Search for content in message boards

John Alexander of Fayette County Pa

John Alexander of Fayette County Pa

Posted: 8 Apr 2013 8:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Apr 2013 8:39PM GMT
I am looking for more information on John Alexander born about 1850. Married to Margaret ?

1900 Census has this family living in Connellsville, Pa .
John H Alexander age 50
Margaret Alexander age 36
John A Alexander age 15
Lurania Alexander age 13
Lulu Ethel Osler Age 13
Jennie Osler age 9

Lulu and Jennie are listed as adopted.
Their mother believe to be Elizabeth ? Alexander,Osler ,McGee
Elizabeth had 5 girls all together to John Osler. Have not found which John Osler this was.
Children were
Margaret Kerr Osler born about 1882 or 83 in 1900 she is found as a servant in a Pittsburgh Pa Household. 1902 she married William Woodrow Sipe
Carrie born about 1885 . She is found with her remarried mother Elizabeth in the household of William H McGee and is listed as a step daughter.
Ella M Osler born about 1890. In 1900 is 10 years old also is with her mother Elizabeth and step father William H McGee. They live in Dublin Huntingdon Pa.

Lulu Ethel born about 1887. Is found on 1900 census as 13 years of age and living with an adopted parent John H Alexander.
Jennie born about 1891. age 9 on 1900 census and living in John Alexander home as an adopted child.
I am thinking that John H Alexander and Elizabeth( the mother of these children are brother and sister).
Elizabeth remarried William H McGee in 1898.

John Osler- Elizabeth's first husband died sometime between 1891 and 1898.

William H McGee was also married before to Martha Jane Newton and previously lived in Preble Ohio.

I am looking for information on
John Osler
Carrie
Ella M
Lulu Ethel
Jennie

Does anyone know this family and what the relationship of John Alexander was to Elizabeth

Thanks
Iva

Re: John Alexander of Fayette County Pa

Posted: 13 Apr 2013 2:16AM GMT
I too am looking for information on a John Alexander of Fayette County, PA. Reportedly born in 1766 in PA and died in 1849 in Holmes County, Ohio. He was the father of a Benjamin Alexander born 1818 in Fayette County PA and died in 1896 in Licking County Ohio.
shadowfox60

Posted: 14 May 2013 8:19AM GMT
Have you checked the Index to Ohio Wills to 1850? The Ohio counties changed quite often. I might be able to find something for you. My family was from Fayette County, PA and moved to central Ohio. I have done a lot of research there, but not for Alexander. I think the 1800 or 1810 Census for Fayette County is enumerated under Washington County. It's been a while since I have looked at that.

Posted: 14 May 2013 8:28AM GMT
Present day Fayette County, PA was part of the old Augusta County, VA prior to 1790 Census. Some old records can be found in Virginia Archives. There was no courthouse for several years, so some records are even found in Kentucky records for that time. I have found some information in Rockbridge County, WV also. As you can see, this can be a difficult place to search.

Posted: 14 May 2013 8:33AM GMT
This is interesting to know thanks so much for telling us all of this. Our line which also connects to the Campbeltown Alexanders were in York and Lancaster Counties in PA.

Posted: 14 May 2013 9:01AM GMT
Your John Alexander b. 1766 could be the son of Oliver Alexander. I have him born 1769, but he does have a brother named Benjamin. Oliver is from the Alexander clan from Maryland. It was very common for them to name their sons after their brothers.

Posted: 14 May 2013 4:31PM GMT
Thank you. Appreciate VERY much your information!

My wife and I are traveling to Scotland this Fall and will be visiting the Campbeltown Scotland area in hopes of finding some ancestry information. Just need some more definitive data to know "where to look" I have seen info on the Oliver Alexander and first wife Mary Craig --- think there could be a possible link with them as you indicated they did have a son John born 1766 -- could be 1769 too with the potential inaccurances of dates being transposed. I found a 4th cousin who did the Alexander DNA study and it was determined he was a 36 of 37 match for the Alexander's out of Campbeltown Scotland. My G-Grandfather was Robert Almon Alexander and in his funeral book it lists his grandfather as John Alexander ( 1766 - 1849)One source listed my John as born in Pennsylvania but no other details. Son Benjamin was born 1818 in Fayette County Ohio. GGG Grandfather John married a Elizabeth Hedly June 26, 1811 in Harrison County, Ohio. 1820 Harrison County OHio where my GG Grandfather was born. Last found him in the 1840 census (we believe) in Holmes County Ohio. In my GG Grandfather Robert Alexander's obituary (John's son) it states Robert arrived in Holmes County Ohio in 1838 -- seems a match there as well. Thanks again -- any other info as available appreciated.
Bruce
Shadowfox60

Posted: 14 May 2013 4:44PM GMT
Surnames: Alexander
Thank you very much!! I will look closer at those particular PA counties now. Difficult to determine the migratin pattern as all I previously had was the birth of John's son Benjamin in Fayette County PA, his brother Robert (my GG Grandfather) born in Harrison County, Ohio in 1820 -- and then the family living in Holmes County Ohio in 1840. Add to that the DNA study indicating we are from Campbeltown Scotland -- but large hole in knowledge of when the ancestors departed Scotland and where/when arrived in America. My reply to Kellygirl may also be of interest to you. Appreciate your information very much! Willing to share whatever information I can find on Alexander family after our Scotland trip this Fall.
Bruce
shadowfox60

Posted: 14 May 2013 11:34PM GMT
Fayette County, PA was full of Revolutionary Patriots. A lot of them moved to Ohio about 1810. John is a common name in the Alexander lines, so it very possible he could be a son of someone other than Oliver. I give you credit for not settling for the closest match. I'm that way also. I have had to correct a few people who want to claim my ancestor. If you want to email me directly I will help you dig. On my Alexander side I descend from a line from Cecil County, MD. But, on my other side I have several lines from Fayette County, PA. prior to 1810. I used to know that area like the back of my hand.

Posted: 14 Jul 2013 3:28AM GMT
Hope you are still looking at old posts. My Alex re also from Cecil Co. MD. Lt. Wm Alexander ca 1743 married Elizabeth Caruthers. Our DNA says we stem from the John and Margaret Glasson Alexander group. Have never been able to find father of Lt. Wm. Any help appreciated. Will share. Lynn Fonde (lfonde@verizon,net.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic