Search for content in message boards

Ty Cobb

Posted: 31 Jul 2000 10:57AM GMT
Edited: 15 Jul 2001 7:46PM GMT
Anyone have the family history on baseball great Ty Cobb,some say our Cobb line fits in.Thank you.

I need the same info!!

Jennifer Cadle (View posts)
Posted: 5 Aug 2000 8:16PM GMT
Posted: 31 Aug 2000 3:28PM GMT
Edited: 30 Jun 2001 4:43AM GMT
We are supposedly related to Ty Cobb as well, not proven for certain. The information we have is that Ty Cobb was born in Banks County, Ga, in 1886 to William H. and Amanda Cobb. Amanda was 15 years old when Ty Cobb was born. His full name is Tyrus Raymond Cobb. Began playing baseball for the Detroit Tigers in 1905, played 24 seasons in the American League, 22 for Detroit and 2 for Philadelphia. Lifetime batting average of .367 and stole 892 bases. He was an excellent strategist and a brilliant outfielder. He managed the Tigers from 1921-1926. He won the penant for his team in 1907, won the batting championship for 20 years, 12 of them in a 13 year period. He was described as being a tornado, hurricane and typhoon all rolled into one. Elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1936. His father was very strict, didn't show his love for the children, and at 17 years of age Ty left home, his dad's parting words to him were "don't come home a failure."

Ty Cobb's mother shot his dad, his dad had accused her of having an affair and he was sneaking in the window to catch her, she mistook him for a prowler and shot and killed him. Ty was 18 years old, and never got over his fathers death at the hand of his mother. He had a bad temper and fought all the time, he slept with a gun at his side. He was more admired than loved, did not have friends, but that was by his own choice. He had to be first in all things,he had to "out do" the other fellow at all cost. There were few who could match his speed - he was a great ball player and that seemed to be all he wanted.

Hope this thumbnail sketch will help and that together we might be able to make the connections with Ty Cobb and our families, will be anxious to hear from others and their family connections.

And yes, my husband is a big baseball fan.
Several books have been written about Ty Cobb

Our Cobb connections from Georgia come through my husbands great grandfather James Cobb, wife Martha Jane Townsend whom we believe to be a second wife, and his son, John Tyler Cobb, who was my husbands grandfather. John Tyler had 4 brothers, James N. "Jim" Cobb, Charles E. Cobb, Joe Cobb, and Jesse Cobb.
He had three sisters, Annie Cobb Croxton, Fannie Cobb Cresswell and Augusta Cobb Phipps.

Any information on any of these families would be very much appreciated.

Jesse Cobb, son of James

Virginia Greene (View posts)
Posted: 3 Sep 2000 9:21PM GMT
I am interested in information on the years of birth for Jesse Cobb who would have been an brother to your husband's grandfather John Tyler Cobb; also birth dates or approx. dates for all the siblings of John Tyler Cobb. Please contact me. Virginia Greene vcgreene@swbell.net

jesse cobb

angie clark (View posts)
Posted: 5 Sep 2000 1:05PM GMT

Jesse Cobb

Virginia Greene (View posts)
Posted: 6 Sep 2000 12:22PM GMT
Angie, apparently our Jesse Cobbs are not the same person. My Jesse was born about 1795-1800 and was married to Nancy Reese. He died 9 Feb 1864 in Franklin Co. TN and was only married once as far as I know. He married Nancy about 1821. He was in GA prior to moving to Franklin Co TN. He did, however, have one son (Isaac) about whom I have no info except that he was prob born in early 1820's. Possibly your Jesse could be descended from him???
Virginia

jesse cobb

ANGIE (View posts)
Posted: 6 Sep 2000 6:07PM GMT
VIRGINIA THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR REPLY. YOU COULD BE RIGHT, THE JESSE I'M LOOKING FOR WAS BORN AROUND 1850-1860 AND ALSO HAD 1 BROTHER I KNOW OF NAMED FRANK.ALSO THEY WERE FROM THE SALEM KENTUCKY AREA, AND JESSE'S FIRST WIFE WAS A CHEROKEE INDIAN NAMED MARY CLARK. SHE DIED WHEN MY GGRANDMA WAS YOUNG. MY GRANDMA ALSO HAD 2 OTHER SIBLINGS THAT I HAVE NO INFO ON THAT WERE ADOPTED BY ANOTHER FAMILY WHEN JESSE REMARRIED. ALL I KNOW IS THEY WERE A BOY AND A GIRL. NOT MUCH BUT I DON'T GIVE UP EASILY. AGAIN THANK YOU IF YOU COME ACROSS ANYTHING WOULD YOU PLEASE LET ME KNOW?GOD BLESS ANGIE

TY COBB 1ST COUSIN

ANGIE (View posts)
Posted: 6 Sep 2000 7:02PM GMT
MY GREATGRANDMA WAS ALSO 1ST COUSIN TO TY COBB. WE HAVE A PIC OF HIM AS A YOUNG BOY IN THE FAMILY. HER FATHER WAS JESSE COBB, AND FRANK COBB WAS JESSE BROTHER. MY GRANDMA BELIEVES THERE WAS MORE THAN 2 SIBLINGS BUT GREATGRANDMA ONLY TALKED ABOUT FRANK.FRANK COBB WAS TY COBBS FATHER.IF YOU COME ACROSS ANY INFO LET ME KNOW AND I'LL DO THE SAME,WE ARE POSSIBLY LINKED BY TY COBB!MY GREATGRANDMA NAME WAS MAGGIE MABLE COBB DAU OF JESSE AND MARY CLARK COBB.THERE ARE ALSO 2 SIBLINGS THAT I'M LOOKING FOR THAT WERE SEPARATED WHEN MARY CLARK COBB DIED ABOUT 1888 OR SO.DOES THIS CAUSE ANY SPARK?

Tyrus R. Cobb

Wesley Fricks (View posts)
Posted: 27 Sep 2000 6:40AM GMT
I have all the information on Ty Cobb. Family and career. Please contact me at WesleyFricks@aol.com.
Sincerely,
Wesley
Posted: 10 Jan 2001 5:02AM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 8:11PM GMT
Angie: Do you know who Frank Cobb's father was? I show in our records that there was a Jesse I. Cobb whose father was Isaac E. Cobb. He was born about 1883? Our family went to Carroll County from the Hart County area and my husband's uncle told me that we were related to Ty Cobb before he died, but he had not connected it on paper.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions