Search for content in message boards

DNA through Ancestry

DNA through Ancestry

Posted: 13 Feb 2013 7:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Has any Putmans done their Autosomal DNA Through Ancestry yet? It will help all the Putman to connect with cousins if you have the same DNA.

Re: DNA through Ancestry

Posted: 14 Feb 2013 2:31AM GMT
Surnames: Putman, Pootman, Vom Broch
Hi,

It's nice that you have an interest in Putman/Putnam Y-DNA. I have had my Y-DNA tested and find that I am I1-DF29*. I'm now having the SNP L69 tested.

I know that at least one Putman descendant of Johannes and Cornelia Pootman's son Cornelius has have his Y-DNA tested at ancestry.com, which matches the Dutch-American tests done at familytreedna.com.

Other results are found at the following link: http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/putnam/results

I know now that there is an SNP direction to one's ancestry more so now than STR values although STR values are still very important.

The Dutch-Amerian Putman's are I1-M253 or I1-DF29*, which are two ways of essentially saying the same thing. I1-DF29* is more exact.

The Putman/Pootman family Y-DNA is close to the Vom Broch family's y-DNA, and the reportedly place of origin of the families is very anciently Denmark while the Pootman family was more recently, 400 years ago, from the Netherlands and the Vom Broch family was from Germany.

Y-DNA is allowing us to "better see the family tree". While some people like to trace family history only back as far as given and surnames were used, I feel confortable seeing "families" as alpha-numeric characters such as the I1-DF29* reference above. It look at it as a "social security" like number that enlightens our past family history.

Re: DNA through Ancestry

Posted: 8 Apr 2013 10:57PM GMT
Edited: 10 Apr 2013 1:26AM GMT
With the new DNA test that Ancestry.com is doing I have 5 Putman DNA tree matches. This is great and i have been able to break down some brick walls.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic