Search for content in message boards

History of Robstown

History of Robstown

Posted: 28 Feb 2002 4:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 16 Apr 2002 10:57PM GMT
Is it possible to find the history of Robstown ? If so where do I get a copy?

Thank you for your help,
Joyce Kelly

Re: History of Robstown

Judith Tavares (View posts)
Posted: 28 Feb 2002 7:56PM GMT
The local newspaper is the Robstown Record-Star. I once, over a year ago, went into their offices and asked the same question. They said that no one had written a concise history of Robstown, which was sad, they explained, because it is about to have its centennial celebration in 2007. For its 50th celebration, the newspaper had a special edition, now available on microfilm, but that is about it. I have so far read every issue of the Record Star as it is available on microfilm starting July 1926 through February 1944. I am creating an index of the death notices in it.
Do you have a question about someone in particular?
Judith Tavares
Tavares Heirlines
Corpus Christi, Texas 78410

Posted: 28 Feb 2002 9:41PM GMT
My husband and I went to school in Robstown, as a matter of fact we met in the sixth grade, I graduated in 1950. Our 1948 school year book was about the begining of the city in pictures.Since our great grandfather was the second mayor, I wanted to learn more. I have heard that Robert Driscoll and J. P. Sands were in real estate and were friends. I don't if it is fact or not I had always heard that Robstown was named for Robert Driscoll. Also there was a Sands Addition in the Southwest part of town.We have not lived in Robstown in years, we still have family there.

Thank you so much for all of your work

Joyce Kelly

Judith Tavares (View posts)
Posted: 1 Mar 2002 12:35AM GMT
Surnames: Sands
Robstown was, indeed, named after Robert Driscoll, on whose land it was built or rather, from whose land it was built. Established as a community in 1907, it was not granted a city charter until 1912. Even so, 1907 is regarded as its anniversary year. I do not know who was the first mayor but J. P. Sands was the second. (Are the one for whom I posted infoo for his obit?)
Ssands can be found on the 1910 Federal census, Nueces County, Precinct 6, (meaning Robswon), page 123, line 13:
Sands, J. P., 50 years old, born in Penn., father born in PA, mother born in Scotland.
Wife, Emma H., also 50, born in Iowa, father born in Ohio, mother born in Iowa. Tthey had been married for 28 years as of the time of the census, had 4 children.
Son Floyd, lived with them, age 25, born in Kansas
Daughter Mary, age 21, born in Kansas.
As for Robert Driscoll and Sands being friends, I don't know. If I run into that data later, I will let you know.
Judith Tavares
Corpus Christi, Texas

Posted: 1 Mar 2002 11:20AM GMT
Thank you so much, I can not believe all the things I did not know. My father -in -law never talked about his family.

Thanks,
Joyce Kelly

Posted: 28 Mar 2002 12:35PM GMT
Edited: 18 Oct 2002 10:31PM GMT
If you are looking for more information about some of the people that helped to start Robstown please contact me. My grandfather and great grandfather moved there in 1902. Mother was born in Robstown and I grew up and went to school there. I would also like to fill in some information about my side of the family and maybe you could help me with this.

Posted: 28 Mar 2002 1:35PM GMT
Hello,

I really do not know much. My father-in-law's grandfather was

James Porter Sands. The Sands home was where the post

office is now. I had heard Mr.Sands had traded homes with

his granddaughter. The house was moved to Ave J & Hwy 44,

also there was an housing addition called Sands Addition it

in the southwest side of town.

I was transfer to school in Robstown in 1942 and graduated

from R. H. S. in 1950.

My family moved into town in the fall of 1948.

Yes I would like information on the history of Robstown.

Thank you,

Joyce Kelly

Ave. J and hwy44.

Posted: 28 Mar 2002 3:04PM GMT
Edited: 18 Oct 2002 10:31PM GMT
The information I have is about Robert L. Jones and his family.They came from the Calhoun/Panola Co. area of Miss.and moved into the Robstown area around 1902.
Robert Jones was involved with the Presbyterian Church and it's construction. Owned a filling station and garage with his father William Rubin Jones, in the early 1930's. Owned land and farmed it in the area of N. 3rd St. there in Robstown. Worked for the Power Plant when it was first constructed and retired from there. Built homes located at 1108 N. 3rd St.(4 houses and a garage apartment) All of the remaining homes were sold after my grandfathers death in 1991. I have more information on my grandfathers family and the areas they settled around the Robstown area. Send me an email if you would like further information. Too long to place in a posting.
Dannie

Posted: 28 Mar 2002 5:00PM GMT
Tkank you that was neat.

My husband told me that the Sands sons (Floyd and Louis )in the late 20's & 30's either owned or ran
a hardware store on Main Street. Also his uncle Bill had a cafe on Main St. between second & third in the late 30's & early 40's, then went into the service.
We went to school with a Jack Jones. I believe he was class favorite guy. The name Jennie Jones rings a bell.

Yes I'd like to share more info with you,

Joyce Kelly

Dori Hooper (View posts)
Posted: 16 Apr 2002 6:05AM GMT
Dannie,

Do you have, or know, any information on the family of T. Henry Hooper, Constable of Robstown, during this same time frame?

My family has a photo of Uncle Henry in his uniform, gun, badge, and all.

T. Henry Hooper, born 1876, is the brother of my grandfather.

I have tried, unsuccessfully, to find a way to contact any living members of his family. He had a son named Gilbert Hooper, and I think (from photos) grandchildren, Ruth and Gilbert Hooper. The photos are dated 1947-48, school year, and Ruth and Gilbert look to be about 10-12 years old.

Thank you for any help.

Dori Hooper
per page

Find a board about a specific topic