Search for content in message boards

"Family Tree Maker 2011 has stopped working"

"Family Tree Maker 2011 has stopped working"

Posted: 4 Aug 2011 3:05AM GMT
Classification: Query
Error message, "Family Tree Maker 2011 has stopped working" comes up when I try to start FTM. FTM2011 was working fine with Windows 7 and IE-8, when I installed updates from MS, which included IE-9. I now know that FTM will not work under IE-9, so I had MS reinstall IE-8, which it did and since then I can't get FTM to open. I have talked to Ancestry tech suport and followed their directions about uninstalling FTM and reinstalling FTM, to no avail, please HELP. Thank You

Re: "Family Tree Maker 2011 has stopped working"

Posted: 4 Aug 2011 11:18AM GMT
Lonnie,

First, did you make a Restore Point when you made these changes?

Secondly, FTM2011 Will work with MSIE9, but there is a Script Error that many have seen, after MSIE9 was introduced in March 2011. So, going back to MSIE8 isn't a bad thing.

What is missing here, is a little more details about what you are seeing when you re-installed FTM2011.

Did you do an Install or did you do a Repair?

Did you see any errors when you did this?

Are you seeing any error messages now?

Russ

Posted: 4 Aug 2011 4:43PM GMT
MS made a restore point before upgrading me to IE-9. Thats the restore point that I used to restore to IE-8.

I first did a restore to IE-8. Afterwards I have tried FTM repair without any help.

The only error I see from any of the above is "Family Tree Maker 2011 has stopped working"

I hope I answered all your questions....Thanks for the help.

Posted: 4 Aug 2011 4:49PM GMT
I also talked to Ancestry.com, "Support Central" and followed their advice and did a manual uninstall per "Manually uninstalliing Family Tree Maker 2010 or 2011".

Posted: 4 Aug 2011 4:54PM GMT
Lonnie,

And what happened after that?

Russ

Posted: 4 Aug 2011 5:06PM GMT
Same problem no change.

Posted: 4 Aug 2011 5:26PM GMT
Lonnie,

Did you see any Error Messages during the installation?

Did you try to install both FTM2010 and FTM2011? I think your earlier message mentioned both.

Was there a message about installing an Microsoft application during the installation?

Did you restart your PC after you went to the Restore Point?

Did you restart your PC after you installed Family Tree Maker, although you should not have had to? But, since we are troubleshooting it's sometime good to do the restart and ask the questions.

Russ

Posted: 4 Aug 2011 7:53PM GMT
Did you see any Error Messages during the installation?

No

Did you try to install both FTM2010 and FTM2011? I think your earlier message mentioned both.

I only have FTM2011.

Was there a message about installing an Microsoft application during the installation?

NO

Did you restart your PC after you went to the Restore Point?

Only if the instructions said so, I don't remember.

Did you restart your PC after you installed Family Tree Maker, although you should not have had to?

NO

Again, Thanks for your help.

Posted: 5 Aug 2011 3:04AM GMT
Lonnie,

Thank you.

Please restate where we are in getting FTM2011 up and running for you.

Russ

Posted: 5 Aug 2011 1:20PM GMT
I have FTM2011 installed with Windows7 and MSIE-8. FTM won't open, I get the following message when I try to open. "Family Tree Maker 2011 has stopped working"
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions