Search for content in message boards

Hopper in Indianapolis

Hopper in Indianapolis

Posted: 2 Jun 2001 7:25PM GMT
Edited: 2 Oct 2001 2:28AM GMT
Elijah Hopper was born in Indiana around 1829. He married Barbara Dawson. They had at least two boys, one was Oliver Hopper and the other was Elijah King Hopper. Oliver was born around 1855 and Elijah was born on Dec 23, 1861. Elijah married Nellie Capito and had 3 boys: Henry Hopper, birth 1888, Frank George Hopper, birth 1896, and Roy Orville Hopper, birth Nov 15, 1901. Roy died Apr 15, 1975 at Laie, Hawaii. All 3 of the boys were born in Indianapolis. If you have any small bit of possible leads to this family, please let me know. Thanks Paul Hopper

Indiana- -Hopper

Posted: 8 Jun 2001 6:12PM GMT
Edited: 1 Apr 2002 4:39AM GMT
Hi Paul,

Just a wild thought. My James Jackson Hopper
was born in Parke Co., Indiana in 1829. His
parentage is unknown. He supposedly came to
Iowa in 1841 with his mother and settled by
1843 in Jackson Co., IA. I don't know if he
came straight from IN to IA, or made a few
stops oalong the way! As I said, I nothing of
his parentage. Let me know if this rings any
bells. Di

Hello Di

Posted: 8 Jun 2001 8:24PM GMT
Thanks for your reply. My Elijah Hopper was born in 1829 also. According to Roy Hopper, he was born in either "Yashen", "Yoshen" Indiana. I do not believe that there ever was a town in Indiana by those names. He probable meant "Goshen". I find that there are 2 places in Indiana called Goshen. One close to the Michigan border where there were no Hoppers, and a small Goshen in Scott County where there was a large family of Hoppers. So, I have to presume that he was born in Scott County. There in Scott County there was a Samuel Hopper who had a son named Elijah. I am hoping to find what ever happened to this Elijah. Samuel Hopper had a brother Moses Hopper who was living in the bordering county of Jefferson. Moses had a son named Ellijah who married a Deborah Cox. They had a son named Elijah Hopper. I would also like to get information on this Elijah.
Paul
Posted: 8 Jun 2001 8:45PM GMT
Edited: 1 Apr 2002 4:39AM GMT
Hi, again, Paul,

Just a quickie to let you know that if you ever find that your Hoppers are from Madison
Co., KY, let mee know. I have oodles on them.
Di

All the Hoppers

Posted: 9 Jun 2001 9:21PM GMT
Hello Di,
Thanks for your offer for information on the Hoppers in Madison County, Kentucky. I do not know, at the present time, if there is any connection, but I would like for you to send to me all the information that you have on the Hoppers. I will try to organize it and piece together the spread of the Hopper family. Thanks for your offer.
Paul pdhopper@earthlink.net

Re: Hopper

Posted: 28 Jun 2001 5:24AM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Hopper
Hello Di --

Your message of 8 Jun 2001 to Paul Hopper mentioned Madison County, Kentucky Hopper's.
Both the 1850 and 1860 Parke County, Indiana Census (Raccoon Township) list the Azariah Hopper family and indicating he was born in Kentucky. Another source (History of Vigo and Parke Counties -- H. W. Beckwith, 1880) indicates this was April 18, 1806 in Madison County, Kentucky.
Would any of your Hopper research have any information about this Madison County , Kentucky family? Azariah Hopper's parents, etc. Thank you for any information either pro or con.

Re: All the Hoppers

Rhoda (View posts)
Posted: 31 Jul 2001 1:45AM GMT
Paul,
My grandmothers brothers name is or was Paul. Are you from Pennsylvania, or related to another Paul Hopper from PA? I am trying to find my grandmothers family and I can't make the connections. My grandmothers name was Cora Arlene-her mother was Mary Catherine Chamberlain and her father was William M. Hopper. These Hoppers were from the West Nanticoke, PA area. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Indiana- -Hopper

Paul Hopper (View posts)
Posted: 30 Aug 2001 3:16AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello Di
I was back scouting the Hoppers. I took your hint and looked at Parke County, Indiana. I do not know where my Hoppers come from in Indiana. I saw some Hoppers mentioned in the Rockville Newspaper and thought I would pass it on to you.
Paul Hopper

Rockville paper ?? -- Hopper - Haskett wed
Joseph Glenn Hopper, son of Mr. and Mrs. William A. Hopper of Minshall, was united in marriage to Miss Josephine Haskett of No. Terre Haute Dec. 19 at six o'clock the nuptial vows being heard by the Rev. Clyde Lininger at the ME parsonage at Rockville. The young couple left immediately for the home of the bride's parents, M/M Emerson Haskett of No. Terre Haute where they will reside until spring. The bridegroom is a young man well known over Parke Co. as he made a canvass for county recorder last fall. He is a grad. of Bridgeton HS and attended business college in California. At present he is assisting his brother, Donald Hopper, general merchant of Bridgeton, having charge of the trucking. The bride is a charming young woman, a grad. of No. Terre Haute HS and well known in southern Parke Co. They are receiving the congratulations of their many friends.

·

· Rockville Paper 10-12-1950 -- Hoppers entertain

Mr. and Mrs. William Hopper entertained for Friday eve. dinner in honor of Mr. and Mrs. Fred A. Hopper and Mr. and Mrs. Fred C. Hopper of Los Angeles, Cal. Guests were: Mr. and Mrs. Rolland C. Hopper, Sr.; Mr. and Mrs. Rolland Hopper, Jr. and son of Whiting; Mr. and Mrs.. Leeland Jones and family of Indianapolis who were weekend guests in the Jones home. On Sun. a family dinner was held at the Jones home with the following guests, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Hopper and son of Brazil; M/M Charles Smith of Marshall; M/M Bob Walters of Attica; M/m Ernest Jones of Hume, Ill; Mr. and Mrs. Otto Mohlar and children, Mrs. Lula Cullin of Terre Haute; Donald Hopper of Indianapolis; Mr. and Mrs. Glenn Hopper and daughter of New Palestine; Mr. and Mrs. John Rutledge; Mr. and Mrs. William Rutledge and sons, Mrs. Ethie Humphrey, Byron; Vivian and Ben Jones and Mr. and Mrs. WIlliam Hopper. Afternoon guests were Mr. and Mrs. Paul Hopper and Sandra Forrest; Mr. and Mrs. Bill Eup? / Mr. and Mrs.? Barnes; Mrs. Lucia Jones; Claude Adams.

·

· Rockville Tribune, Aug 13, 1918 -- Glenn Hopper near death

Glenn Hopper, 8-year-old son of M/M William hopper, of Minshall, came near losing his life Sunday evening when run over by an automobile driven by George Scott of Rockville. The child had been blind in one eye for several years, losing the sight when attacked by an old hen. This probably accounts for his not seeing the approaching car. An ugly gash was cut in his head. (Thanks Randy Wright for this one -- Randy is so great about sending me cool stuff like this -- it's greatly appreciated!)

Re: Indiana- -Hopper

Posted: 30 Aug 2001 4:22PM GMT
Edited: 25 Oct 2001 1:31AM GMT
I am still looking for information regarding the Floyd Co., IN Hopper family. The patriarch was Hiram (or Highram) Hopper, b. somewhere in NY in 1812; m.(1) Eliza Ann Whitlock (1835), m.(2) Sarah (Walts) Moser (1856), m.(3) Catherine (Devore) Brown (1861). He ran a brick business in Greenville Township, and within the last few years the old brick home on Highway 150 just east of Greenville, built by Hiram about 1860, was torn down. Hiram d. in 1890, buried in Greenlawn Cem. in Greenville with all three wives and several children.

Re: Hopper

Bonnie Kendron (View posts)
Posted: 29 Nov 2001 2:20PM GMT
Hi Di,
I saw your note to Paul-Jun 8 and realized that's MY family
My great grandfather was Azariah Hopper, born 4-18-1806.
I'm just starting research on him and would appreciate any help. My mother, Yvonne, is his last living grandchild. Her father, William Azariah, was the son of Azariah...all of Parke Co. IN. I have nothing on Madison Co., KY.
I know many Hopper's are resting in Catlin, IN in Mt. Olivet
Cemetery with Azariah.
How are you related? Thanks, Bonnie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic