Search for content in message boards

Campbeltown Scotland Alexanders (McAlisters) Immigration

Campbeltown Scotland Alexanders (McAlisters) Immigration

Posted: 31 Mar 2013 9:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 31 Mar 2013 9:54PM GMT
Surnames: Alexanders, McAlisters
Seeking any information or leads as to when Alexanders (and/or McAlisters) began immigration from Campbeltown Scotland to America between 1700 and 1800. Have DNA connecting my Alexander family to Alexanders from Campbeltown Scotland; but unable to make link on arrival (and where) in America.
Any help appreciated.
Bruce
shadowfox60

Re: Campbeltown Scotland Alexanders (McAlisters) Immigration

Posted: 4 Apr 2013 11:50PM GMT
I was wondering how they can do DNA back to like when your ancesters came. Is there a way and how do they do it. There is a lot of discreperancy about who would have been the next in line for the Earl of Sterling. Can they do DNA tests now a day to find out if someone is really conected to the original Earl and How they did it.

There is a site of McAlisters on facebook. They may be able to help you with your questions.

Posted: 5 Apr 2013 2:14AM GMT
Cviescas4u,

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, I am not anywhere near a expert with the DNA process -- something I'm trying to learn more about.

I will be happy just to determine when members of our Alexander Clan left Campbeltown and the route they took to immigrate to America; finally ending up in Pennsylvania and Ohio.
Again - thank you for your interest
shadowfox60

Posted: 5 Apr 2013 9:14PM GMT
My Alexanders are from PA and then they moved to Ohio. I'm wondering if this yours is the same family.
The earliest Alexander family I have is that of John Y. Alexander, b. 03 MAR 1807 and Elizabeth Ann Hayes, b. 26 JUN 1811.
Please let me know.
Thanks,
Susan Alexander

Posted: 5 Apr 2013 9:50PM GMT
Surnames: Alexander
Mine did the same. I am following James Harvey who John Alexander is his father. Which John I don't know. From what I am told it I have records of them going way back from there. I am probably like you. I know the ending of the story I just don't know the beginning. I inherited my list from a step-uncle and I am all over the place. Collecting books, cleaning out duplicates and trying to figure out what happened as it sounds like you are doing the same.

Posted: 6 Apr 2013 12:23AM GMT
Good evening Susan --
Here is what I have other than the DNA results from my 4th cousin, whose GG Grandfather was a brother to my GG Grandfather.

My John Alexander was reportedly born in 1766 in Pennsylvania and died aprox 1849 in Ohio (possibly Holmes County) His wife (last known wife) was a Elizabeth Hedley born 1766 and died in 1839. I believe John was in Harrison County Ohio where his son (my GG Grandfather) was born in Oct 1820 -- and then ended up in Holmes County Ohio where a daughter Rachael was born in 1826; from there I lose him by 1849 prior to the 1850 census. I found a report of a John Alexander marrying a Elizabeth Hedley (at her house) on June 26, 1811 -- and suspect that may be the John I'm looking for. John also had a son (Benjamin) born in 1818 in Fayette County Pennsylvania. My Great Grandfather's funeral book lists John and Elizabeth with the birth and death dates above. Any help for you? I think John and Elizabeth were on their second marriages when they married in 1811 because the 1820 census for Harrison County Ohio seems to replect that. Prior to 1820 I believe my John Alexander was living in either Westmoreland or Fayette County PA. I've not been able to determine "why" he was married in Jefferson County Ohio in 1811 -- then ends up in Fayetter County PA for the birth of his son Benjamin in 1818 -- then to Harrison County Ohio in 1820 for the birth of his son Robert (my GG Grandfather) UNLESS.... he was in the War of 1812 -- moved family north to PA for protection -- and obtained some kind of land grant for Ohio where he returned in 1820. Lots to explore --- Your thoughts appreciated. If you would like to correspond via email, let me know.
Bruce
shadowfox60

Posted: 6 Apr 2013 1:47AM GMT
Edited: 6 Apr 2013 1:49AM GMT
My Alexander Family were in Butler, Ohio then went to Montgomery, Vermillian, Indiana. From there they some went to Momence, Illinois. Joseph in my family walked to Pennsylvania to fight in the Revolutionary War. Then he went back to Indiana where his family was. The border line in Illinois and Indiana was changed so I am not sure what was Indiana and what was Illinois. Right now I am looking at Virginia to see how many stopped there before going to Ohio. I hope this helps someone. It was a path they followed and it seems a lot of us went the same direction.

Posted: 7 Apr 2013 3:16PM GMT
Surnames: Alexander
I know that after they fought in wars they recieved land grants and pensions.

Posted: 7 Apr 2013 4:12PM GMT
Thanks for all the info. Unfortunately, none of it fits my family. My John Y. Alexander was born in 1807 in Washington Township, Franklin County, PA. He married Elizabeth Ann Hayes, b. 1811, on 20 SEP 1827.
They had 11 children, altogether, six of whom were born in PA before the family moved to Lawrence County, Ohio in 1840.
My gg-grandfather was James Young Alexander, b. 22 MAR 1834 in Franklin County, PA. Since his middle name was Young, I'm thinking that the Y in John Y. Alexander's name probably stood for Young, too.
I just came across some records from Cumberland County that lists about five Alexander will extracts. They Alexanders listed are: Amelia, Elizabeth, James, Robert and Thomas. They were all born in the early 1800's or late 1700's. I can't really tell because they all have a year listed and then a date, which is not the same. It doesn't say, but I don't think that the first date is a birth year if the second is the death date. They are too close. The first date might be the date they made their wills.
Here's the link: http://pacumberland.usgensites.com/content/will-abstracts-su...
I hope that this helps someone.
Sue

Posted: 7 Apr 2013 5:02PM GMT
Good morning Sue --
thank you very much for your detailed reply. Understand it doesn't appear to be a fit for the John Alexander I seek; however, with these Alexanders' ... one never knows if they may have been brothers or cousins too --- it is a difficult family to research. If you should find your Alexander family came from Scotland -- and have a idea where -- consider letting me know before August. My wife and I are taking a trip to Scotland then. thanks again for your kind reply.
Bruce
shadowfox60
per page

Find a board about a specific topic