Search for content in message boards

Nancy Ward

Nancy Ward

Posted: 23 Jul 2006 5:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Information on Nancy Ward: Nancy;s parents were Tame Doe and Fivekiller. Tame Doe was the daughter of Nancy Moytoy and White Owl Raven; Nancy Moytoy was a full blood Cherokee her father was Amatoya Moytoy and Quatsy of Tellico. Amatoya and Quatsy had several children of whom were : Moytoy, Old Hop/Cunne Shote, and Nancy. Moytoy and his brother CunneShote were both Chiefs of the Cherokee and all were fullbloods. Nancy Ward was Old Hop/CunneShote's neice. There is a book published by the Deleware COunty Historical Society of Oklahoma that has a number of family information on the many Ward relations it is called Heritage of the Hills a Deleware County, Oklahoma Historical Society book. You can obtain this book from the historical Society located in Jay, Oklahoma it is about $65.00

I am having trouble with my computer right now but can be reached at an alternate email: libwatson@yahoo.com i regards to any genealogical information.

Re: Nancy Ward

s. ward (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jul 2006 6:50PM GMT
Nancy was daughter of John Ward who was kidnapped at age 3 and raised by Indians.

Posted: 28 Jul 2006 11:37AM GMT
Can you tell me the decendants of Nancy Ward, I would like to see if I have a connection to these. many thanks BradL.

My great great grandfather was Alexander L Ward born abt 1848 married to Zelpha Hampton.

s. ward (View posts)
Posted: 1 Aug 2006 9:37PM GMT
Sorry, I don't have anything after Nancy. Alexander is not familiar to me.

Posted: 2 Aug 2006 4:13AM GMT
I have a Nancy Agnes Ward that was the daughter of John C. Ward in my family line. Is this the Nancy Ward you are talking about? If so, please reply.

Posted: 2 Aug 2006 4:22AM GMT
Is this Nancy Agnes Ward, daughter of John C. Ward and Mary Elizabeth Peatt, the same Nancy your talking about?? If so, please reply

Posted: 2 Aug 2006 3:14PM GMT
Thank you for replying, I dont have much on my Ward line, I have been trying to find out more. This is what I have.

Richard C Ward born 1790 NC. married to Mary Ann Murphy. I only have that they had 2 children, but I am sure they had more.
Children:
John Murphy Ward born 1810 NC
Hayward Ward born 1828 Tennessee.

I would like to find anyone connected to this tree. reagrds BradL

s. ward (View posts)
Posted: 2 Aug 2006 3:56PM GMT
Apologies. I may have been wrong. When I saw the name Tame Doe Ward, I assumed it was the wife of John. Anyway its an interesting story. From Ward family tree by Libby Preston: John was kidnapped by Shawnee at age 3, and raised by Indian family,and given the name White Wolf, and fought as an Indian in their campaigns. In 1774 he fought with Shawnee Indians at battle of Pt. Pleasant, Va. His father, James of Va Militia was killed there. John was killed with a skirmish with a white party that included his brother James at Reeve's crossing in Ross county Ohio. He was married to Sutawney Tame Doe. Their children are listed as : 1,Sutawney, 2, Phoebe 3,Mary 4, unknown.

Posted: 23 Aug 2006 8:39AM GMT
The John Ward I have was the son of Bryan Ward. Bryan was from Ireland County Donegal and his son John was born in Ireland. Bryan came to Colonial America about 1760 and married a white woman named Ann. He live near the Tugaloo River. He was a trader in the Cherokee Nation East where he married Nanyei or Nancy Ward a fullblood Cherokee/Delaware Indian. As I said in previous information her parents were Tame Doe and Fivekiller. Her great gramdfather was Amatoya Motoy Chief of the Cherokee Nation. Nancy was also known as the GHIGAU(Beloved Woman) She was given this title because she fought along side her first husband Kingfisher in the Creek Muskogee War when he fell in battle. She had the power to override any decision the Tribal council made. She was a very powerful woman of her time. She lived in what is now Polk County, TN and her grave is located there. She married Bryan Ward and had a daughter with him and she also had two children from her first marriage.

Bryan's son John Ward came into Cherokee Nation also with his father and married a half blood Cherokee named Catherine McDaniel. Catherine was the daughter of William David McDaniel who married the daughter(Sookie/Granny Hopper) of CunneShote/Old Hop Chief of the Cherokee Nation. Sookie was a fullblood Cherokee. John and Catherine had nine children. Among them was children named Alexander. The Ward family was intermarried with many of the Cherokees in Oklahoma Indian Territory and can be found on the Tribal Rolls known as the Old Settlers Roll as these were the cherokees who left the Cherokee Nation East before the Trail of Tears.

John Ward was never captured by any Indians nor was he raised by any. He was about Nineteen when he arrived in the Cherokee Nation East. His father Bryan died in Franklin County Georgia. I have a copy of his will. The information posted about John being captured by indians is incorrect.

I have extensive information on the Cherokee Ward connection and.

Posted: 23 Aug 2006 11:00AM GMT
Thank you for the reply, It does not look like there is a connection, although I may have the names wrong, I have not been able to find much info on my Ward side. this is all I have.
and I dont know if it is correct.

Richard C Ward born abt 1790 North Caroline. married Mary Ann Murphy.
children:
John (Murphy ?) Ward born abt 1810
Hayward Ward born abt 1828.

John (Murphy ? ) Ward Married Nancy Warren.
children:
Alexander L Ward born 1848, he married Zelpha Hampton.
There children:
Bradley L Ward 1878
Susan H Ward 1859
Jefferson Ward 1883
George Ward 1874.

I am sure they had more children, but I have not been able to find them.
If you know of these names, please let me know. regards BradL.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions