Search for content in message boards

My grandmother told me the Gillis family come from the Isle of Skye?

My grandmother told me the Gillis family come from the Isle of Skye?

Posted: 5 Jan 2008 3:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gillis, McCleod
I am researching the Gillis family and strangely enough my grandmother told me that the Gillis family are related to the McLeods from the Isle of Skye! Does anyone have any information.

Re: My grandmother told me the Gillis family come from the Isle of Skye?

Posted: 9 Jan 2008 7:00AM GMT
Surnames: gillis mac load
hi--i;m jaimie gillis 4th greatgranddaughter of john1gillis and catherine nicholson from skye. they arrived pei 1903 on the polly. they settled in orwellcove where john built the first building used for a church /school. they prceeded in having 11 children.1.alexander1708 skye m.catherine macdonald 2donald1800pei m.rachel macload of the kendrom macloads 3.william 1813 m.christina macload of the kendrom macloads. malcolm 1815 m. christine macload of the ulgg macloads.5.angus 1817 m. catherine macload of the glashvin macloads.6.anne 1819.m.peter lamont of the belfast lamonts.7.margaret 1821.m.angus lamont of the belfast lamonts8.flora 1823. m. malcolm macload.sarah 1825. m. meil macload of th orwell bridge macloads.10catherine 1827. m. john macload of the krndrom macloads.11.isabella 1829.m.alexander og of the orwell cove macloads. so dear there is your gillis macload connections.for 25 pages on the gillis clan go to -----http://www.linneberg.comskye/gillis-john1.htlm then ---------------------/leopei.htlm i don't type so i pick that is why i lrft the same info underlined for 18 pages on the macloads. they all came from skye married each other and than began intermarring. that was not uncommon in the world back then.my grandparents were both gillis,malcolm/christine. if you get the web site ok print them ,or you'll go crazy.i've only been on their trail for 10 yr's and hav'nt got them in complete order.you must know their custom of chid naming or none of it will make sence when you see 2 or 3 same name kids in one family. welcome to a new gillis or macload if you care to write feel free . i'm retired and single{just anamiles} so i may be tardy but i will answer.well a gud da ta ya an god bless. jaimie ps e-mail cgillicat@peoplepc.com

Posted: 5 Mar 2008 10:29PM GMT

Posted: 23 Sep 2008 2:49AM GMT
Surnames: gililis macloads nicholson
hello my name is jaimie and my family is the gillis of skye. john1 gillis m.catherine nicholson and 6 of their 11 children married macloads. they came to pei on the poly in 1803 from the isle of skye. they settled in orwell cove pei ca. you can get this information from--http:/www.linngerg.com/skye/gilis-john1.html---hope this helps mail me @ cgillicat@peoplepc.com if you care to share. an a gud da ta ya.jaimie

Posted: 26 Nov 2008 1:17PM GMT
Hi:

My great grandmother on my maternal side was Margaret (Currier) Gillis, daughter of John Gillis and Susan (Beaton) Gillis. She was born in Skye Glen ~1876 and died ~1968. She married Charles Currier in Boston, lived in Rockport, MA and then settled in Gloucester, MA (where my grandmother, parents, and I were born). Check out the Gillis community on genealogy.com as well. With the help of some great folks there, I've been able to trace my mother's family lineage back to 1799 Skye, Inverness, Scotland.

I'm just now exploring the Gillis/Beaton/McCleod lines here.

Donn LeVie, Jr.
Austin, Texas

Posted: 6 Jan 2009 9:47PM GMT
Small world Donn LeVie. Your maternal grandmother was my paternal grandfather's aunt! He still lives in Skye Glen.

Posted: 8 Jan 2009 3:38PM GMT
What about the Gillis family that went to North Carolina? How are they related to the PEI Gillis family?

Posted: 5 Feb 2010 3:05AM GMT
GILLIS and MACLOUD
My gr g-father was John Gillis. His daughter was Catherine (aka Cassie) Eunice Gillis born about 1873. The family was from Skye, and settled with a land grant near Sydney. They left as the land couldn't support them (a mining area).
Her siblings were Alex/Alec, Annie, Lachlan (sp), Sadie and Neil.
Cassie/Catherine was probably born in the area around Niagara. She emigrated to the US in about 1895.

I would appreciate any help in obtaining any family information.

Posted: 5 Feb 2010 5:22PM GMT
Don't have any info on how/if NC Gillis family is related to PEI/CB Gillis...

Posted: 3 Apr 2010 1:13AM GMT
Surnames: Gillis and Macleod (not sure correct sp)
My mother, Florence Gillis (m.Field)passed away in 2009 at 91. Family came to Boston from PEI, Canada. Her family's origin was Isle of Skye and she, too, had the Macleod connection. Florence was the daughter of Malcolm & Christine Gillis who had sons, Malcolm Douglas Gillis and Neil Harold Gillis. She had a twin, Dorothy Rae Gillis, all deceased.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions