Search for content in message boards

John A. Dill, Haywood County, Tennessee

John A. Dill, Haywood County, Tennessee

Posted: 14 Sep 2006 2:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Dill, Rowsey, Wells
Looking for information on the parents of John A. Dill, born 27 Nov 1833, Hardin Co. TN and died 30 Nov 1904, buried at Woodville Cemetery, Haywood Co. TN. He married Margaret V. Wells 3 Aug 1866 in Lauderdale Co. TN. Children: James W., John A., Alfred B, Mary Ida, Nannie and Mattie (from 1889 and 1900 censuses, Haywood Co. TN). These censuses also show that John A.’s father was born in NC and mother in KY.

John A. Dill is in the household of James Dill in 1850 census, Hardin Co. TN, siblings Nancy 21, Mary 19, Susan 13, Patsy 11, James B. 9.

In the 1830 and 1840 censuses of Hardin Co., James Dill’s wife is shown as born between 1800 and 1810. I suspect she is the daughter of Thomas Rowsey, who came from Virginia to Barren Co. KY about 1800 and thence to Hardin Co.TN by 1820. There is an Elizabeth Dill 22 in the household of Thomas Rowsey 85 in the 1850 Hardin Co. census, and there is a James Dill 19 in the household of James H. Rowsey 42 (son of Thomas) in the 1860 Hardin Co. census.

Re: John A. Dill, Haywood County, Tennessee

Posted: 14 Sep 2006 3:15PM GMT
Edited: 15 Sep 2006 12:10PM GMT
Surnames: Dill, Rowsey, Forbis, Moreton, Morton, Thompson
Thank you, John, for tipping me off that you posted this. This is a big coincidence....because just in the last few days I have really been bearing down trying to find anything that might establish that James Dill was married to one of Thomas Rowsey's daughters. There have been a number of families that we (my mother, cousins, etc.) have considered as likely but we have really zeroed in on the Rowseys...just because of the reasons you cited, ie, Elizabeth (the eldest of James Dill's children) living with them in 1850 and then later, in 1860 James (Jr) living with James Harrison Rowsey, Thomas' son. The other children, John A., Susan, and Patsy (Martha A) also lived with the Rowseys after James died in about 1853. Another sister Mary, died in 1852. Initially they went next to the family living next door, to Robert Forbis, but a short time later he moved his family to Texas and there is some legal paperwork that was filed that gave guardianship to the Rowseys. My mother's cousin has a copy of that paperwork.
Also, you will find John A. in the McNairy 1860 census living in the household of his sister Susan who was by that time married to William Morton (although it is spelled Moreton in the census). John is listed as John H., but that was an error, also. Later in 1861 I found Patsy (Martha A.) getting married to J H Thompson in McNairy Co. I have a bunch of this stuff on my Townsley Family Tree.
Do you know anything about what happened to James (Jr.)? I've never been able to locate him again after that 1860 census. Also, do you know anything about Elizabeth, the eldest daughter?
Re: the Rowseys.....do you know which daughter it might have been who married James Dill Sr.? I thought at first it was Delilah but found she had married someone else.
I also have info on possibly who James Sr.'s father might have been ..... that's really complicated but I have some good theories! Thanks again...sorry I am so long winded!

Posted: 14 Sep 2006 3:28PM GMT
Edited: 15 Sep 2006 12:11PM GMT
Surnames: Dill, Townsley
John, I forgot to say that my Townsley Family Tree is here on Ancestry. I'm still building it so it's not complete (are any of them?).

John Dalmas (View posts)
Posted: 15 Sep 2006 1:55PM GMT
Surnames: Dill, Rowsey
Niki, thanks for your post, and the more detail the better. If I had to guess the name of the daughter who married James Dill, it would be Elizabeth. Thomas Rowsey’s wife and several granddaughters were named Elizabeth, so surely one of the daughters was named that as well. You’ll see some genealogies of Thomas Rowsey with a daughter Elizabeth born 1828, but I think that’s just a misinterpretation of the 1850 census record.

If James Dill had any land in Hardin Co., it is possible that his wife is named in the deed books (available after 1835). If Hardin Co. ever kept any marriage records prior to 1863, they apparently did not survive the courthouse fires.

Now that you mention it, I do recall an old posting about J. H. Rowsey being appointed guardian of James and Patsy Dill in 1857. I don’t suppose that court record identifies him as their uncle, but if it did, that would prove what we’re thinking, at least to my satisfaction.

I have not been able to find Elizabeth Dill after 1850 or James B. Dill after 1860. I was looking any child of James Dill who survived long enough that there might be a death certificate, preferably with the names of his/her parents on it. Unfortunately, Tennessee did not start keeping statewide death records until 1908, so John A. Dill does not have one. Perhaps one of the other children is in the 1910 (or later) census.

You did a nice job on the tree you posted on Ancestry.com. Thanks for the new information on the marriages of Nancy, Susan, and Martha/Patsy Dill. I don’t have my Rowsey tree posted anywhere yet, but if you’d like to see what I currently have on Thomas Rowsey, let me know and I’ll attach it to an eMail.

Posted: 21 Sep 2006 7:39AM GMT
Edited: 22 Sep 2006 11:39AM GMT
Surnames: DILL, ROWSEY, LOFTIS, SCULLEY, ALFORD, CONRAD
Hi John, sorry it has taken me so long to reply to you. I, too, had thought that Elizabeth might have been James Dill's wife's name. I wondered about that younger Elizabeth who was in the 1850 Hardin census with the Rowseys. I don't know how old Thomas Rowsey's wife was before she died but it occurred to me that she might have been a little old to have had another child that late in life.
My big theory about the family of James Dill (Sr) is this...and I caution that it's a big "if" but here goes:
There was a William Dill born abt 1708 in Kent DE and he married a Mary Loftis. They had a number of children including two sons, William (b 1725 Kent DE) and John (b ? in Kent DE). These two married sisters, Sarah Sculley and Mary Sculley respectively. These two Sculley women's parents were John Burton Sculley and Sarah Alford.
John and Mary(Sculley) went to NC, then later to Tenn. They had several children, one of which was John Jr. who later died in 1849? in Wayne Co TN. John Jr married twice. I don't know his first wife's name but he had a number of children with her ( one of which was John Lee Dill b 1779). He then married Sophie Mary Conrad (who died in Wayne TN). Their children were Alford, Burton, Sarah and Martha. (You can see Alford's widow Derinda and her two daughters on the 1850 Hardin census. He had just died earlier that year. )
Anyway, because of the names Alford and Burton, I believe that James Dill Sr. is somehow descended from this family. I think possibly his father was John Lee Dill (b 1779). I just don't think it is a coincidence that James' son John A (for Alford?) named one of his sons Alford Burton Dill (b 1872 in TN).
Let me know if you have better information that this....I know it's a long shot.

Posted: 21 Sep 2006 11:17AM GMT
Edited: 22 Sep 2006 11:40AM GMT
Surnames: Dill, Ray
John, I forgot to mention that if you try to find Derinda Dill and her daughters Martha(b 1837) and Sophia (b 1842) on Ancestry you'll go crazy trying to find them. They were incorrectly transcribed with the last name of DIES (in the 1850 Hardin census). I have submitted a correction but it hasn't been updated yet. I also found Sophia married later to John Ray and went to Dent, MO and is on quite a few censuses there.

Posted: 28 Sep 2006 6:43PM GMT
Surnames: Dill, Richardson, Rowsey, Sculley, Alford
Niki, sorry but I don't have any other information on the DIlls. You are correct about Elizabeth Richardson. She was married right here in Campbell Co. VA in 1789 to "Thomas Rowzy," so even estimating her birth date to be 1772, she definitely would have been too old to be having children in 1828. (Coincidentally, my house is on land formerly owned by Elizabeth Richardson's father!)

I would agree that Alford Burton DIll was almost certainly a direct descendant of John Burton Sculley and Sarah Alford. If you should come up with anything more on the Dill-Rowsey connection, please let me know.

Niki Lee (View posts)
Posted: 1 Oct 2006 7:51AM GMT
Edited: 2 Oct 2006 11:05AM GMT
Surnames: Dill, Willis, Paschall, Marshall, Rowsey, Skulley
John, I think I have found James Dill who was living with J H Rowsey in 1860 in Hardin TN. I found a James Dill in Tipton Co TN in the 1880 census and he is the right age. It is a neighboring county to Haywood Co where his brother John Dill was living at the time. He is married to a Mary and living in his brother-in-law's household. His brother-in-law is Charles Willis. I have done some research and found that Charles Willis and Mary are the children of Charles W Willis, born in 1827 in TN, and he is the son of Benjamin F. Willis, born abt 1793 in Virginia. The really exciting part of this for me is that in the 1850 Maury Co TN census this Benjamin Willis was a neighbor of Eli Marshall who is my gr-gr-gr grandfather. James' older sister Nancy's daughter Mary (Mollie) married Robert Alexander Paschall and he is the son of Eli Marshall's daughter Sarah Annie.
I also have been trying to zero in on the Dill's who are descended from Skulley and Alford. It appears that possibly one of the two Skulley girls I thought was married to John Dill was not married to him, but maybe to Edward Dill who went to Carteret Co NC. I have read John Burton Skulley's will and he definitely had two daughters married to Dills, I'm just not sure yet which ones. I'll let you know if I can ferret all this out.

Posted: 3 Oct 2006 10:12PM GMT
Surnames: Dill, Willis
Niki, It sounds like you have enough to make the connection, despite the fact that he is shown being b. in KY. Still can't find him in 1870, although I did find a marriage on the IGI between James Dill and Mary J. Willis, 29 Nov 1874, Tipton Co., TN. I also cannot find James in 1900 or later censuses.

I appreciate your keeping me in the loop.

Posted: 18 Oct 2006 12:39AM GMT
Edited: 19 Oct 2006 11:04AM GMT
Surnames: Dill
I have a biography that says my great great grand father, Benjamin Dill came to Kentucky from Kent Co., DE when he was young (circa 1780 +- 10 years) and after 1810 he and his family moved to Ohio. I believe that Benjamin Dill had a brother named Abner. I have been researching the Delaware Dills and have found a large number including the ancestors you mention all the way back to a John Dill who imigrated from Ireland in the late 1600s. I am trying to find out who Benjamin Dill's parents were. One posssibility is Solomon Dill but I do not have any wills that list Solomon's children. Can you help? I will be happy to share what I have. PS I have visited the Delaware Archives and got some documents.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions