Search for content in message boards

WILLIAM CLARK (1785-1847)

WILLIAM CLARK (1785-1847)

Larry Haines (View posts)
Posted: 7 May 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Clark, Jenkins, Duke, Pullen
Can anyone help with the parents of William Clark(1792-1861), of Culpeper Co. , now Rappahannock Co. , Va...Wm. was married to Julia Jenkins in 1813...Children listed as Adaway , Jarrot , Jonas , Benj. Franklin , Rachel , Julia , Lucinda , Cassie , George Wm. , John Henry , & Geo. Washington .
Will gladly share info...Thank You

Clark Family

Robin bashaw (View posts)
Posted: 11 May 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Clark, Carver, Beck
I am descended from an Ambrose Clark who married Mary Thomas in Orange County (very near Culpeper Co). Their marraige date was 21 Nov 1797. Their children were: Joseph, Robert, George, Larkin, Sarah, James, William, Nancy, Reuben, John, and Lucy. Lucy married a Reuben Beck. Could your William be a brother of Ambrose? A Cousin? Will share what I have if it will help.

Clark

Robin bashaw (View posts)
Posted: 12 May 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Clark
If you have William's children and wife that might help. I will see what I can dig out of my files.
Regards,
Robin

Clarks > Culpeper Co., Va.

Larry Haines (View posts)
Posted: 12 May 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Clark, Jenkins, Pullen
Do you have the parents of Ambrose . I don't have Wms. yet , but I'm working on it . I'll be glad to send you some on Wms. line , if you would like it......Thanks

Clark Family

Posted: 18 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 20 Jun 2003 12:20AM GMT
Surnames: Clark, Hughes
I'm searching for the parents of John J. Clark. He was born in 1810, possibly in Culpeper Co., but died in 1892 in Rhoadsville, Orange Co, Va. His mother's name was Sarah. His wife was Lucy Ann Hughes, b-1828 d-1900, daughter of Elizabeth Hughes.

Clark Family in VA

Clarke Thompson (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Clark, Clarke
I am following a lead on my Clark history which takes me to Culpeper VA. My gggg grandfather John J. Clark was born in VA c. 1760-70. He emigrated to northern Spartanburg Co. SC area where he married Mary McDowell and died in 1844. His father was Oliver Clark who may have died in Culpeper before 1791. We think Oliver's wife may have been a "Mary". Oliver and Mary's children were John, Winifred (Winney), Lucy, Benjamin, Ann (b. 1766 in VA), Frances (Franky), Polly, Elizabeth and Sally. Also, it is believed that Oliver's father was a William Clark who died around 1750 in Lancaster Co. VA. William's wife was a Winifred Martin. Their children were Oliver, Robert, Winifred and Alexander. Do any of these names ring a bell for anyone? I have extensive info from my John Clark to the present.
Clarke Thompson
Columbia, SC

Email Address Change From Earlier Posting

Posted: 4 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 20 Aug 2001 9:23PM GMT
Email address change from earlier posting to clarke@sc.rr.com

Re: Clark Family

Posted: 30 Jul 2001 1:45PM GMT
Edited: 7 Mar 2002 9:49PM GMT
Surnames: Hughes
Hi Mike,
My Great Grandmother Mildred Ann Hughes Campbell had a sister named Jane Elizabeth Hughes who was born on March 21, 1855. I don't know if your Elizabeth Hughes is the same as mine. She also had a sister named Izora Laviticus Hughes who was married to a Wyatt Clark. Izora was born May 11, 1856. Their parents were Wyatt Jefferson Hughes and Mary Ann Herndon who are my GG Grandparents that I'm looking for information on. Mary

Posted: 31 Jul 2001 4:04AM GMT
Edited: 20 Jun 2003 12:20AM GMT
Surnames: Clark, Dempsey, Hughes
Attached you'll find a picture of Wyatt Jefferson and Mary Ann Herndon Hughes and their entire family. This too was published in the Rhoadesville Baptist Church history. The picture says "Mary Ann Herndon Hughes. First row, fifth from left, shown in a family photograph. Charter member, Rhoadesville Baptist Church. Photograph courtesy of Eunice Hughes Dempsey and Madeline Hughes Devers." The book has the following paragraph about your gggrand mother: "Mary Ann Herndon Hughes was born March 7, 1830 and was the wife of Wyatt Jefferson Hughes. This couple reared a family of five girls and three boys on the family farm south or Rhoadesville near Sunnyside. This property has been a family seat since 1828, and their eldest son, William Levi Hughes, married Miss Ida Kube. Mary Ann Hughes presented her letter on November 11, 1888 at the first service and was received into charter membership. Mrs. Mary Ann Hughes and later Mrs. Ida Hughes and their families remain legendary in their support of and love for this church. Their hard work and their gifts of love form an unbroken thread of support in the history of this congregation. Mary Hughes' grand daughters, Eunice Hughes Dempsey and Madeline Hughes Devers, agree that from their earliest days the faithfulness and strength of their mother and their paternal grandmother, this charter member, have suppprted them in a meaningful way.

According to a lady I spoke to in Rhoadesville (a Mrs. Herndon), Izora is the the girl on the far right in the white dress. Perhaps you can tell me who the other children are in the picture?

Waytt Clark's father, John James Clark, is my gggrand father. John Clark's wife's name was Lucy Ann Hughes. According to their marriage bond, Lucy's mother's name was Elizabeth. Waytt and Izora are buried at the Mine Run Baptist Church Cemetary. I have quite a lot if info on this family if you are interested. They had nine children.

I can't prove a link, but according to the book "Orange County Marriages 1747-1850" Alexander Hughes married Elizabeth Mitchell on 3 December 1803. It is the only recorded marriage in Orange Co. of an "Elizabeth" marrying a "Hughes."

Wait, there's more (Hughes): My ggrand father, James F. Clark, married two different Hughes. First to Sarah E. Hughes (father Alexander Hughes and mother Jane Lee) and then to Sarah A. Hughes (father John Hughes and mother Harriet E. Lee).

I'll bet there is a relationship between your family and mine in here somewhere.

Regards,
Mike Clark

Attachments:

Posted: 31 Jul 2001 1:59PM GMT
Edited: 7 Mar 2002 9:49PM GMT
Surnames: Hughes, Herndon, Kube, Campbell
Hi Mike, Thank You so much for the information and the pictures. They are wonderful. I am on my way out the door for vacation. I will be back Aug. 12. As soon as I get back, I will look to see what all I have they may be able to help you. Take care and talk to you soon. Mary
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions