Search for content in message boards

Burns-Hallisey Ancestory Research

Burns-Hallisey Ancestory Research

Noelle (View posts)
Posted: 26 Aug 2001 9:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Burns-Hallisey
I'm trying to track down the ancestory on my mothers side of the family. All we have is what we know since my grandpa arrived here in the US around 1890. His name was John Donahue Burns (my mom says it was spelt Byrnes in Ireland) and he married Ellen J Hallisey in San Francisco. My great grandpa was born in Tirrerary, Ireland around 1872 (according to old 1920 US Census record) and Ellen in County Cork, County Clark, Ireland, around 1882. I know Ellen had a sister who died here in SF, and supposedly brothers back in Ireland. If anyone could help me out with this, it would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Burns-Hallisey Ancestory Research

Posted: 24 Dec 2001 8:23PM GMT
Edited: 4 Dec 2002 3:46AM GMT
Surnames: Hallisey/Moore/ Neff/Nicholson/Williams/Walsh/Marsh
I have a Daniel Hallisey/Hallissey born abt. 1826/7 in Ireland, maybe County Cork. He was in NY by the mid-1850's (at least) where his first 2 children were born and then moved to Illinois where the rest of the children were born. He married Mary Moore. Their children were Nora, Lorey (sp?), Joseph, Mary Ellen, Garrett John, Virginia, Richard, and Rose. Rose married David L. Marsh and died in 1902. Her obituary says to copy the San Francisco papers. Does this make any connection to your family? My email is kathnel@msn.com. Thanks. Kathleen Sadler

Terry Murrihy (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jul 2003 1:06PM GMT
Family (1)
JEREMIAH MURRIHY & HANNAH HALLISY
There children All were born at Inchigeelagh, Cork, Ireland
1. MARGARET MURRIHY (Bap) 24/12/1832
2. JOHN MURRIHY (Bap) 04/08/1833
3. CATHERINE MURRIHY (Bap) 21/03/1836
4. JOHN MURRIHY (Bap) 11/08/1836 d. **
5. BRIDGET MURRIHY b. 16/01/1839 d. **
6. BRIDGET MURRIHY (Bap) 02/03/1840 d. **
7. ELLEN MURRIHY (Bap) 28/10/1841 d. **
8. DENIS MURRIHY (Bap) 06/06/1844 d. **
9. THOMAS MURRIHY (Bap) 11/10/1855 d. **

Family (2)
PATRICK MURRIHY & MARY HALLISY
All there children were born at INCHIGEELAGH, Co CORK, IRELAND
1. CATHERINE MURRIHY (Bap) 1820
2. ELLEN MURRIHY (Bap) 12/01/1821
3. MARY MURRIHY (Bap) 15/01/1823
4. MARY MURRIHY (Bap) 25/05/1827
5. DENIS MURRIHY (Bap) 26/07/1827
6. THOMAS MURRIHY (Bap) 07/10/1835
7. PATRICK MURRIHY (Bap) 11/02/1838
8. BRIDGET MURRIHY (Bap) 02/02/1840
9. ABIGAIL MURRIHY (Bap) 04/03/1842
9. DANIEL MURRIHY (Bap) 16/11/1843
10. NORRY MURRIHY (Bap) 09/09/1846 (FEMALE)

Any possible connection with your family

Regards

Terry Murrihy
Geelong
Victoria
Australia

kathleen sadler (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jul 2003 12:26AM GMT
Surnames: Hallissey/Moore/Noonan or Nunan
Terry, I apologize for the delay in my response. I wish I knew if there was a connection between my family and the Murrihy-Hallisy families that you posted! My ancestor would be about the same age (born abt. 1828) as the children that you posted, so maybe he is a child of a brother of the Hallisy women that you have. I will keep your information and let you know if I find more information. Thanks for your message. Kathleen

Posted: 21 Dec 2006 7:38AM GMT
Surnames: Burns, Hallisey
Hello, Noelle.

We are obviously related, but I'm not sure how. I don't find you listed in my family tree. John Donahue Burns was my great grandfather. Ellen J Hallisey was his second wife. He married her older sister first. My Uncle Russ seems to think her name was Julia. She died before having any children. From my research, they had 7 children. 5 lived to adulthood. I found twins in the 1910 census. They were newborns, a boy named John E Burns and a girl named Ellen N Burns. I have no idea how long they lived.

John was born 1872/1873 in Tipperary, Ireland. He emigrated from Ireland in 1889. He died 18 Nov 1947 in San Francisco. Ellen was born between January and April of 1881 in County Cork, County Clark, Ireland. She emigrated from Ireland in 1901. She died 16 Feb 1954 in San Francisco.

I haven't been able to find any further information or sources. Does anyone know anything else?

Posted: 12 Dec 2009 1:46AM GMT
Surnames: Murray and hallisy
In response to Terry's old post, my husband is related to the family of Patrick Murrihy (we spell it Murray) and Mary Hallisy thru a son that was not listed - John Murray, born 1825. I am wondering how you might be related to this family. Their son John and some other brothers came to the US and John ended up in Canada. John is my husbands 2nd great grandfather.

Posted: 12 Dec 2009 5:14AM GMT
Kathleen great to hear from you. I would very much like to liaise with you. I believe all children of Patrick & Mary were born at Inchigeelagh, Cork, Ireland.
Check out my family history site murrihy.com you can also email me directly from that site.
Regards Terry Murrihy, Geelong Victoria Australia

Posted: 25 Mar 2012 4:31PM GMT
Not sure if you are still interested for this post is fairly old, but I am related to your John Donahue Burns. His brother was my Grandfather. I have traced most of John's siblings and would be happy to share information privately.

Joanne
byrnesrule@aol.com

Posted: 16 Jan 2013 9:55PM GMT
I don't know if you ever got notified, for this is such an old post, but I am researching the Burns part of my family. Your John Donohue Burns was my grandfather's brother. I have some answers from that part of the family if you are interested. His mother was Joanna Donohue.

Posted: 20 May 2013 3:32AM GMT
He was my great grandfather too. Their daughter Josephine was my grandmother. I met with Russ several years ago to touch base and he gave me photos. You can reach me at feistyirishgirl@msn.com

Noelle
per page

Find a board about a specific topic