Search for content in message boards

William Putman of 1788 Hanover, NJ.

William Putman of 1788 Hanover, NJ.

Posted: 10 Jul 2013 4:18AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Jul 2013 4:21AM GMT
Surnames: Putman, Putnam, Pottman, Swayze, Sheldon, Tharp, Thorp
There was a Thomas Sheldon born in New Jersey in 1789 who married Huldah Tharp/Thorp.

They had a son named William Putnam Sheldon born in 1815 in Ohio.

Huldah was born in Morris Co., NJ.

To make a long story short, there was a William Putmon who was listed in the 1788 tax List - Hanover Township, Morris County, NJ.

I am starting to believe that William of 1788 Hanover, NJ, was a son of John Putman the son of David Pottman of Potterstown, NJ, and that this William Putman was the grandfather of William Putnam Sheldon.

My ancestor my great grandfather William C. Putman's parents were from New Jersey. I'm not definately sure if he was a descendant of Peter Putman of Sandyston, NJ, or John Putman of Hardyston, NJ,[or even a descendant William Putman of Hanover, NJ, which seems less likely].

William Putman of Hanover, NJ, may only have had girls as children and did not have a son. That seems likely.

Both Peter and John Putman lived near one another in Steuben and Yates Counties, NY, about 1820-1830.

Peter comes down it appears from Victor Davidse Pottman another assumed son of David Pottman.

Victor's elusive brother John Davidse Putman is somewhat hard to trace, but it appears he is John Putman, Sr., the father of John Putman, Jr., of Hardyston, NJ, which is really not that far from Hanover, NJ.

John Putman I and II seem both to have descendants named William Putman while Peter Putman does not.

Another child of John Putman, it appears was Elizabeth Putman Swayze the ancestor of William Patrick Swayze.

So, it would appear, I would guess, that John Davidse Putman the assumed son of David Pottman had at least three children: William, Elizabeth, and John II.

John Putman, Sr., the husband of Sina or Lina left a will in about 1790 in Newton, NJ, and shows with a son named John Putman, Jr., who I assume was John Putman who married Jane Stoll and removed to Steuben Co., NY, before 1810 where he is listed as John Potman.

Though there is no record of it or a tradition, I think John and Jane Stoll Putman also had a son named John Putman who may possibly be the father of William C. Putman.

The 1830 Census of Steuben Co., NY, may show this John Putman born about 1805.

Peter Victorse Putman had a son named John Putman, too, who also lived in Steuben Co., NY, in 1830, and went to Canada about 1834 the year William C. Putman was born [in New York].

William C. Putman worked on the Welland Canal in Ontario, Canada, and as a young man he removed to Tuscola Co., MI,where I now live.

Re: William Putman of 1788 Hanover, NJ.

Posted: 12 Jul 2013 8:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Pottman, Putman, Putnam, Swayze, Sheldon, Darling, Stoll, Dunn, Snyder
I have more information on William Putman of Hanover and the descendants of John Davidse Pottman.
The chart listed at the end of this narrative below shows what I have surmised on this line.
At an early date likely before 1700, a William Darling arrived in New Jersey and his descendants included a Thomas and Samuel Darling.
The surname Darling is a very interesting name to me.
John Davidse Pottman/Putman/Putman seems to have had a daughter Elizabeth Putman who married Samuel Swayze and removed to Nanchez, Mississippi in the mid 1700’s. Among their children were Samuel Putnam Swayze and Daniel Darling Swayze.
The middle name “Darling” I have assumed came from an early relative with the last same name.
I have always guessed that Johannes or John David Pottman married a Darling who was the daughter of a Daniel Darling, but I have found that there was a William Putman who is listed in the Hanover, Morris Co., NJ, Tax Lists in the 1780’s.
From this general area also was derived William Putman Sheldon who was born later in 1815 in Licking, Ohio. His parents were Huldah Thorpe and Thomas J. Sheldon, Jr., who was the son of Thomas J. Sheldon and an Unknown Putnam likely born in [Hanover], Morris Co., NJ, about 1770.
This Unknown Putman was likely a daughter of William Putman of Hanover, Morris Co., NJ, who was born about 1737 and was likely a son of John Davidse Pottman born in 1714 in NJ.
I recently research the Darling family of early New Jersey and found two Darling’s who were in the American Revolutionary War a William Darling of Hanover, NJ, and Thomas Darling of nearby Mendham, NJ.
It seems likely then that John Davidse Putman married a daughter of a William Darling of Hanover.
The William Darling mentioned above in Hanover in the Revolutionary War list may have been her brother and a son of an earlier William Darling, Sr.
The following is what I surmise in chart form:
David Janse Pottman. Born in 1686, he lived in Potterstown, NJ.
Married likely second Elizabeth Beeckman.
….. Johannes Davidse Pottman/Putman/Putnam. He was born about 1714 in Middletown, Monmouth Co., NJ, lived in Potterstown, NJ, and removed to Hanover, NJ.
…… Married a Ms. Darling of Hanover, NJ, who was a daughter of William Darling.
………. William Putman. Born in NJ about 1737, lived in Hanover, Morris Co., NJ, and married an Unknown lady.
……………. Unknown Daughter Putman. She married Thomas J. Sheldon.
……………….. William Putnam Sheldon. Born 1815 in Licking, OH.
……………..… Others.
………. Elizabeth Putman. Born about 1741, married Samuel Swayze of Roxbury, NJ, and removed to MS.
…………… Samuel Putnam Swayze.
…………… Daniel Darling Swayze.
…………… Others.
………. John Putman. He was born about 1750, married a Sina who last name is unknown, and died in Hardyston, NJ, in the 1790’s.
…………… John Potman/Putman. He married Jane Stoll, lived in Hardyston, Sussex Co., NJ, and removed to Schuyler Co., NY.
…………… Henry Putman. Married Sarah Dunn. Died in Seneca Co.., NY.
…………… Margaret. Married Capt. William Snyder of Sussex Co., NJ.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic