Search for content in message boards

Researching Mann Surname

Researching Mann Surname

Posted: 23 Sep 2002 4:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Sep 2002 3:41PM GMT
Robert Mann and Isabel Griffin came from England and had the Following Children: Frances B. 1686, Robert. B. 1671, Thomas B. 1673, John B. 1675, Mary and Jane. My Line is Frances Mann who married Elizabeth Page 1717 in Henrico County, Virginia. They had the Following children:Robert 1731/1732, Lucy 4/20/1722, Page 1726,Frances Jr., 1728, Cain 1729, Able 1734,John 1736, Joel and Agnes 1742. My Robert 1731/1732 married Phebe Vaden.
Any connections so far?
Gloria Mann Taylor

Re: Researching Mann Surname

Posted: 3 Oct 2002 3:44PM GMT
I think that the Robert Mann who ended up in Mannboro originated in Chesterfield County, moving to Amelia due either a land grant or a large, cheap land purchase. Possibly the same generation as your 1732 guy, or possibly a generation later.

You might try looking for him on www.virginians.com

My ancestor Watkins Turner (1800-1863) married Judith Mann in 1830, and I think that her farther was a Robert Mann. She last appears on a deed in 1857, and Turner was remarried by the time of the 1860 Census.

I don't have much info on Judith A. Mann, because there were no children from this marriage and she is not actually my ancestor. The marriage appears via a bond posted in Amelia County in 1830.

Hope this helps,

Allen

Posted: 7 Oct 2002 5:40PM GMT
Surnames: Mann, Coleman
looking for information on Robert W. Mann and wife Laura, who lived in Amelia. Daughter Cornelia was born in 1841 and married Richelieu Coleman in April of 1960. Thanks!

Gloria Mann Taylor (View posts)
Posted: 7 Oct 2002 8:00PM GMT
I do not have a Robert married to a Laura as yet. Have several Roberts with no wives. Do you have any more information? Have run across a Coleman Line marrying into the Mann Family. Trying to place John Coleman Mann.
Gloria

Posted: 29 Oct 2002 5:00PM GMT
I'd be interested to know what part of the county this couple was in.

I'm researching the family of Richard Alfred Allen (1827-1910) in Ammon. He named one of his sons Richelieu, who married Cora Belle Coleman. The family is heavily intermarried with Colemans and Robertsons.

Allen's father-in-law, Watkins Turner (1800-1863) was married to Judith Mann in 1830, and his eldest daughter (by a previous marriage) married John A. Coleman in 1842.

These folks all lived along Wills Road just south of Namozine Rd. and appear to have been involved with Poplar Hills Methodist Church.

Posted: 30 Oct 2002 3:36PM GMT
I am familiar with Wells road which runs south of Namozine. A map of Amelia in The Official Military Atlas of the Civil War shows that several Allen families and Colemans lived along this road. (Wells Road was part of the route in "Lee's Retreat" where a group of New York infantry broke into Richelieu and Cornelia Coleman's house, stealing, among other things, the family bible, later to be used by the Cole family of New York) I have been unable to find the Manns on this map.
While Ancestry.com's census summary (when searching by name) shows a Robert W. Mann in the Mannboro part of the county in 1860, it seems that their Amelia census records end prematurely. Not only are the Manns missing from available census pages provided online, but many of the Colemans in Mannboro, including Richelieu (who should have been there), as well.
It would be interesting to know how all of these Amelia families were related during this time period. I do not have records on your Colemans, but will keep them in mind as I continue my research.

Allen Cole (View posts)
Posted: 31 Oct 2002 4:33AM GMT
All of those names go earlier than my current research. Although Watkins Turner was married to a Mann from 1830-1857(?), I suspect that his first marriage was to a Coleman, Cousins, or Rowlett.

Richelieu Coleman perks up my ears because Turner was involved with Coleman's and had both a grandson and great-grandson bearing the name Richelieu.

Posted: 6 Nov 2002 8:46AM GMT
I may be able to help there. I have the Gilmer maps for that area, and can check.

I also have some blow-ups of the 1850 and 1860 Census sheets for families around Wills Road. Will try to see if there's a Richelieu and Cornelia Coleman on them, as well as possible Mann's.

As for the house of Richelieu and Cornelia Coleman, where exactly was it located? There is an abandoned Coleman house in the woods on Wells Road just north of Namozine Creek. My civil war map lists it as J. A. Coleman (I'm presuming John and Mary Coleman), but you never know.

Are either of you ladies located in Virginia? If not, I will try to snag some Census data from microfilm on my next trip to the State Library or the FHC. I find the computerized Census stuff to be a bit bug-infested and difficult to work with.

Posted: 7 Nov 2002 10:28PM GMT
Thanks! I would love to find census records (1860, 1880) and know where the Richelieu Colemans lived during those census years. I pass through Amelia to visit our old home in Richmond and would love to drive by their old homestead if you could locate it. I'd also be interested in the location of cemeteries in Mannboro if you know of any.

I believe that they may have been in one of the Coleman homesteads, on Wells Road, because of information in Times Dispatch articles about the family bible taken during the Bellfield raid, 1865. From the late 1860's until 1873, they lived in Dinwiddie county. Then they returned to Mannboro until Richelieu's death sometime after 1894.

It's possible that their original home was burned when it was broken into by members of the 24th NY, April, 1865

As I understand from the Amelia librarian, the historical society is renovating and their related info is in storage. so, I appreciate your help. gb

Posted: 24 Nov 2002 3:39AM GMT
Surnames: Mann, Allen, Turner, Coleman, Rowlett, Green
Hi Gail. In my continuing search for the origins of Richard A. Allen and Watkins Turner, I am beginning to construct a picture of the Ammon area just prior to the Civil War.

Several of the movers and shakers of Ammon, and the Poplar Hill Methodist church were linked by marriages to Mann women.

Watkins Turner (1800-1863) married Judith A. Mann in September 1830.

Matthew Allen (1799-1866?) was married to Elizabeth or Eliza C. Mann (daughter of Daniel Mann) in Oct. 1821.

George Rowlett was married to Martha O. Mann on 1/27/1814. After Rowlett's death Martha married William T. Green sometime around 1848. Prior to the second marriage, she signed her interest in the Rowlett land over to Watkins Turner for 5.00. At her death in 1852, she left Watkins Turner two slaves to sell for the benefit of her nephews, possibly Albans O. Coleman and Wilbur T. Coleman (poor legibility)

I am wondering if these women, as well as Robert W. Mann, may have been in the same family. We know that Elizabeth C. Mann was the daughter of Daniel Mann, and that Martha O. Mann must've had a sister who married a Coleman.

Let's see where THAT takes us!

per page

Find a board about a specific topic