Search for content in message boards

Mount Olivet Cemetery - De Pere

Mount Olivet Cemetery - De Pere

Posted: 22 Feb 2012 2:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
I plan on going to Mount Olivet Cemetery in De Pere this year as a majority of my ancestors are buried there.

I found this excellent database where I can narrow down my search once I get down to the name level, the section of the burial site is indicated:
http://www.gravesitesearch.com/public/default.aspx

Are there markings at this cemetery to indicate the sections? Is there a map of the sections I could obtain or a person to contact? Thanks.

Re: Mount Olivet Cemetery - De Pere

Posted: 11 Mar 2012 7:46PM GMT
I was investigating burials in Mount Olivet cemetery last year. The Catholic church responsible for the cemetery is St. Mary's Depere. Their Phone Number is 920-337-2330. The secretary there (Laurie) was very helpful.

Posted: 11 Mar 2012 9:07PM GMT
Thanks much Donald, I will give her a call.

Posted: 11 Apr 2012 12:01AM GMT
Edited: 11 Apr 2012 12:15AM GMT
Surnames: Holland, Loftus, Morrison
Mount Olivet is divided into sections: A, B, C. The oldest section, A, in the middle was bought first by the parish. It sits on the left side of the cemetery with lots of trees on it. Many of the stones are knocked over or missing entirely. A previous verger (1850-1911) kept no records of where folks were buried in the cemetery index books. Then the more recent vergers realizing what had happened, attempted to "back fill" the pages in the cemetery index using the burial stones for information. Section B is another of the more historical sections and is a bare, sunny field on the far left side with almost no grave markers left. The current verger came out to the cemetery and met us and we went through the various books with him. We found graves that had stones on them but the bare section, B, has about 7 of my family buried in there somewhere. Frustrating. Section C is the newest part and burials there start in the 1911's. I wanted to scream. Good luck with your family search. When you see the burial index book and realize how close the graves are you begin to have some idea of how many wooden markers have rotted and how many stones have disappeared.

You can also check the old cemetery survey on the Bay Area Genelogical Society site. It will let you do a preliminary search.

Don Milquet was the Verger who came out to us. He was quite elderly and frail. Home phone (920) 336-3877. That was 4 years ago. We got his name and number from the grounds keeper who we chased down in the cemetery.

Posted: 11 Apr 2012 2:27PM GMT
Thank you for the information. I was able to find most of my ancestors, or at the very least the family plot marker with some of the individual headstones now gone. The Bay Area Genelogical Society site was helpful.

I am thankful someone walked the cemetery in the late 1980's to document what was there then. Probably 85% of the headstones I was looking for survive today. The children's area in the back corner was interesting. I have an ancestor buried there from the 1880's, but could not find that headstone.

Some of my ancestors were buried near the pathways and that unfortunately is where a lot of the vandalism appears to have occurred. What a shame.

Posted: 11 Apr 2012 2:46PM GMT
When we walked the cemetery we found stones not listed on the Bay Area census. I did contact them and ask if they would please add them to the census. We sent pictures to verify the stones were actually there.

Glad you were able to find your family. We are returning next month for a third slow walk through sections A and B. My g-grandfather's stone was taken between the time of the Bay census and when we walked the cemetery. We replaced it with a flat, granite marker. It sat in the front of Section B. Fatal.

What family names are you searching? We have been to most of the Catholic Cemeteries in Brown County. Only takes a mintute to snap a picture.

We also plan to spend time at St. Pat's going trhough church records. They did not keep great records from 1850 - 1880 but we are going to give it a whirl.

Good luck in your search.

Georgia

Posted: 13 Apr 2012 2:08AM GMT
Georgia,

Names I am interested in: vandeLieffort (2 are buried in Sec C, Mt. Olivet), Denissen, and VanRens. Most are buried at Mt. Olivet, but if run across any elsewhere please let me know.

The Denissen's have a family plot in the rear of Sec A. There are some headstones missing though. The VanRens have a plot in the rear of Sec C and only one headstone of an individual remains.

Thanks,

- Steve
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions