Search for content in message boards

St. Vincents Orphanage, Vincennes, Indiana

St. Vincents Orphanage, Vincennes, Indiana

Posted: 14 Jun 2010 5:21AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hager
Hello, I got a call from St. Elizabeth's in Indianapolis. I talked to Katrina, she's in charge of the records. She said there was one drawere with a few files in it with a few manilla envelopes in it. She said she would look first and if there was a file she would call me back. When she called me back on Friday she said she found a file on my Grand Uncles, who were 9 and 10 yrs old in 1930. But, the application that was filled out upon entry was full of a lot of blanks. It did mention a Rev. Frances Melleu? Does anyone know who this is? They were brought there on Aug. 16th, 1929 and released on June 3rd, 1931 to a nun by the name of Sister Ann Utiata? Does anyone know these names?? Would love to hear from anyone who may have any news.
Thank you, Pat Geving

Re: St. Vincents Orphanage, Vincennes, Indiana

Posted: 20 Jun 2010 1:54AM GMT
Check the 1930 Indiana Census for your GrandUncles. They have to be listed somewhere. Were they in Marion County or in the Vincennes area?

Posted: 5 Sep 2013 9:05PM GMT
I arrived at St. Vincent Orphanage in Vincennes, Indiana in March 1962 at the age of seven. I recall the next morning there was a funeral at the Orphanage. I remember it was a bishop or a priest funeral. He was burried at a small cementary of the orphanage area. I would like to find his name, date born and death. I am writting a book and would like to mention that fact in it. Thanks for your assistance.

Posted: 20 Sep 2013 12:41AM GMT
I just looked at the book on St. Vincent's , my husband Charles Cherry and his 6 siblings were raised there if I'm not mistaken it was around 1929 or so. Their names were, Charles, Ted, Morris, Lorren, Mary and Victor Cherry, they were all from Indiana,If you knew any of them it would be nice to know.
Thank You,
Cynthia Cherry

Posted: 21 Sep 2013 6:09AM GMT
Hi Cynthia,
You said you just looked at the book from St. Vincent's? What book are you speaking of? I would love to know.
Patricia Geving
patshg@ndsupernet.com

Posted: 14 Nov 2013 5:22PM GMT
Cynthia, page 2 of the 1930 Census only list 5 Cherry's. I've attached that page for your review, start at line 71.
Attachments:

Posted: 10 Jan 2014 3:05AM GMT
Greetings,
My grandfather, James Jack Weikel (b. 1923), was placed in the St. Vincent's Orphanage as a youngster until the age of 14 years or so. My mother and I would dearly appreciate any information anyone might have in regards to my dear grandfather. Thank you abundantly, Sherri

Posted: 10 Jan 2014 3:37AM GMT
Edited: 10 Jan 2014 3:46AM GMT
Sherri;

I checked the 1930 Census and your Grandfather isn't listed. Most of the records from the St Vincent Orphanage where destroyed in a fire, what records survived are at St. Elizabeth's in Indianapolis. 2500 Churchman Ave, Indianapolis, IN 46203..Phone 1-317-787-3412..or 1-800-499-9113 Good luck

Posted: 10 Jan 2014 3:42AM GMT
Pat, she's most likely talking about this book:
One Hundred Years of Charity; St Vincent School, Vincennes, Indiana 1849-1949. The publisher is The Diocese, c1948, Evansville
It's no longer in print, but St Thomas near Vincennes has a copy, if not then the Old Cathedral in Vincennes has it. Also the •McGrady-Brockman House, Knox County Public Library at 502 N. 7th St. • Vincennes, IN 47591 has a copy, you will be only to view the book on site. I have not looked at the book myself, so I don't know what information you will find in it.

Posted: 10 Jan 2014 3:49AM GMT
Thank you, dear person, for reviewing your records in reply to my request. I haven't many details, however, he played in St. Vincent's band for President Roosevelt in Vincennes during the dedication of the George Rogers Clark Memorial. Hopefully, that helps someone, too. The newspaper article detailing this event did not include the newspaper's date yet the title reads "Carpenter".
per page

Find a board about a specific topic