Search for content in message boards

Hester Family Tree

Hester Family Tree

Posted: 19 Sep 2010 6:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: HESTER
I am trying to trace the family of John & Ellen Hester, who emigrated from England in 1908 arriving at Nova Scotia. When they emigrated they had a baby son (only 2 months old) called Percy. John had a brother Robert who also emigrated to Nova Scotia, Canada in the early 1900's. Both families moved to Ontario, Canada at some point, and both John & Robert died in Ontario in 1963. I believe John & Ellen also had a daughter called Doris, who married a Reg Chandler, and I think they both lived in Ontario, and then ended up living in Sandy Cove Acre, Stroud, Canada. John & Robert were my great uncles - my paternal grandmother's brothers. I would love to hear from anyone who could help me.

Re: Hester Family Tree

Posted: 20 Sep 2010 9:52PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: HESTER, WHEELER
Name: Davis Maud Helen Hester
Date of Birth: 29 Jun 1910
Birth County: 43 PRI[S]E STREET, York
Father's Name: John A Hester - LABOURER
Mother's Name: Helen Wheeler
MARRIED UXBRIDGE, MIDDLESEX ENGLAND 1904

No. 005847
Archives of Ontario Microfilm: MS929_207

Marriages Jun 1905
WHEELER Ellen Caroline
+
HESTER John Robert
REG IN Uxbridge
VOLUME 3a
PAGE 89

Posted: 21 Sep 2010 3:41AM GMT
Attestation Papers (W.W.I) Signed 31 Jan 1916 at Toronto Ont:
John Robert HESTER of 576 Hillsdale Ave Toronto Born: 11 Nov 1874 Oxfordshire England Occupation: Yard Foreman Next-Of-Kin: Ellen HESTER, wife same address; Ever served in military before: yes, R.E. 8 yrs.

Possibly them? 1911 census North Toronto p6
John HESTER born june 1878 england arrived 1907 occup.yardman,
Agnes E. (wife) July 1883 england arrived 1907
Robert Chas.(Charles) born may 1907 ontario age 4
Charlie John born nov 1909 ontario age 2

Possibly him? - 1922 Apr 29 Canada passenger list:
John HESTER age 54 arrives on S.S.Caronia with Inland route via CNR to Cedar Dell Ont Lived Canada before- yes
Port of Entry previously- Quebec in 1907
Port of departure Montreal in 1919
Why left Canada- to see freencis(maybe this means friends)
Destination: Cedar Dell Ontario to Charles HESTER, son.
Nearest relative: Sister, Mrs. Pope (or Rope or Hope???) of 38 Hornby Rd. Peckham or Pakham (England).(Note: this destination should be "Cedar Dale" in Whitby Township, Ontario County, Ontario as there is nor ever was a Cedar Dell)

?? Marriage of son Charles Alfred HESTER 23 of Cedardale Ont born London Eng. s/o John HESTER and Sarah Jane CRISP married Alice Elizabeth BARKER 24 of same place born Eng. d/o Edward John BARKER and Elizabeth MORRIS married at Oshawa, Whitby Twp 4 Apr 1913
This Marriage doesn't seem to be the right family as mother is not Ellen unless she died when he was young and father remarried while son very young??

I don't see a Percy HESTER born 1908 so far.- Mary

Posted: 21 Sep 2010 12:02PM GMT
Surnames: HESTER / CHANDLER
Hi Mary, Thank you for all your help on this matter. I think the first John Robert Hester is the correct family, and he was definitely born in Oxfordshire. I know they arrived in Canada in 1908, and according to the emigration passenger lists they had a 2 month old son called Percy, so he must have been born in England.
I think they went on to have a daughter called Doris, who married a 'Reg Chandler', and lived in Ontario.
Many thanks once again.
Joan

Posted: 21 Sep 2010 12:07PM GMT
Many thanks for your reply. I do think that this could be the correct person, as I assume that York is a state/borough in Canada, and not the York in England. She was definitely born in Canada, where they arrived in 1908 with a son 'Percy John'.
I don't know if they went on to have any other children, but I know they ended up living in Ontario, where her father John died in 1963.
Many thanks once again.
Joan

Posted: 21 Sep 2010 12:21PM GMT
Classification: Birth
Births Jun 1906
Hester Percy John
REG IN Uxbridge
VOLUME 3a
PAGE 36

Posted: 21 Sep 2010 12:32PM GMT
Thanks so very much - great news.

Posted: 21 Sep 2010 12:38PM GMT
Classification: Immigration
you hav'nt given a birth date for John nor Ellen/Helen ??

Name: John Hester
CARMAN
Estimated birth year: abt 1875
Date of Arrival: 10 Apr 1908
Vessel: Tunisian
Port of Arrival: Halifax, Nova Scotia and St John, New Brunswick
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Roll: T-503
TICKET No. 18093

WITH
MRS 33
PER.. 2

regretfully, they are the last enties on this page and the corner showing where going is obliterated but starts with a T - Toronto?????

Posted: 21 Sep 2010 1:20PM GMT
John Robert Hester was born on 11 November 1874 in Oxfordshire, England, but I am afraid I do not have a date of birth for Ellen, although I think she was virtually the same age as him.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions