Search for content in message boards

Kurnatowski / Wieruszewski

Kurnatowski / Wieruszewski

Dominik Zynis (View posts)
Posted: 23 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wieruszewski, Kurnatowski
My grandfather was born in Gniezno in 1900. His father's name was Stanis~law. However, my g-grandfather's father who's name I do not know changed him name from Kurnatowski to his mother's (my g-g-g-grandmother) maiden name Wieruszewska. I have been told the name change occured b/c the Germans were seeking my g-g-grandfather. If you have any info on these two names please contact me.

Re: Kurnatowski / Wieruszewski

beverly von kurnatoski (View posts)
Posted: 14 Nov 2001 6:19AM GMT
Classification: Query
The von Kurnatowski family that I know came to New Orleans in the late 20's via Carbo Gracias a Dias Nicaragua, where they fled their mahogany plantation during an upheveal. Of course they are originally from Poland. The family is listed in the Genelogy of the German Nobility (Adele) because they originate from the part of Poland taken by Prussia during the partitioning of Poland. It was at that time that the Kurnatowskis were given the "von" prefix to the name. This book states that the family is in the Polish record book as one of the oldest Polish families. The name began as Starogradski, was changed to Kurnatowice, and then to Kurnatowski. I am telling this to you from memory, so some of the spellings may be wrong. I will locate the name of the German book and let you know so you can trace your family through it. I am on the web tonight trying to find the book and saw your message board.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic