Search for content in message boards

Sampson Clarke and Emma Ellen Parks

Sampson Clarke and Emma Ellen Parks

Posted: 14 Jun 2006 12:40AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Clarke, Parks, Boomhower and Godfrey
I'm looking for the parents of Sampson clarke and Emma Ellen Parks.

1. SAMPSON1 CLARKE1 was born 28 Mar 1860 in Ontario1. He married EMMA ELLEN PARKS. She was born 24 Feb 1871 in Ontario.

Children of SAMPSON CLARKE and EMMA PARKS are: MATHEW2 CLARKE, b. 15 Jan 1887, Hastings County, Ontario Canada.
MARGARET CLARKE, b. 15 Apr 1890, Farady, Hastings County Ontario.
MAYNARD CLARKE, b. 15 Apr 1890, Hastings County, Ontario Canada; d. 1972, Pittsburg, Ontario, Canada.
MARY NELLIE MAY CLARKE, b. 07 May 1893, Lennox & Addington Township Of Kenncker2; d. 14 Feb 1917, Hastings, Ontario, Canada
BENJAMIN NELSON CLARKE2, b. 06 Sep 1899, Deseronto Hastings, Ontario, Canada; d. 05 Sep 1917, Hastings, Ontario, Canada2.
EFFIE ELLEN CLARK, b. 06 Nov 1906, Deseronto Hastings, Ontario, Canada3.

Generation No. 2

2. MAYNARD2 CLARKE (SAMPSON1) was born 15 Apr 1890 in Hastings County, Ontario Canada, and died 1972 in Pittsburg, Ontario, Canada. He married HELEN MARGARET GODFREY, daughter of LUKE GODFREY and VIOLET CADE. She was born 02 May 1905 in Kennebec Frontenec, Ontario, Canada, and died 23 Apr 1998 in Picton, Prince Edward Co. Ontario.

Notes for HELEN MARGARET GODFREY:
Clark At H.J. McFarland Memorial Home, on Thrudays, April 323, 1998.
Helen Elizabeth Clarke, formerly of 113 Mary Street Picton. Beloved wife of the late Maynard. Loved mother of Orma and her husband Arthur Hefferman of Bobcageon, Basil Burness Clarke both of Big Island Dear Sister of Bruce Godfrey of Pennsylvania and Winnifred Darlinton and Victoria Cormier. Sadly missed by her grandchildren; Cheryl Deshane and Meldoy Moylaison and her great grandchildren; Michael, Christopher, Stephanie and Tyler. Mrs. Clarke Rested atThe Whattam Funernal Home, 33 Main Street, West, Picton, Ontario
Any Assistance would be greatly appreciated. Sampon was listed on the 1881 census with Edward and Jane Boomhower.

Re: Sampson Clarke and Emma Ellen Parks

Posted: 16 Jun 2006 2:12AM GMT
Sampson Clarke is a very unique name. That uniquness leads me to Kennebec, Addington County as a guess as to where he was born.

Cannot find a marriage record for them or any death records 1869-1932 which is the limit of the index I use. So look for their deaths after 1932.

I see one Sampson Clarke born 1860 working on the farm of Edward Boomhower age 44 on the 1881 census.. I used:
www.familysearch.com

HE IS THE ONLY SAMPSON CLARK ON THE 1881 CENSUS IN ONTARIO.

SAMPSON CLARK Household
Male
Birth Year <1860>
Birthplace Ontario
Age 21
Occupation Farm Labourer
Marital Status
Ethnic Origin German
Head of Household EDWARD BOOMHOWER
Religion E. Methodist
Source Information:
Census Place Kennebec, Addington, Ontario
Family History Library Film 1375873
NA Film Number C-13237
District 118
Sub-district M
Page Number 26
Household Number 110

I don't find any Emma's or Emma Janes in Kennebec, Addington, Ontario in 1881 but I did find a child JANE PARKS.

Household:

Name Marital Status Gender Ethnic Origin Age Birthplace Occupation Religion
WESLEY PARKS M Male German 32 Ontario Farmer E. Methodist
SARAH JANE PARKS M Female German 28 Ontario E. Methodist
EUNIS PARKS Female German 8 Ontario E. Methodist
***JANE PARKS Female German 6 Ontario E. Methodist
JAMES PARKS Male German 4 Ontario E. Methodist
ALMYRD PARKS Female German 1 Ontario E. Methodist
Source Information:
Census Place Kennebec, Addington, Ontario
NA Film Number C-13237
District 118
Sub-district M
Page Number 3
Household Number 12

Only 3 birth records appear under FRONTENAC records for births to Wesley and Sarah Jane BUT they give us Sarah Jane maiden name as WOODCOCK.

Unice Parks 19 Feb 1873 Female Frontenac Wesley Parks Sarah Jane Woodcock
Maggie Beatrice Parks 3 Jan 1890 Female Frontenac Wesley Parks Sarah Jane Woodcock
Fuciedlay Parks 11 Sep 1896 Female Unknown Wesley Parks Sarah Jane Woodcock

The Boomhower, Parks, Clark and Woodcock familes are inter married when I look at the birth records. i.e. ON THE 1911 CENSUS WE SEE THE WESLEY CLARK FARM IS RIGHT NEXT DOOR TO THE BOOMHOWER FARM.

John Thomas Parks 18 Sep 1888 Male Frontenac parents were James Parks Mary Ann Woodcock

William James Parks 5 Dec 1879 Male Frontenac parents Elias N Parks Rossetta Boomhower

Albert Frederick Parks 25 Mar 1877 Male Ontario parents William Parks Jane Clark

Then i went back to the 1871 census at;

www.censusfinder.com

Ran the name Clark and there are about 7 Heads of familes listed in Kennebec, Addington in 1871 that could be Sampson's father.

about the same number of Parks familes in Kennebec.

There are about 2 dozen other Clark and Parks families in Addington in different towns in 1871.

This is exactly the same way we found our GG grandfather in grey county in the 1860's. He was working on a farm and ended up marrying the farmer's daughter my GG grandmother.

I AM PRETTY CONFIDENT YOUR ORIGINAL FAMILY ROOTS LIE IN KENEBEC, ADDINGTON COUNTY. UNFORTUNATELY WWW.CENSUSFINDER STATES "NO CENSUS RECORDS FOR ADDINGTON EXIST" IT THEN REFERS YOU TO THE LENOX-ADDINGTON SECTION BUT THE 1861 CENSUS IS NOT THERE.

ASK IF ANYONE KNOWS WHERE A COPY OF THE 1861 ADDINGTON COUNTY CENSUS IS AND CHECK THE TOWN OF KENEBEC.

OR CHECK IF ANYONE HAS THE MARRIAGE RECORDS FOR KENEBEC/ADDINGTON AND LOOK TO SEE IF SAMPSON MARRYING EMMA PARKS IS LISTED.

GOOD LUCK!

STEPHEN (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jun 2006 2:26AM GMT
CHECK OUT THIS WEBSITE. HAS THE 1861 ADDINGTON CENSUS SOURCES LISTED

I GOOGLE SEARCHED "KENNEBEC ADDINGTON COUNTY CANADA"

This was #1 on the list.

Bryan Lee Dilts 1984 1851 Census of Portland and Hinchinbrooke ...Index To the 1851 Census of Canada West (Ontario); Compiled by Renie A. Rumpel. Index To the 1861 Census of Lennox & Addington County; Linda Corupe ...
www.geneofun.on.ca/db.php?database=ogwbooks&; template=ogwbooks.html&sort=TITLE&search=TOPIC&am... - 19k - Cached - Similar pages

If you open it it tells you how to get the Lennox/Addington 1861 "super census index". It is a book.

Posted: 16 Jun 2006 12:43PM GMT
Good motning.

From censusfinder.com
(1861 cenus records)

This may be him with a slight deviation in the spelling of the first name. the last name listed is SAMSON CLARK.

C Names

CLARK 1861 census 075 page 005 line 21
@ca.on.frontenac.kennebec_township film C1022 lds0349264
21 CLARK Edward m 41 Ernestown EMeth farmer married
22 CLARK {?} Hannah f 37 Que EMeth married
23 CLARK Robert m 18 Camdon EMeth
24 CLARK Martha f 17 Camdon EMeth
25 CLARK Danial m 15 Camdon EMeth
26 CLARK Edward m 15 Camdon EMeth
27 CLARK Matilda f 11 Camdon EMeth
28 CLARK Phillip m 9 Ernestown EMeth
29 CLARK Emley f 7 Kennebeck EMeth
30 CLARK Guniety? f 5 Kennebeck EMeth
31 CLARK Samson m 1 Kennebeck EMeth

If this is your Samson with a father Edward born circa 1820 this MAY POSSIBLY BE EDWARD"S DEATH RECORD:

Name: Edward Clark
Death Date: 18 Jan 1907
Death Location: Frontenac
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1820
Birth Location: Twp CAMDEN

This may be the Mother Hannah's death record: The only clues on the death record are this woman was born in ERNESTOWN where Edward was born and the dcotor treating her came out of East Camden. The year of birth is off as per the 1861 census but you know how census ages can be.

Hannah E Clark
Death Date: 7 and 8 Jan 1883
Death Location: Lennox
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1815
Birth Location: Ernestown

Posted: 16 Jun 2006 12:54PM GMT
You mention Emma gives birth to most of her children in Hastings. then this is a possability from the 1881 census and she DID NOT come out of Addington county at all.

JAMES PARKS M Male German 40 Ontario Farmer E. Methodist
NANCY PARKS M Female Irish 36 Ontario E. Methodist
EMMA PARKS Female German 11 Ontario E. Methodist
JAMES PARKS Male German 8 Ontario E. Methodist
MINNIE PARKS Female German 6 Ontario E. Methodist
MARGARET PARKS Female German 3 Ontario E. Methodist
EDWARD PARKS Male German 1 Ontario E. Methodist
WILLIAM EWART Male Scottish 14 Scotland C. Presbyterian

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
Census Place Tyendinaga, Hastings East, Ontario
NA Film Number C-13237
District 120
Sub-district B
Division 4
Page Number 28
Household Number 127

Linda Godfrey (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jun 2006 3:39AM GMT
Hi Steven

Your response is greatly appreciated. I'm sure that Samson is the same Sampson I'm looking for. And you are very correct in that the families are all interrelate and from Kennebec. I will work at trying to find out if the Samson you found is in fact the Sampson Clark I'm searching for.
Thanks again-Linda

Diane Shaw (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jun 2006 11:23AM GMT
1901 census Sheffield, Addington,

Sampson Clark, head, 28 Mar 1860, 41, b Ontario, farmer
Emma E, wife, 24 Feb 1871, 30
Mathew, son, 15 Jan 18874, 14
Manyerd, son, 15 Apr 1890,10
Nellie M, dau, 7 May 1894, 7
Benny N, son, 6 Sep1899, 2

Linda Godfrey (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jun 2006 10:25PM GMT
Thank you-Diane. I do have this information. What I did find on the birth certificates was Emma full name as Emma Ellen Parks. And I'm still trying to find Sampson's father as well.
Thanks again,
Linda

Posted: 20 Jun 2006 2:47AM GMT
Surnames: Clark, Parks, Schoolcraft, Dillon
To everyone working on these families- it took me awhile to figure everyone out, but have worked quite a bit on Kennebec families......

Emma Ellen Parks born Feb. 24, 1871 was the d/of Nathaniel Parks 1821-1879 and his wife Mary Dillon 1835-sometime after 1901- her date of death is prob. online but have not looked for it yet. Mary's parents were William Dillon and Sarah Mellow. Mary was born in either Scotland or Ireland. I think one of her marriages says bp WICKLOW which I believe is in Ireland?

Samson Clark born March 28 1860 was the son of Edward Clark 1819-1907 (Born @ Ernestown) and his wife Hannah Schoolcraft 1824-1869. Edward and Hannah both died @ Kennebec. I am not sure where they are buried. I have names of nine children for them incl. Samson. Hannah's parents were Scoville or Schofield Scoolcraft born 1802 @ Stanbridge (Stansbridge?), Missiquoi, Quebec and his wife Catherine but I have not yet found her maiden name. She was born 1798 in either NYS or Quebec, not sure. Would love to know her maiden name.

Edward Clark's parents were William Clark born about 1760, died after 1861 and Rebecca Babcock 1791-1856. I don't know where William Clark is buried but his wife Rebecca is buried @ the Union Lutheran Cem., Ernestown.

Here's the interesting part- Edward was married three times, first to Hannah Schoolcraft who died in 1869, then to Sarah Jane Fralick in October 1871(sometimes Fraleigh)daughter of Peter Fralick & Elizabeth Johnston, not sure what hap. to her, when she died, etc. and then he married Mary Dillon in June 1880 mother of same Emma Parks above- Mary was the widow of Nathaniel Parks. I am not 100% positive but think this Nathaniel Parks was the son of David Parks born 1772 and Dianna Woodcock born 1779- check with Parks researchers who are more knowledgable about their families than I am.

I have nine pages of info (genealogy report) starting @ Edward Clark down, very rough working file- will send to anyone who wants it- please let me know. Anyone working on any families in Kennebec with questions, please ask. I have files on most of the families who were there 1861-1901.

Nora

Posted: 20 Jun 2006 11:35PM GMT
Hi Nora,

I can't thank you enough for all the information on Sampson Clark and Emma Ellen Parks. This will help me a great deal.

Again Thank you,

Linda Godfrey
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions