Newberry Co., SC in the late 1700's and
the early 1800's. William Hopper died in
1818 and had sons William Jr., John, Hugh,
and Alexander. His dau., Sarah Ann, married
a Grymes/Grimes.

Re: Hoppers of Newberry Co., SC

Posted: 30 Sep 2005 3:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
My grandmother's father was Wm Alexander Hopper. He lived in NC and later moved to Gaffney, SC.

Raymond Guffin (View posts)
Posted: 30 Sep 2005 3:54PM GMT
Hi DeeDee,

These Hoppers were in Newberry Co., SC before 1800 and
remained there until they began migrating westward in the 1820's.
Sounds as though yours were in NC perhaps down to the 20th
century. Wish I could help but I am afraid we are dealing with
two different Hopper lines. R. L. Guffin

Posted: 30 Sep 2005 4:10PM GMT
Thank you for your prompt reply. One of the Hoppers had a son in your area. I only know that his name was/is Bobby Hopper and he is a son of one of my Grandmother's brothers. I know nothing about him. Thanks again.

Posted: 28 Jul 2006 12:43AM GMT
Surnames: Hopper, Dial, Boyd, McRae, McArn, Blue, Delchamps
Descendant of Hugh Hopper [Green Co AL] to John Hopper & Drucilla Dorman Hopper [Sumter Co AL] to Hugh Alexander Hopper & Catherine (Katie) McRae Hopper [Sumter Co AL to Kemper Co MS] to James A Hopper & Sarah Elizabeth Delchamps Hopper [Kemper Co MS - both buried Mobile City AL her home]. If this is line you are working on I would love to correspond. Please e-mail if we may have a connection. Thanks, Linda Hopper Jowers

R. L. Guffin (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jul 2006 1:12AM GMT
Surnames: Hopper, Dial, Bennett
Hi LInda, My wife descends from Hugh Hopper and his wife, Sally Dial, through their daughter, Mary Ann Hopper, who married Kennard Bennett in Greene Co., AL in 1821. Because their marriage was not filed in the Greene County Courthouse, many descendants do not know about Mary Ann. But, thankfully, the write-up of the marriage was in the Greene County Newspaper. I know well about her brother, John Hopper, and the family that settled in Kemper Co., MS.
Do you have information about the Dials? R. L. Guffin

Posted: 28 Jul 2006 2:37AM GMT
Somewhere in my Hopper information I have the names of Jeremiah Dial and there is a Jr in addition to the Sr. The Sr is listed as being in the Rev. War. I believe I have somthing that connects him to serving with Marion Francis (? - name) the Gray Fox. I have some information in paper form, and some still on our recently replaced computer. Hopefully it might be saved on disk too. Let me see what I can find and I'll send to you. Do you want it sent e-mail? Also do you have any more information on John and his injuries from the 'fall while chasing a robber[?] in a posse while Sheriff? This is the gist of what I have heard, but have not been able to find any real reports of it.

Posted: 31 Aug 2008 9:35AM GMT
you can e mail me at anghopper@yahoo.com. I have some info on the hopper from newberry. have been to glider creek cemerty ther

Posted: 25 Jun 2010 4:50AM GMT
Surnames: Delchamps, Durand
Linda

I am not a Hopper descendent, but was searching Delchamps and saw your post and others. I am a Delchamps descendent - from your Sadie's older half-sister Anna Marie Delchamps. I saw on an archive that you have a picture of Sadie and I am wondering if you would share a scanned image of her. I have pictures of Anna Marie if you are interested. I also have pictures of Sadie and Anna Marie's father Edwin Alexis Delchamps, if you don't. We have been doing a lot of Delchamps/Durand research lately and a cousin is about to publish a Delchamps book. Just wanted to mention this to you as a Delchamps descendant. Andrea

Posted: 23 May 2013 4:45PM GMT
my hopper family where in newberry ....have some one them on ancrety .com .........
per page

Find a board about a specific topic