Posted: 19 Apr 2006 9:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: harris
barney harris wife nelly originally in pleasant grove,MS. later SARDIS<MS

Re: harris family

Ruth (View posts)
Posted: 21 Apr 2006 5:00PM GMT
My grandfather Aaron Johnson was from Sardis, MS. Through oral history, I learned that he was related to the Harris family of Sardis, MS in Panola county. Grampa has three sisters; Martha, Virginia and Henretter who may have married into the Harris family. I would be interested to know if any of these names show up in your research. My grandfather, as well as his sisters were all born in the 1870's.

michele (View posts)
Posted: 22 Apr 2006 11:57PM GMT
MY GRT-GRT GRANDFATHER MARRIED NELLY THEY HAD A SON WALTER WHO LOCATED TO BATESVILLE,MS. I'M NOT SURE BUT UNCLE"BUD" OR WALTER HARRIS WIFE NAME BUT HE HAD A GRAND DAUGHTER NAME VIRGINIA(CHICAGO) WHO BECAME AN ANTHONY. I BELIEVE VIRGINIA MAIDEN NAME WAS FENTON. MY 3RD COUSIN DIED LAST MONTH SHE WAS 96 AND THE OLDEST AT BATESVILLE. TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION NELLY AND BARNEY WERE BORN IN THE 1840'S AND 1850'S. SO WALTER HARRIS PROBABLY WAS BORN IN THE 1870'S BECAUSE HIS SISTER MY GRT-GRANDMOTHER WAS BORN 1879. LET ME KNOW IF SOMETHING SOUNDS FAMILIAR. I HAVE A LOT OF INFO ON NELLY BUT NOTHING ON BARNEY HARRIS. THANKS

michele (View posts)
Posted: 23 Apr 2006 1:57AM GMT
DEAR RUTH, ON THE 1920 CENSUS WALTER HARRIS HAD SISTER WHOSE CHILDREN WHERE NAMED HARVEY,LIZZIE AND ARTHUR JOHNSON. I STILL CAN,T FIND WALTER'S WIFE BUT BY 1930 HE WAS WIDOW. WALTER DAUGHTERS WERE MAUDE ANNE,WILLANNA. ALSO, THRU ORAL HISTORY SOME MARRIED INTO BOBO FAMILY OF SARDIS,MS. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF MY INFO IN EMAILS RING A BELL. THANKS

Ruth (View posts)
Posted: 24 Apr 2006 4:18PM GMT
Surnames: Black, Gordon, Johnson, Harris, Webb, Orr, Tyler
This is very interesting because my grandfather was Aaron Johnson. He had 3 sisters. I believe one of them married into the Harris family. My grandfather's father, Lance (Land) Johnson is reported to have had some siblings. I am currently searching for them. It is possible that there is a link here somewhere - Maybe Walter's sister married a Johnson related to my Lance Johnson. I will keep you posted. You can e-mail me outright at ryarborough@sbcglobal.net.

Other surnames in my research are Black, Mitchell, Gordon. The Black's and the Mitchell's are having a reunion here in Chicago this coming August. I hope to find out about the Harris side at that time. I will keep you posted.

Posted: 24 Apr 2006 6:19PM GMT
yes i found that interesting as well. according to 1880 cencus barney harris(m grt-grt grandfather) live down the way or near land johnson. i'll ask one of my oldest cousins does she have info about harvey johnson father.

Ruth (View posts)
Posted: 26 Apr 2006 11:14PM GMT
Ask you cousin if Harvey Johnson had any brothers or sisters.

Ruth (View posts)
Posted: 26 Apr 2006 11:19PM GMT
You know I have heard of the Bobo's being related to the Harris'. I do know that the Johnsons, Harris' and the Bobo's all lived close together

michele (View posts)
Posted: 27 Apr 2006 4:31PM GMT
YES MY COUSIN MATTIE HAD A BROTHER HARVEY JR.,BROTHER ARTHUR NAMED AFTER WALTER'S BROTHER, AND A SISTER NAMED LIZZIE. MY AUNT EDDIE MARRIED HARVEY JOHNSON AND SHE WAS BORN MUCH LATER THAN WALTER APROX 1890-1899.

michele (View posts)
Posted: 28 Apr 2006 1:05AM GMT
NOW I'M CURIOUS. WHERE THE HARRIS AND BOBO'S FAMOUS MAYBE INFAMOUS OR SOMTHING?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions