Search for content in message boards

Mills / Wampanoag Indians

Mills / Wampanoag Indians

Judy Wilson (View posts)
Posted: 26 May 2000 12:14PM GMT
The following statement came from husband's Grandfather, Edward I. Mills,deceased his family - Mills:

Hedikiah Mills married Mary Eligood in Ireland - came to America 1670 - died 1704. Their son, Gulby Isaac Mills marred Pocohee, daughter of Sub-Chief of Algonquin Indians (Pokomokets) Wampanoags. Pocohee's father, Powhatan was big chief of 35 tribes. Gulby died in 1750. They had 2 sons, Balaam Leslie and Eligood. Balaam Leslie married Preserved Woodruff, a first cousin of General Green. Both sons fought in French and Indian War and were both Captains in Colonial Army in Revolution. Balaam Lesslie was Capt in Mass Eight Horse Brigade and Eligood, a Capt in Virginia Infantry. Balaam Leslie died in 1800. Abraham Isaac Mill, son of Balaam married Prudence Baba Brayton. Sergeant in War of 1812 - killed in action. Their son, Elijah Isaac married Alathina Pierce -- was Sergeant in Mexican War and died in 1850. There son John James had 3 sons: James, John, Isaac Clarkson and 2 daughters: Maggie and Jennie.

Hope this information may be helpful to someone. Also, would like to hear from anyone if the above fits in with their family tree.

Mills family

Carol Mikelsen (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jun 2000 11:20AM GMT
I am trying to find information about a Mills family that lived in Kentucky, I don't know the county. My grandfather's grandmother, Andromache Mills was born there August 18, 1816. She later married Enoch Cox McClanahan in Cooper County, Missouri August 4, 1838. Please e-mail if you find any links. Thanks

Harriet Mills born 1838 gave birth to Mary E. Powe in 1858 in Wayne MS

Posted: 13 Jun 2000 10:42AM GMT
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 12:19PM GMT
I would love to find out who she was and where she came from.

Harriet Mills

Posted: 28 Jun 2000 6:42PM GMT
Edited: 18 Jul 2001 8:37PM GMT
This is fascinating. My grandmother was Harriet Awilda Mills- Born 9 April 1877- and married Thomas Hampton Trigg in Wayne Co. Ms. Do you suppose there is a connection?

Re: Mills family

linda (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jan 2002 3:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
The site that I found most helpful is http://kinnexions.com/smlawson/mcclanah.htm Andromache Mills McClanahan is also my 2nd great grandmother. Her daughter Elizabeth married Isaac Newton Payne and their child William Bertram Payne was my grandfather. I would be interested to know from which line you are a descendent. I have other records besides the information found at the above mentioned site. Linda

Re: Mills / Wampanoag Indians

linda (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jan 2002 3:26PM GMT
Andromache Mills was my 2nd great grandmother, her father was Caleb W. Mills, mother Erzilla (East), his father was John Mills, wife Elizabeth (Ewing) Andromache was born 18 August 1816 we think in Kentucky. I would be very interested to know if there is a link. Thanks Linda

Re: Mills / Wampanoag Indians

Dave Rudge (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jan 2002 3:26AM GMT
I have extensive information about a branch of the Mills family that migrated to Maine located here:

http://vms.cc.wmich.edu/~rudged/gen/mills.html

The name Eligood appears as one of the descendants, but I am certain his parents were Luke and Hannah nee Lang Mills.

Carol (Mc Clanahan) Mikelsen (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jan 2002 3:49PM GMT
Thank you for the reply. Most of the things that I know about my ancestry were first found on the Kinnexions website. Are you related to Cova Williams? She is from the Payne side of the family also. My mom, sisters, and I got to meet her and one daughter Farrah a couple of years ago. It was really a great experience. Carol

linda (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jan 2002 4:28AM GMT
Yes I am related to Cova, I found her when I was looking up information and we wrote back and forth for awhile. I lost her address. Unfortunately I haven't written or heard from her in several years. I would like to communicate with you more about the family and find out how we are related. I'm not real familar with this message board but I feel like everything I write, anyone can read. I will fiddle around with this and see if I can send a more private communication. Linda Payne/Benkula

Carol (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jan 2002 3:14PM GMT
Linda, nice to meet you. Yes, I also feel that anything on a message board can be read by anyone. I have Cova's address and phone number from two years ago, but I don't want to post them here. Every junk and spam mailer has my e-mail anyway, so that I'll risk that. Contact me at Haake_RB@msn.com. I am related through Edwin French McClanahan a son of Enoch Cox McC. and Andromache Mills. I recently found out that Andromache had a sister Penelope. I don't know much about that, but my brother-in-law tells me the girls names are from Greek hero's wives names. Curious? Carol
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions