Search for content in message boards

Early Alexanders to Pennsylvania

Early Alexanders to Pennsylvania

Posted: 27 Dec 2012 2:03AM GMT
Classification: Query
From from 'History of That Part of the Susquehanna and Juniata Valleys Embraced in the Counties of Mifflin, Juniata, Perry, Union and Snyder', Franklin Ellis, Philadelphia, 1886. Alexander information begins in Chapter XII on page 617. Here's just a snipet of some of the invaluable Alexander family info found in this book::

"One of the first to locate in the valley of the Kishacoquillas Creek, was James Alexander (1726-1791). He was a son of James (actually John 1700-1777) and Margaret (Glasson) Alexander (1700-1777) native of (County) Armagh, Ireland, where he was born in 1726, and when ten years of age, emigrated with his parents to America and settled in West Nottingham, Chester County. From there, the family moved to Cumberland County.."

The chapter goes on to reference their children and descendants and where they all migrated to from there. This publication is online. A Google search for 'History of Mifflin County, Pennsylvania' should take you to it.

Re: Early Alexanders to Pennsylvania

Posted: 27 Dec 2012 2:34AM GMT
You might be surprised at some of these other families that are connected to the Alexanders in the Cumberland County Wills:

McCAMEY, JOHN, Letterkenny, tanner. 4 Mar 1765-26 May 1766.
Wife Margaret. Sons Robert, John and James. Dau. Mary Stockdale. Dau. Jane McCamey. Dau. MARGARET ALEXANDER, plantation in North Carolina in Sugar Creek Settlement, adjoining James Norris and James Campbell. Daus. Ester Remix and Martha McCamey. Exs: wife Margaret and son Robert McCamey. Wit: Robert McConnell, Joseph Culbertson, Alexr. McConnell. A. 143-45.

PORTER, ALEXANDER, Hopewell, jobber. 2 Mar 1771-25 Mar 1771.
Father Hugh Porter, if alive in the Kingdom of Ireland, County of Down. Land in Ligonier settlement, adjoining land of Samuel Smith, John McMullan and James McCardy. Four youngest bros., William, Hugh, Robert and Joseph.
Bro. James. Sister Margret, married to SAMUEL ALEXANDER.
Exs: John Montgomery and Joseph Bready. Wit: James McKee, John McKee. B. 86.

REED, ROBERT, Middleton, yeoman. 18 Feb 1772- 2 Nov 1772.
Wife Elizabeth. Oldest son James. Son-in-law James ALEXANDER and Rose his wife. Dau. Margret. John McDowl and Elizabeth his wife. Daus. Mary and Christian. Exs: wife Elizabeth and Jonathan Kearsley of Carlisle. Wit: George Duffield, Richard Rankin, John McClure. B. 138-140.

REED, ROBERT, Middleton, yeoman. 8 Feb 1772 - 2 Nov 1772.
Wife Elizabeth. Oldest son James. Son-in-law JAMES ALEXANDER and Rose his wife. Dau. Margret. John McDowl and Elizabeth his wife. Daus. Mary and Christian. Exs: wife Elizabeth and Jonathan Kearsley of Carlisle. Wit: George Duffield, Richard Rankin, John McClure. B. 138-140.

ROSS, ELIZABETH, Carlisle. 21 Sept 1773 - 19 Dec 1774. Grandson James Mitchel. Grandson, Ross Mitchell and his dau. Mary Mitchel. Granddau. Elizabeth Holt, wife of Thomas Holt. Elizabeth, youngest dau. of said Thos. and Elizabeth Holt. Other children of said Thos. and Elizabeth. Granddau. Eleanor Cunningham, wife of Henry Cunningham and their children. Granddau. ANNE ALEXANDER, wife of THOMAS ALEXANDER. Exs: Thomas Holt, Saml. Laird and Wm. Lyon, Esq. Wit: John Davis, John McKee, Ephm. Steel. B. 183.

I'm sure there are more, this is just all I've come across so far. If you have others, please post them.

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 9:00PM GMT
Surnames: Wakefield, Alexander, Wade
I have been doing research on the Morton/Wakefield history who came to the same county you mention. David Wakefield-1735-came to America 1768-1773 to escape religious persecution. I will come back to that. His Uncleson of Robert, Matthew Wakefield son of Robert, born on the family estate on the road between Aughrim and Ballinasloe, Galaway county, Connaught, Ireland married Bridget Banks and emigrated to America prior to 1783 and settle on the Junanitta river, Penn., and later removed to Nelson county, Ky. I noticed one of his sons, John born Feb 3, 1757, I believe and married in 1786 Elizabeth Alexander.
On pages 216-217 is this info and a bio for David Wakefield and there is family break-downs in the book if anyone is interested in this Elizabeth Alexander Wakefield.
David Wakefield's brothers Robert b?;was beheaded for complicity in a plot against Catholic rule in Ireland. Gilbert b?;arrested with his brother Robert and imprisoned for life. Samuel b?;escaped to Scotland in a row boat, when detected in plot against the Catholic government. David Wakefield escaped by hiding in a hogshead of clothing his wife Mary Jane or Elizabeth Wade took on ship with her heading for America. They landed and he settled first in Path Valley, situated between the Tuscarora and Conemaugh mountains, in Perry county, then Cumberland county, where some of his younger children were born. I am assuming this may be close to where Matthew Wakefield located. Have you ran across any info on these families? Cindy coetting57@hotmail.com

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 9:09PM GMT
All of the counties you mention are realted to this Wakefield branch. Thomas Wakefield husband of Elizabeth Morton you can find in the American Rev soldiers of Franklin County, PA,along with other Mortons. Did any of the Alexanders you mention fight in the Rev War. I bet Matthew Wakefields son John met Elizabeth Alexander in this area! And it is really hard to follow these families when the counties keep changing so I am glad to see someone else is listing Chester county-where people keep referencing for Thomas and Elizabeth Wakefield and mistake this Elizabeth Morton for the John Morton signer's dau Elizabeth who died from consumption unmarried! I just had to add a little more and that another branch of the family is from Mifflin County, they are Kerrs. And another branch of Kerrs are listed with Chester County, Lancaster County, and Mifflin County! Maybe I can email you when I get stuck on when a county changed its boundaries? Thanks, Cindy

Re: Early Alexanders to Pennsylvania: PA County Formation

Posted: 31 Jan 2013 12:07AM GMT
Coettling57 -- read your post on Early Alexander's to Pennsylvania.

I found a website which has been most helpful in deciphering early PA Counties. Might be helpful to you and others.

http://www.genealogyinc.com/pennsylvania/maps/
Pennsylvania County Formation Map Resource

I too have a "early Alexander" brickwall I've been trying to locate information on. A John Alexander born in 1766 reportedly in Pennsylvania; I know not where nor when. He was my GGG Grandfather

Hope the map helps
shadowfox60
Bruce

Posted: 5 Feb 2013 9:53PM GMT
John Alexander's dau Elizabeth Alexander, b 1768, in Kishacoquillas valley, Penn, married John Wakefield in 1786. they moved to Nelson Co., Ky. The information for this family is from the Wakefield Memorial by Homer Wakefield, available at openlibrary.com Pages 218-219. In this book there is history for the Wakefields and it includes the family of John and Elizabeth Alexander Wakefield. A Alexander Pedigree is at the bottom of page 219 and is really pretty good. I just have been having some trouble with the Wakefield early history-his father was the brother of my David Wakefield who is the father of Thomas and Elizabeth Morton Wakefield.
Thanks again for your suggestion on the book, cindy

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 3:42PM GMT
The pages are from the book Wakefield Memorial by Homer Wakefield.

Re: Early Alexanders to Pennsylvania: PA County Formation

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 4:26PM GMT
Bruce, I would love to list a reference for where I found this information on the Alexanders but I am having trouble following my own notes because of the boundary changes for the Susquehanna and Juanita Valleys! I have a note to look in Lurgan Twp, Fulton PA or it could be in Bedford that I noted changed to Fulton and then Franklin but one of the earliest land patents was that of an Alexander for Lurgan Twp, 1750. I have a note on Alexanders associated with the Big Cove May 1750-Covenanters-settled by Scotch-Irish Presbyterians. Sorry I wasn't going to post this because my reference is now unclear to me-I want to return there so I will get back to you-an earlier post of mine explains about John Alexander and his second son James Alexander and the Wakefield Memorial says that John Alexander settled in Franklin co., Pa where he and his wife died. Cindy

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 8:53PM GMT
Hi Cindy,
I went over to openlibrary.com, but there are a lot of categories. They lead to a page where you can download their libraries. I don't want to do that. Which library has the Wakefield Museum book?
Thanks,
Sue

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 9:15PM GMT
Sue,
What I do is google openlibrary.org then click on the home site. It will come up and at the top is a search-type in the Wakefield Memorial and it should come up. I am in a bit of hurry but when I get back if you email me back I will get the address for you to click-but this should work-just click on the site not one of the catergories if you must choose one choose accessible book!
Cindy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions