Search for content in message boards

Reconstructing The Pearl passenger list and Scottish Settlers on Sir Johnson's Land

Reconstructing The Pearl passenger list and Scottish Settlers on Sir Johnson's Land

Posted: 9 Oct 2007 4:14AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cameron, McDonnell, Grant, Mcmartin, etc
I am working on several projects trying to establish clearer links between Scottish families who had settled on Sir John Johnson's land in the Mohawk River Valley of New York before the revolution, their forebears, and their descendants.

One project is reconstructing a possible passenger list for The Pearl, a ship chartered by the McDonnells which brought over 400 highlands to New York in the fall of 1773.

While I know the list will never be 100% accurate, what I have to date is posted at:
http://www.calcamerons.com/pages/unsolved/reconst.html

The second project is finding as much information as possible about a small group of families who emigrated with my ancestors, Angus and Donald Cameron.
What I have to date about this group, which also came in 1773 but did not sail on The Pearl, is posted at:
http://www.calcamerons.com/pages/unsolved/famswcam.html

I welcome any additional documentation or corrections. Please respond to the email posted on the web page.

Thanks
Kim

Re: Reconstructing The Pearl passenger list and Scottish Settlers on Sir Johnson's Land

Posted: 11 Oct 2007 10:25AM GMT
Surnames: McDonald, McDonnall, Macdonnel, Merkle, Maracle
My ancestor was in The Kings Royal Rifles which I believe was part of Sir John Johnson's army, and came from the Mohawk Valley. His name was Donald McDonald, son of Donald McDonald and he was born in the Shire of Inverness around 1747.

If you think I could help with this project please let me know.

Regards
Marilyn Willette

Re: Reconstructing The Pearl passenger list and Scottish Settlers on Sir Johnson's Land

Posted: 4 Feb 2010 5:03AM GMT
Surnames: MacDonell
Hi Kim,
I tried the link to your Pearl passenger list, but was unable to connect.

Two of my ancestors were members of the KRRNY who went to Canada after the War and as Loyalists received land grants in Glengarry County. One of them was a MacDonell, hence my interest in the Pearl and its passengers.

If your information is still available, I would be very interested in it.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Linda

Posted: 10 Apr 2010 8:37PM GMT
Surnames: Ross
Hi Kim
My ancestors came over on the Pearl 1773. Name was Thomas Taylor Ross. Also latter immgrated to Glengarry, Canada.

Thank you
Ardath

Posted: 17 Apr 2010 4:50AM GMT
Interested in your findings but can't seem to access your links.

Posted: 24 May 2010 5:15PM GMT
Kim:

Do you have new links for your research? I'm interested to learn more about the passengers of the Pearl. Searching for info on Alexander MacMillan and his connections to others on the Pearl.

Thanks,
Frank

Posted: 3 Nov 2010 2:36AM GMT
The NEHGS is planning to publish an article I wrote on a reconstructed passenger list for the Pearl in the near future in American Ancestors.

One thing I can say before it goes to print is that I don't think Thomas Taylor Ross was on the Pearl. His rent due date is different from all the McDonnells.

Once it's out, I believe I will be able to forward reprints to individuals.

Kim

Posted: 27 Jun 2011 10:10PM GMT
Ardath,
Which voyage of The Pearl as I have a passenger list and Thomas Taylor Ross was not on it.
Graham
Graham Evan MacDonell
Principal Researcher
Scot-Can Genealogical Research Services
scotcangen@gmail.com

Posted: 27 Jun 2011 10:12PM GMT
Linda,
What was the first name of your MacDonell ancestor.
I have the passenger list of The Pearl...and may be able to help you.
Graham
Graham Evan MacDonell
Principal Researcher
Scot-Can GenealogicalResearch Services
scotcangen@gmail.com

Posted: 27 Jun 2011 10:24PM GMT
Kim,
Has that article been published as yet?
Graham
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions