Search for content in message boards

J. Duncan Simons in Buffalo, Erie County, NY early 1900's

J. Duncan Simons in Buffalo, Erie County, NY early 1900's

Posted: 29 Jun 2005 6:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 May 2006 3:00PM GMT
Surnames: McNeil Simons Heim Enser Barnes Conlon
This person married my GM sister sometime in the 30's. Mrs. J. Duncan Simons is my Grand Aunt. Her maiden name was Elizabeth McNeil. Any info that anyone might have on the Simons or even on the McNeil's would be appreciated. I have some info on the McNeil's but am always looking for more.

Thank you in Advance!

Will

McNeil,Elizabeth nee McNeil, suddenly March 7, 1956 of 368 West Hazeltine Ave.
Kenmore. Wife of the late Roderick D. McNeil, mother of James J. of East
Aurora, Mrs. John Barnes, Mrs. J. Duncan Simons of Lakewood NY, Roderick J. ,
Mrs. Harold Heim & Mrs Wilfred Enser. Sister of Mrs. James J. Conlon of
Halifax NS. Also survived by 16 Grand children and 5 Great Grandchildren.
Funeral from William A. Rolling Funeral Home, 3000 Deleware at Tremont.
Services at St. Pauls Church

Re: J. Duncan Simons in Buffalo, Erie County, NY early 1900's

susana julio (View posts)
Posted: 12 Dec 2005 12:47AM GMT
My GGrandfather was named John Duncan Simons and he lived in Buffalo at that time. I don't know much about him but I'm looking! He came from Canada at the turn of the century and had a boarding house on Dorris Avenue in Buffalo. Does any of this fit with your folks?

Posted: 12 Dec 2005 1:36PM GMT
Surnames: McNeil Simons

Susana

It is entirely possible it is the same fellow. Do you know if his wife was named Elizabeth? I have some notes I show 3 children:

Mary
John
Ann

Would your grandmother's name be Mary or Ann? Grandfather's name John? I would have to go poking around in the 1930 census to see if I can find anything. I am not sure of the ages of Mary, John or Ann. Would only assume they were born after 1930 as Elizabeth McNeil Simons was born in 1910 and just as a guess any of her kids would have been born 1928 or later. (That is assuming she was 18 at the time the oldest was born) The Dorris Avenue part is interesting as well.

I just checked Yahoo maps and my McNeils were living in the same general area.. See if any of what I have said above fits yours.

Susana Julio (View posts)
Posted: 12 Dec 2005 7:46PM GMT
My J. Duncan Simons would have been 61 years old in 1930. According to the Buffalo census for 1930 his wife was named Maude. Apparently ole' J.D. was married several times. My GGrandmother, one of J.D's earlier wives,and was named Catherine Amanda. Isn't that pretty? I don't know what happened to her - both she and J.D. were Canadians so perhaps she popped back across the border, or maybe she died, I don't know. They had only one son that I'm aware of, his name was Ross Charles Simons- that would be my Grandfather. My J.D. was French-Canadian, and also spelled his named Simon and Simonds. He is related to the Duncan Simonds family of Wainfleet, Ontario.
It's hard to find out info when you only have the Internet and a few family memories to go on; not to mention that I live way down in Florida!

Posted: 13 Dec 2005 4:16PM GMT
Surnames: McNeil Simons Enser Barnes
Susana

It does not look as tho we have a match here. Hmm.. that is too bad. I have been looking for info on Duncan for a couple of years now so I understand your frustration as well. All of the names from that era were very interesting to say the least. If I happen to come up with any info on your family I will pass it along here.

Regards

Will in Buffalo
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions