Collins (View posts)
Posted: 15 Apr 2006 10:20PM GMT
Surnames: Collins, Dale, Caudill, Dalbow
Hello,
I am the Collins that was tested for the Valentine Collins line at the Core Melungeon Project. Word has it that a Vardy descendent has been tested and results should be coming back in early May. Also I have an exact match (12 marker) with a Bunch and a second match that is a Genetic Distance - 1, also a Bunch. This is all getting very interesting, and I am exited to see the Vardy results. I'm sure they will be posted at the Core Project as soon as the come in. Have a great Easter !
Regards,
Don Collins

Posted: 15 Apr 2006 11:21PM GMT
I have to admit that I'm very confused about how DNA testing works, even though I've had it explained to me several times. A few years ago, there were some who said that DNA testing would not be able to tell us anything about Melungeon origins, but I understand that the testing methods have improved (?).
The funny thing about the Melungeon Bunches is that William Grohse and Rev Taylor swore that the Bunches were 100% white and never Melungeons, even though judge Jarvis identified Paul Bunch as a "chief" Melungeon.

Don Collins (View posts)
Posted: 16 Apr 2006 12:00AM GMT
There is a great book by Ann Turner and Megan Smolenyak called "Trace your Roots with DNA". It is available on Amazon. Really worth reading. I guess William Grohse and Rev Taylor were both incorrect, or they just saw that the Bunches looked "white". Also here is a link that might be of help:
http://tinyurl.com/ew7fo It's to bad we don't have photos of the oldtimers. I don't know if DNA testing will ever show the "origins" of the Melungeons, but I do think it will give us some new pieces to the puzzle.
Don Collins
Posted: 16 Apr 2006 10:11PM GMT
Surnames: Jarvis, Collins
Jarvis was born long after the Melungeons arrived in Hawkins County. He is also known to have taken money to write statements for war veterans. I don't think that anything that he said in records is credible. This is not to say he was a bad person, but it is reported that his wife was insane and he used the money to help her.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic