Search for content in message boards

Mays Family DNA Project

Mays Family DNA Project

Posted: 14 Aug 2003 3:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Jul 2004 3:17AM GMT
Surnames: Mays, May, Mayes, Mayse
The MAY/MAYS/MAYES DNA Family Reconstruction Project now has forty-three individuals being tested, with a number of surprising DNA matches. Most with documented ancestry dates back to the 1700s. If you have not visited the web site, the URL is:

http://www.richmark.com/q/maytree/May-reconstruction.html

All are welcome to join the project with surname MAY, MAYS, MAYES, etc. However, in order for your family to be tested, you must have a living male family member with the MAY/MAYS/MAYES surname. Particularly if you think you might be a descendent of one of these families in the study, your participation would be very welcome.

Re: Mays Family DNA Project

Phyllis Mays Bush (View posts)
Posted: 15 Aug 2003 1:34AM GMT
What might be the geographic location(s) of the Mays branches you are trying to locate? My branch seems to have gone from South Carolina to Pennsylvania by way of Georgia, according to the information I have. My grandfather then migrated to Indiana, and there are many of us Mays' here. This sounds like a very intriguing project....Phyllis Bush

Posted: 15 Aug 2003 2:26AM GMT
Surnames: Mays, Mayes, Mayse, May
My specific family started out in 1822 in Amherst Co., Virginia, moved to Northwest Alabama between 1830-1840, and into Mississippi about 1847.

However, some of the collateral lines moved to West Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky, South Carolina, and Georgia (to name a few).

I personally hit a brick wall and am looking for connections that are unknown that might establish known links to previous generations. I am hoping that the difference in spelling (May versus Mays et al) was not so dearly important 250 years ago!

Check out the URL; they have many different branches....

Posted: 15 Aug 2003 2:39AM GMT
Surnames: Mays, May, Mayse, Mayes, Maze
The URL in my original message may not work. Apparently the "R" in "reconstruction" must be capitalized. Please try the following:

http://www.richmark.com/q/maytree/May-Reconstruction.html

Sorry for the error.

Constance Mays (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jan 2004 8:44AM GMT
Surnames: Mays
I am writing concerning your dna project. I happen to be borned a Mays from Cleveland Ohio.I have eight sisters and two brothers. my oldest son still carries the name Mays. i have nine children myself not to mention over 50 nephews and neices.I would like to take part in your project.

Posted: 30 Jan 2004 4:32AM GMT
Surnames: Mays, May
You need to contact the administrator of the May family DNA project, Mark May, at mmay@richmark.com

I just posted the info to this site. Mark's website seems to be "down" at the moment, but check out the following:

www.richmark.com/q/maytree/May-Reconstruction.html

This will give you a good idea of what they are doing.

Thanks. Email me back if you have troubles.

Wes

Posted: 22 May 2004 2:19AM GMT
I read your posting about your ancestors being from Mississippi. My grandfather's name was Walter Courtney Cohee Mays. I just found out that he was born in Mississippi. His father was born in South Carolina and his mother was born in Mississippi. I don't know their names or anything else. They both passed away before I started asking questions. I just thought you might have run across his name. I know from family stories that there was a plantation at one time. Thanks for any help you can give me. Linda May Farmer

Re: Mays Family in Mississippi

Posted: 22 May 2004 3:21AM GMT
Surnames: Mays
I only have one Walter Herman Mays in my files and he is a contemporary cousin. The names that you listed are not ones that show up in my files. As you continue researching the Mays forum, you will find that some Mays families migrated to North Carolina from Virginia in the mid 1700's...You may find your link there.

My family was from the Lowndes/Clay County of NorthEastern Mississippi, but came through Alabama from Virginia. Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Posted: 10 Jan 2005 3:37AM GMT
I would like to participate! I can trace back to Thomas Mays Revolutionary War Vetran Married to Mary Hamilton.
Bob Mays

Re: Mays/Mayes West Virginia Searches

Posted: 3 May 2008 12:29PM GMT
Check out some of the Mays/Mayes postings for the Boone County, West Virginia genealogy board on ancestry. Also, West Virginia has some West Virginia online vital records available at http://www.wvculture.org/vrr/va_select.aspx. You can google West Virginia on-line vital records for more information.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic