Search for content in message boards

From Carroll to Carrell?

From Carroll to Carrell?

Posted: 9 Oct 2007 8:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Carrell, Carroll
Can anyone give the definitive time when this variation came into being?

This has been a greatly debated subject in my family's past generations.

J.H. Carrell

Re: From Carroll to Carrell?

Posted: 10 Oct 2007 4:53AM GMT
My theory is years ago people did not know how to write. So, when they learned how to write their names they wrote it as it sounded according to the region they lived in.
Also, keep in mind when Daniel Webster wrote his dictionary it was no longer English as the people from England pronounced words it became American English.
My Carrol family was from VA in the 1700's. In 1850's the next generations were then living in Indiana. Part of this group moved to Illinois, they changed their spelling from Carrol to Carrell. Now we call all they Carrell's in our family the Illinois Carrell's. I t may have been intentional to change the spelling.
Hope there is some information you can gleen from this message that helps answer your Carroll vs Carrell spelling.

Posted: 10 Oct 2007 3:28PM GMT
Surnames: CARROLL CARRELL CARROL CARREL
Changes in spellings took place in different families at different times.

When Alexander CARROL (name written by the clerk) was married in 1783, his father signed the marriage bond (his own signature) as Demcy CARREL. In the 1790 census nine families in Sampson County, NC were CARROLS. Ten years later those same people were all CARRELLS. Court documents during that time were a mixture of spellings.

Alexander's son moved to Stokes County, NC, as Major Hardy CARRELL. His children would come home from school with line marked through the surname and a correction written over it by the teacher as CARROLL. They finally gave up and all in Stokes became CARROLLS.

I think one reason CARROLL has become the more universal spelling is because a man with that name was brave enough to not only sign the Declaration of Independence, but also write down where the English could find him and probably hang him if they won the Revolutionary War.

Lura

Posted: 10 Oct 2007 4:46PM GMT
Thank you for your replies.

There was a big debate over the spelling with some of my extended family (here in Alabama) years back and one sect of decided to legally change from Carrell to Carroll (which they claimed was the "correct" spelling) Even went so far as to change their fathers tombstone to reflect it even though he had always used the *ell spelling in life. As I understand it, there was a bit of a falling out over it. Only later did I come to find out we're all related at one point or another and that there are numerous spelling variations. I've just been trying to find the points in which each variation came into being .. a task that has proven to be difficult.

J.H. Carrell

Posted: 10 Oct 2007 5:00PM GMT
Surnames: CARROLL CARRELL
Where in AL did this change take place, and who was your earliest ancestor? Perhaps some of us can relate to your family.
Lura

Posted: 10 Oct 2007 7:12PM GMT
Surnames: Carrell, Carroll
It happened in Lamar and Fayette County, but the majority stayed with the Carrell spelling.

My earliest confirmed ancestor (that I've found so far) is

James Hamilton Carrell
b. 1754, County Louth, Ireland
d. 1803, North Carolina, USA

^Thomas Benjamin Carrell
b. 15 Nov 1797, Carroll, Georgia, USA
d. May 1860, Draketown, Paulding County, Georgia, USA

^^James Andrew Carrell
b. 18 Mar 1833
d. 2 Jun 1913

While researching I came across the *oll and *ell spellings for Thomas Benjamin and James Hamilton, but I know that James Andrew's son's tombstone is spelled *ell.

Posted: 10 Oct 2007 7:13PM GMT
Note* there are some discrepencies about where Thomas Benjamin was born ... some sources claim GA others claim Ireland.

Posted: 10 Oct 2007 7:38PM GMT
Surnames: CARROLL CARRELL
Thanks for replying.
Do you know where in NC James Hamilton died?
Lura

Posted: 10 Oct 2007 11:24PM GMT
Surnames: Carroll, Dunne, McGinley, Carr, Gillespie, Sheehan, Kieley, Smiddy
Dear JH:

Have you submitted your Y-DNA to the Carroll Surname Project? If so, what is you kit #? Thank you.

Best regards,
Mike Carroll

Posted: 11 Oct 2007 4:29PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
I am desended from Jaspar Harrison Carrell son of William Henry Carrell and Louisa Thompson. They were married Aug. 14, 1871.
Family history indicates being desendent from Bartholomew but i have not been able to make a connection.
Thanks for any information that you can provide,

Carrell R Marshall
per page

Find a board about a specific topic