Search for content in message boards

CAMPBELL'S IN Early VA, N.C., Tn.1700-1840's

CAMPBELL'S IN Early VA, N.C., Tn.1700-1840's

Posted: 7 Aug 2003 11:26AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Campbell, Labin, Smith, Hix, Kelley, Warren, Hill
Hello,
I am looking for a line of Campbell's that started in (I believe) VA., in the Lunenberg area abt. 1700's. I believe that this James Campbell may of had a father by the same name that immigrated here in 1720-22 from Scotland via England.
This James is said to have married Susannah Leak(e), daughter of Richard Leake of Va. abt. 1750
By the mid 1750's this line is found in early N.C. and they are listed on census files in Richmond in 1790. By the time of the 1790 census in N.C. most all of the children are grown and are living close by. In 1790 a Jr and Sr James Campbell are in Richmond and are my lines.
Also thee are William and Richard Campbell. This James Jr, William and Richard are all sons of James Sr.
Both William and Richard married sisters. They were Rachel and Samantha/Smithe Smith, daughters of John Smith Sr. also living in Richmond.
Most all of these Smith-Campbell's removed to Tn by 1820.
I am looking for any info on these lines. I believe that James Sr was a Rev. War soldier that held the rank of Capt. I don't believe that he ever rec. payment for his services in the military, nor did anyone in his line except for his son Richard. It is with the records of Richard Campbell that the family has been able to trace this line.
I am the des. of his son William Campbell and Samantha Smith.
Anyone have any info on this line? I have quite a bit of info aft. this. It is the line bef. William that has me stumped.

Thanks,

Karen @:>)

Re: CAMPBELL'S IN Early VA, N.C., Tn.1700-1840's

LAURIE (View posts)
Posted: 21 Sep 2003 9:48PM GMT
HELLO THERE I DO NOT KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY INFO ON MY LINE BUT I AM JUST ASSUMING THAT MY CAMPBELL IS PROBABLY FROM THOSE AREAS. HIS NAME IS IS EITHER SAYLOR CAMPBELL OR JAMES SAYLOR CAMPBELL. I HAVE A MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE THAT STATES HIS NAME IS JUST SAYLOR(SAILOR) CAMPBELLBUT THAT COULD BE WHAT EVERYONE JUST CALLED HIM BY..HE HAD A SON NAMED HERBERT THOMAS CAMPBELL B. IN FLINTVILLE ALABAMA IN 1918 AND THEY ALL MOVED UP TO GARY INDIANA AND ALL PASSED ON IN THAT TOWN....THE PROBLEM IS WE CANNOT GET PASSED SAYLOR'S NAME. NO INFO AT ALL.IF YOU HAVE ANY INFO ON THIS NAME PLEASE CONTACT ME...THANKS LAURIE

Posted: 23 Sep 2003 10:51AM GMT
Surnames: Campbell, Smith, Hix/Hicks, Kelly/Kelley, Hill, Warren
Hello,
I am sorry to say that I know of no person by that name in my Campbell line.
My Campbell's were in Va, N.C., Tn, Ar and Ok.

Regards,

Posted: 7 Oct 2003 7:50PM GMT
KAREN, WHAT OTHER INFORMATION DO YOU HAVE ON THE CAMPBELL LINE. MY GGRANDFATHER WAS WILLIAM H CAMPBELL , I'M STILL TRYING TO FIND HIS PARENTS - BORN ABOUT 1870 STILL ALIVE IN LEWIS CO TENN 1930. THANKS MINNIE

Posted: 8 Oct 2003 12:37AM GMT
Surnames: Campbell, Smith, Hill, Kelly-Kelley, Hicks-Hix & Warren of TN, N.C. & AR.
Minnie,
As I have stated, most of my line left Tn by the mid 1850's or so and went into Ar. I don't know off hand of any living in Lewis Co, Tn.
But I do have a book about my line and related lines of Campbell's.
I will look and see if your ancestor is listed in this book. Not all Campbell's are in this book. This is mainly the ones from Perry Co, Tn and that area ones related to James born abt. 1720 and his line.
Also if you have any details of your ancestors family, such as children names, places of birth, where and who he married and when, I can try and assist you. Give me as much info as you have and in the morning I will see what, if anything I can find for you.

Posted: 8 Oct 2003 10:01AM GMT
Surnames: Campbell, Smith, Hix-Hicks, Kelly-Kelley, Warren, Hill, Hughey, Huey, of N.C./TN>Ar>Ok.
Minnie,
I have done a few searches and found the following on census files:

CAMPBELL, WILLIAM H. 1860 CARTER CO, TN.
2 ND DIV. PG. 427

CAMPBELL, WILLIAM H. 1850 FAYETTE CO, TN.
1ST CIVIL DIV. PG. 234

CAMPBELL, WILLIAM H. 1860 GRUNDY CO
DIST. 9 PG. 450

MC CAMPBELL, WILLIAM H. 1850 KNOX CO
15TH SUB DIV. PG. 157

MC CAMPBELL, WILLIAM H. 1850 KNOX CO.
KNOXVILLE, TN. PG. 101

CAMPBELL, WILLIAM H. 1850 PERRY CO..***
NO TOWNSHIP PG. 151

CAMPBELL, WILLIAM H.H. 1850 WILLIAMSON CO.***
6TH CIVIL DIST. PG. 172

Marriage Records:
I also found a record of a marriage of a Wiliam H. Campbell b. Tn, to a Louisa Jane Poer on )4, Jan. 1852 in Lawrence Co, Ar.

Military Records:
wILLIAM CAMPBELL PVT. COMPANY "H" FROM OHIO
INF. REFRENCE PG. 66 (423) CAPTURED IN COLUMBIA, TN. IN 1864 1129 CODE # 47001 GRAVE-0

Looking in my book entitled, "Those Campbell Boys From Perry County" by LJY I find just one person with that name.
I won't go into a lot of detail untill I hear from you as to if this could be him. The basic info is :

FAMILY GROUP SHEET
married 06, Aug. 1817 in Davidson Co, TN.
Died: Aft. 1870 in Perry Co, Tn.
FATHER: RICHARD CAMPBELL**
MOTHER: RACHEL SMITH***
Death: Aft. 1860 in Perry Co, TN.

!. UNKNOWN CAMPBELL MALE B. 1810

2. WILLIAM H. CAMPBELL B. ABT. 1820 IN TN. MARRIED
MARTHA A. UNKNOWN

3. UNKNOWN CAMPBELL FEM. B. ABT. 1815

Known children of the previously listed William H. Campbell and Martha Unknown were:

1. JOHN L. CAMPBELL B. ABT. 1845 TN.
2. TEMPY ELIZABETH CAMPBELL B. ABT. 1848 TN.
3. BENJAMIN F. CAMPBELL B. ABT. 1850 TN.
4. WILLIAM CAMPBELL B. ABT. 1853 TN.
5. NANCY J. CAMPBELL B. ABT. 1855 TN.
6. SAMUEL J. CAMPBELL B. AFT. 1857 TN.
7. MARTHA A. CAMPBELL B. ABT. 1859 TN.
8. LOUIS CAMPBELL B. ABT. 1862 TN.

This info just might give you some leads on your line of Campbell's as this is all that I have.
I hope that this helps. good luck and let me know if you find anything.

** ** the above are in my family. RICHARD CAMPBELL born mid 1700's in N.C. son of JAMES CAMPBELL and SUSANNAH LEAKE. RICHARD was the brother to my ancestor WILLIAM, also born in the mid 1700's N.C.
RACHEL SMITH was the sister to my ancestor, SMITHE (SMITH) CAMPBELL, Wife of WILLIAM #1 IN MY LINE- both daughters of JOHN SMITH, both named in his will dated 1824 WILLIAMSON COUNTY, TN. He died the following yr after writing his will.

Karen

Posted: 21 Mar 2009 1:18PM GMT
Karen...saw your old post and am curious as to where you got the info that William was married to Smithy Smith, Rachel's sister? A deed was found naming Smithy as married to James Campbell JR, Richard's oldest son by Susannah Leak, in Fairfield CO SC.She signed, as well as her brother and Richard Campbell. I believe this has been posted on some of the sites. I do think there was a brother named William living close by them in Richmond. He was not the William that later lived in Hickman, proven by DNA, tho. As to the William H Campbell in Lewis CO TN....he was the son of Milton Campbell, who is also listed on that same census page, living with his neice Parlee and family, as a widower. His mother was Mary Smith, dau of Wiley Smith, of the same county. Milton was the son of William Campbell, born 1810 TN, grandson of the William 1776 NC, in Hickman CO TN, that many have confused as marrying Smithy.

Posted: 11 Jun 2013 11:44AM GMT
Hi Karen,I am a decendant of Richard Campbell,born in 1755.His wifes name was Rachel Smith.My line comes from his son,William Dillard Campbell,whose son was James Calloway Campbell who died in Illa,Georgia in 1906.I have attended family reunions there.I currently live in Greenville,S.C.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions