Search for content in message boards

Obituary of Gladys Luloff Hyde

Obituary of Gladys Luloff Hyde

Posted: 14 Jul 2004 1:32AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Jul 2004 1:59AM GMT
Surnames: LULOFF, hyde
I am seeking any information on the date of death of classical musician Gwladys Luloff Hyde;she was very active in the Detroit area in the 1930's and 1940's; she probably died sometime around 1952, because a memorial concert was played in her honor during that year. I need this information to update records of a national music fraternity of which she was an honorary member. I have already checked with the Burton Historical Collection and the Performing Arts Department of the Detroit Main Library; they have some articles about her, but no obituary.

Re: Obituary of Gladys Luloff Hyde

Georgia Clark (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jul 2004 12:20AM GMT
Dear Pat,

Do you have the date of the memorial concert and would it have been an event that might have been in the newspapers? If so, I would try writing the Detroit Public Library, Att: General Information, 5201 Woodward Avenue, Detroit, MI 48202 and ask if they would look for the article. Possibly it would mention her date of death. If they cannot do this and you have the date, borrow the microfilms of the local Detroit (assuming the concert was here?) newspapers through the Inter Library Loan (ILL) program. The papers in the 1950s were "The Detroit News", "The Detroit Free Press" and "The Detroit Times". The Times ceased publication either in 1960 or 1961.

http://www.detroit.lib.mi.us/ill/lending.htm

Georgia

Posted: 15 Jul 2004 12:24AM GMT
Did she play with the Detroit Symphony Orchestra? I have no idea how long they have been around but that would be another place to try.

http://www.detroitsymphony.com/

Georgia

Posted: 15 Jul 2004 12:28AM GMT
Try the Bentley Historical LIbrary.

http://www.umich.edu/~bhl/

Pat Loeffler (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jul 2004 2:18AM GMT
Surnames: Luloff, Hyde
Hi, Georgia
Thank you so much for the hints; I will try the Bentley Library and possibly the newspapers. the problem is that I don't have the date of her death and the Public Library didn't have it; that is actually the information that I'm trying to find out. Although she may have been a soloist with the DSO at one time, she could not have been a member of the orchestra because her specialty was playing ancient instruments--ie. the clavichord and harpsichord--these are not modern symphony instruments. Also, there were not female orchestra members prior to 1950. I did get a lead on members of a musical organization that is no longer in existence, but who might know this info. They actually presented the Memorial concert.

Posted: 15 Jul 2004 1:37PM GMT
Dear Pat,

Forgot to mention that the Bentley has Detroit City Directories (not sure what years) but if Gladys lived in Detroit, you could see if she appeared the the CDS in the '50s.

Georgia

Obituary of Gladys Luloff Hyde d.5 Sept. 1958

Posted: 28 Jul 2004 6:11PM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Edited: 31 Jul 2004 9:29PM GMT
Surnames: Hyde, Rodgers, Metivier
Detroit News paper 7 July 1958 pg-22

HYDE- Gladys C., Sept. 5th (formerly Gladys C. Rodgers, of 1640 Pennsylvania Ave.) beloved sister of Ralph and Miss Julia Metivier. Services 2 o'clock Sunday afternoon at the R. G. and R. G. Harris Funeral Home, 15251 Harper Ave. Interment Manlius, New York.

Andie11 (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jul 2006 2:49AM GMT
Edited: 13 Jul 2006 4:37PM GMT
Surnames: Luloff, Hide, Metivier
I think that Gladys Luloff Hyde died prior to 1958. I attended a memorial concert, about 1952. with my mother, cousin of Gladys & we met Glady's father (my mother's Uncle) there. There was a large painting of her in the lobby.
The obit says sister of Ralph & Julia Metivier. Glady's parents were married until her her mother died & her father never remarried.

Pat Loeffler (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jul 2006 5:52AM GMT
Surnames: Luloff
Hi Andie,
Yes, apparently the obituary that someone posted was someone else, so I never did get an exact date of death for your cousin. She was an outstanding person in the community. Do you have any other information, or by any chance did you keep a program from the Memorial Concert? I'm sure that the National officers of Sigma Alpha Iota International Music Fraternity would like to know about this. Gwladys (this seems to be the original spelling of her name, was an Honorary Member of this organization--it is a very large organization with thousands of initiated members at many colleges and music conservatories. Some of the most famous women in music are Honorary Members. I would be interested in any information you could come up with. Thanks for answering. Pat

Andie11 (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jul 2006 1:54PM GMT
Hi Pat,

Sorry I don't have a copy of the concert.
I was aware that scholarships were given in her name & wrote to a musician that said she was a recipent but she couldn't give any additional info.(I'll see if I can find her reply)
Her birth name was Gladys & the w may have been added by her at a later time.
I know she was married in the 1930 census & living in Detroit.
She may have died before 1952. Her husband was remarried & I don't know if they were divorced prior to her death.
I can remember going to her parents home in Detroit to visit in late 40's - early 50's, but never met Gladys or recall her being mentioned.
She was born in Canada & came to the States as a young child.
Her father Frank died in Dec. 1964, I don't have exact date. If you could find where he is buried, it's possible that Gladys is there too.I don't live in MI any more but if someone could do a look-up for you at the Detroit Public Library, it might be a lead.

Andie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic