Search for content in message boards

Tisdales of Virginia

Tisdales of Virginia

Posted: 11 Nov 2007 11:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Tisdale
Interested in info on Lt. SHIRLEY TISDALE who was a "Petersburg Volunteer in 1812 -13. It is believed he entered the service from Brunswick County, Va. but no information before that time. He was married to Ann Blick and they moved to Limestone County, Alabama. He was born about 1788 and died around 1865. I can't find any connections between him and the other Tisdales in Louisa County or other parts of Virginia. Would appreciate any one filling in the missing years and connections.

Re: Tisdales of Virginia

Posted: 17 Jan 2008 7:55PM GMT
I have the marriage of Shirley Tisdale's daughter Sarah in Limestone Co. AL. My Philander Tisdale is from Nash Co. N. C. and the son of Rennison. He is in Limestone Co. at the same time as Shirley and is acquainted with him from looking at the records. I believe there is a connection.

Joyce McFarland CMCFARL641@aol.com

Posted: 25 Mar 2009 8:46PM GMT
YOU PROBABLY HAVE THIS BY NOW, BUT I HAVE SHURLEY (VARIOUS SPELLINGS FOR THE SAME GIVEN NAME) TISDALE, SON OF JOHN TISDALE (B. BY CA.1720?) AND WIFE ELIZABETH OF LOUISA CO., VA.

JOHN,SR., OF BRAWLEY PARISH, LOUISA CO., VA, DIED CA. 1785. NAMED CH: JOHN, JR. (M. ELEANOR DICKEY), MARY (M. JOHN WHEELER), SALLY (M. ---MORRIS), SHURLEY, SUSANNAH (M. DANIEL ALLEGRE) AND ELIZABETH (M. SAMUEL MOSS).

I DESCEND FROM JOHN SR,. JOHN, JR., RICHARD WHO MOVED TO HARRISON CO., KY AND DIED THERE CA. 1817.

DO YOU HAVE ANY TISDALE RECORDS FROM FLUVANNA CO., VA?

Posted: 26 Mar 2009 2:10AM GMT
I have found Shirley to be an interesting man; I have been tracking him for about 10 years. His Plantation was next to my Great Grandfather's farm land who in 1875 had helpers working for him.This was verified by my uncle who visited him.

I did find much of the same information that you give. However, I found that Shirley enlisted as Lt. Shirley Tisdale on October 16, 1812, according to the "The Republican" of Aug. 9, 1848 and he served 2 years. He was 1 of 12 listed survivors and a second was Robert Blick, the brother of his future bride, Anne Elizabeth Catherine Blick. Their marriage is listed as about 1821 and his death 1865 in Limestone County, Al. Louisiana J. Tisdale, their daughter, Married Murray C. Smith and had a son, William G. Smith who married Sarah C. Parker. They married Aug. 25, 1874 and lived in Giles County, Tn.

About John Tisdale, he was born in 1720 in Scotland and died March 18, 1785 in Louisa, Virginia. He was married to Elizabeth.

After Shirley left the army, he lived a low profile life and during a 30 year period, he appears to have been in Kentucky, Tennessee, No. Carolina and finally settling in Alabama about 1850. Even my Great, great Grandparents who were born in 1818 and 1827, were free. However, I have family in Tennessee about whom we can't make direct connections. Perhaps some answers can be found in the records about their freedom, however, both were born in Virginia.

My next step is to go through the records in Richmond, Va and see what can be found. I want to look at Shirley (SR') Will. it is dated March 19, 1785, according to the LDS data base (Batch Number:7805590, Sheet: 59, Source Call No: 1126231.

Good Luck and let me know if this is helpful

Posted: 26 Mar 2009 3:55PM GMT
THANKS SO VERY MUCH FOR YOUR REPLY!

SINCE YOUR ANCESTOR'S NAME SEEMS TO REFLECT A CONNECTION TO THE SHIRLEY (SHURLEY) FAMILY/PLANTATION, HAVE YOU UNEARTHED ANYTHING IN THAT DIRECTION?

SOMEWHERE, SEVERAL YEARS AGO WHEN I WAS UNABLE TO RECORD ANYTHING BECAUSE OF ILL HEALTH, I CAME ACROSS THE REFERENCE OF THE MARRIAGE OF A RICHARD TISDALE TO A YOUNG WOMAN WHO WAS THE HEIRESS TO THE SHIRLEY PLANTATION. SINCE RICHARD TISDALE WAS AN EARLY ARRIVAL TO THE VA COLONY (1616, AT AGE 12) IT PEAKED MY INTEREST.

MY RICHARD TISDALE (D. CA 1816, HARRISON CO., KY)IS THE ONLY OTHER ONE THAT I HAVE FOUND TO BEAR THAT GIVEN NAME.

DO YOU HAVE ANY CONCRETE PROOF THAT JOHN TISDAL, 1720, CAME FROM SCOTLAND? SOMETIMES, BY READING COUNTY DEEDS YOU CAN LEARN WHERE A FAMILY WAS BEFORE THE LAST DATE YOU HAVE PROVED (SUCH AS A WILL).

I HAVE A TERRIBLE PHOTOCOPY OF JOHN TISDALE'S WILL BUT WILL TRY TO SEND YOU AN ABSTRACT SOON.

DO YOU LIVE NEAR AN LDS LIBRARY? THAT'S THE BEST PLACE I KNOW TO VIEW ORIGINAL RECORDS. I WENT TO RICHMOND SEVERAL TIMES BUT ASIDE FROM THE THRILL YOU CAN'T BEAT AN LDS LIBRARY.

THANKS AGAIN!

Posted: 27 Mar 2009 1:57PM GMT
The 3 documents I have re: Shirley Tisdale are from the LDS information found in www.familysearch.org. the Will dates and batch numbers are given. Dates of birth in Scotland and death in Louisa, Va are confirmed. Shirley Jr.'s marriage to Anna E. Blick is confirmed.

Posted: 27 Mar 2009 2:03PM GMT
Also, if you go back to the census, you'll find the name of Edward J. Tisdale listed as an Overseer ( I believe). Some where in my reading, I believe that E.J. was brought in from North Carolina. In the 1860 Census, Shirley Tisdale (Alabama) was about 72 years of age.

Posted: 27 Mar 2009 6:57PM GMT
I'M VERY NEW AT THIS MESSAGE BOARD BUT I SEEM TO HAVE LITTLE BUT TROUBLE WITH COMMUNICATIONS! YOUR FIRST MESSAGE JUST CAME IN FOR THE SECOND TIME WHILE YOUR LAST DISAPPEARED. OH, WELL!

I DIDN'T HAVE MUCH TO SAY, THOUGH WISH I COULD HELP YOU. I DO THINK THAT YOU MAY BE WORKING WITH TWO SEPARATE SHIRLEYS. IF YOU ARE ABLE TO READ ALL THE LOUISA CO. COURT ORDERS AND DEEDS YOU MAY BE ABLE TO LEARN WHERE THE VIRGINIA SHIRLEY WENT AND WHEN.

THE ONE MARRIED TO URSULA (WIFE OF THE SON OF JOHN, SR.)APPARENTLY WAS SOMEWHAT "UNSETTLED" BECAUSE THIS WIFE OF ABOUT 2 YEARS WENT TO COURT TO BE ALLOWED TO SEPARATE FROM HIM. SHE SAID THAT HE WAS INSANE BUT THEN THAT'S THE CLAIM FOR A LOT OF ANGRY SEPARATING WIVES SO WHO KNOWS!

HIS NEPHEW RICHARD, MY ANCESTOR, KILLED HIMSELF A FEW YEARS LATER, ABOUT 1816, AS I REMEMBER WITHOUT LOOKING IT UP, SO MAYBE SOMETHING DID RUN IN THE FAMILY!!!!

IF YOU SHOULD COME ACROSS ANYTHING GIVING EVEN A CLUE AS TO PROOF THAT JOHN, SR., DID COME FROM SCOTLAND I CERTAINLY WOULD LIKE TO KNOW. AS THINGS STAND NOW, THE BEST INDICATION IS THE INVENTORY OF JOHN, SR., WHICH WAS HEAVY WITH SCOTTISH-TYPE ITEMS OF HOME OCCUPATION: SHEEP, SPINNING EQUIPMENT, ETC.

I JUST WISH THAT PEOPLE WOULD PLACE A QUESTION MARK NEXT TO UNCERTAIN DATES. HOW COULD ANYONE BE SURE THAT JOHN, SR. WAS BORN IN 1720?

AGAIN, THANKS FOR RESPONDING AND GOOD LUCK!

Posted: 1 Apr 2009 12:01AM GMT
Searching for info on my black ancestors who were slaves of Sherwood Tisdale: July TISDALE is the great grandfather of Andy Jackson, July mom was: 22-JUNE 1870 CENSUS: PAGE-183, LINE-20, RUTLEDGE, TOWNSHIP-8,
MAHALY & JULY ARE LISTED WITH A WHITE FAMILY (WILLIAM TISDALE FAMILY)
65 TISDALE William 61 wm SC, B. 1809
Elisabeth Pennelope 54 wf SC, B. 1816
Joseph 17 wm AL, B. 1853
Henry 15 wm AL, B. 1855
John 11 wm AL, B. 1859
July 30 bm AL, B. 1840
Mahaly 50 bf AL, JULY`S MOTHER, B. 1820 SC
Name: Mahaly Tisdale Estimated birth year: abt 1820 Age in 1870: 50 Birthplace: Alabama Home in 1870: Township 8, Crenshaw, Alabama Family and neighbors: Race: Census taker made a bobo, she is blackWhite Gender: Female Value of real estate: Post Office: Rutledge. Mahala TISDALE is the 2nd great grandmother of Andrew Lee JACKSON Sr.

AUG-1840: JULY born a slave in Pike CO. al., the slave masters were the white Tisdale family: REBECCA GREEN, FURNEY GREEN, WILLIAM D. & SARAH TISDALE

4-JUNE-1860 SLAVE INHABITIANTS, WESTERN DIVISION, PIKE CO. AL., PAGE-1, SHEET-500, LINE-8, 31, SLAVE OWNERS: FURNEY GREEN TISDALE B. 1-JAN-1806 SUMTER DIST S.C., WILLIAM TISDALE B. 1809 S.C., SARAH TISDALE B. S.C.SARAH: PAGE-2, LINE-29 SLAVES OF FURNEY G. TISDALE, 1860 CENSUS, PIKE CO., AL. Searching for slave list, July`s siblings, thank you for your help...Andy Jackson oakson@aol.com

Sherwood Tisdale Burial: 1832 Sumter County, South Carolina
Military Service: McWillie's 2nd Regiment, South Carolina Militia Spouses: Rebecca Green West (Wife) b. 1784 in South Carolina Marriage: 1797 in Sumter District, South Carolina
Children: James Edward Tisdale b. 1800 in Sumter District, South Carolina Furney Green Tisdale b. 1 Jan 1804 in Sumter County, South Carolina William D Tisdale b. 1809 in Sumter District, South Carolina Amanda Pleasant Tisdale b. 1810 in Sumter District, South Carolina Francis S Tisdale b. 1822 in Sumter District, South Carolina Sarah Tisdale b. 1824 in Sumter District, South Carolina

Posted: 1 Apr 2009 3:28AM GMT
Surnames: TISDALE
I belive that my black ancestors (July Tisdale his mom were slaves of SHERWOOD TISDALE) I am searching for the sibling of my g/gf July, thank you fro any help…..Andy Jackson oakson@aol.com

John Tisdale,Sr 1 SmartMatches
Birth: 20 Feb 1730 in Goochland County, Virginia
Death: 14 Nov 1813 in Sumter County, South Carolina
Sex: M
Father: William Tisdale b. 28 Feb 1692 in Somerset County, Maryland
Mother: Anne b. in Amelia County, Virginia
Military Service: Offered patriotic service during Revolutionary War
Spouses & Children
Mary Jane James (Wife) b. 1735 in Virginia

Marriage: ABT. 1754 in Westmoreland County, Virginia
Children:
Pleasant Tisdale b. 29 Dec 1755 in Lunenburg County, Virginia
John Tisdale, Jr b. 1758 in Camden District, South Carolina
Prudence Tisdale b. 1763 in Sumter County, South Carolina
Francis James Tisdale b. 1765 in South Carolina
Haley Tisdale b. 1768 in Sumter District, South Carolina
Emily Tabitha Tisdale b. 1774
Sherwood Tisdale b. 1778 in Camden District, South Carolina
Notes:
Individual:
As recorded by Clarke
My information concerning John Tisdale comes from the genealogical files of Mr. Leonardo Andrea which are in the Mormon library at Clinton, Mississippi. If I found information that proved contrary to Mr. Andrea's notes they will thus be noted as "Clark's notes".

The Tisdale family Bible lists that John Tisdale was born on February 20, 1730. There is also this inscription which gives his death date and is inscribed as follows: "In memory of John Tisdale who departed this life on the 14 Nov. 1813, age 83 years, 8 months & 24 days." John Tisdale married a girl named Jane whose maiden name is believed to be Haley. It is believed that she was of the Haley family which resided in Lunenburg County, Virginia around the early 1750's. The family Bible gives the following inscription "In memory of Jane Tisdale who departed this life on the 19 of Nov. in 1817, age not known."

John Tisdale is believed to have been born in Lunenburg County, Virginia and he and his wife, Jane, came from Virginia to Craven County, South Carolina in about 1760. The part of Craven County, they were living in would later become Sumter County. That John Tisdale came from Lunenburg County, Virginia is proven by the following deed.

"Lunenburg Deed Book 11, page 30: 15 April 1767, John Tisdale of Craven County S.C. to Michael Mackey of Lunenburg Co., Va. consideration: 40 lbs current money of Virginia land: in Lunenburg on the branches of Rudy Creek...beginning on Rich'd Hanson's line...to Joshua Winfield's to Roland Wards line...to John Hopson's line to a survey of Nicholas Hobsobs dec'd devised to his orphans thence to John His's line...containing 237 acres...
witnesses: JOHN (+) TISDLE (sic)\\
Thomas Colley, Edward Goode Hatcher,
Jonathan Patterson junr, Daniel Comer.
Recorded 15 April 1767."

The above deed also proves that the Tisdale family's migration from Lunenburg County, Virginia to Craven County, South Carolina was very close to the year 1767. (Clark's note).

There is record of him receiving a land grant from King George III which consisted of 240 acres on the Home Swamp of the McGirt Branch in Craven County (Now Sumter) on June 19, 1772.

Concerning John Tisdale's service in the Revolutionary War, I have not, to date, found actual regimental service records but have found records which suggest he gave supplies to the regiment of General Francis Marion, the "Swamp Fox." He is indeed listed as one of General Marion's soldiers, but, again, I have been unable to obtain service records for him. Records found in the Historical Commission at Columbia, South Carolina list the following:

A. An indent for 61 pounds, 13 shillings, and 8 pence for service with the Continental troops. B. Interests on indent for four pounds 6/4 for which was assigned to John Jennings for collection in Columbia, 11 July, 1786, and Jennings signs the receipt. C. Oct. 23, 1786. John Tisdale assigns the principal to his son, Pleasant Tisdale. D. Dec.20,1786. Pleasant Tisdale signs receipt for 7 pounds, 18/8 as part of the pay he received in Columbia for John Tisdale.. Pleasant Tisdale assigns the remainder over to General Thomas Sumnter for collection.

On the 1790 South Carolina census, I find John Tisdale living in the Camden district of Sumnter County. He is also listed as having land in Clarendon County. On January 6, 1808, John Tisdale assigns a deed of gift to his grandson, John Tisdale Draughn, which was one Negro slave boy. Witnesses were John Tisdale, Jr. and Norman McCleod. Again, on August 10, 1808, John Tisdale assigned to certain family members "Deeds of Gift" which consisted of certain slaves and property and this was to take effect at his death. Those who received property and slaves were:

JANE TISDALE, wife, HALEY TISDALE, son, JOHN TISDALE JR., son, Sherwood Tisdale , son, FRANCIS TISDALE, son, TABITHA PARKER, daughter, JOHN T. DRAUGHN, grandson; the latter "in right of his mother, PRUDENCE, long deceased." Witnesses were Joseph Denson & Billups Gayle.

The estate of John Tisdale, Sr. was administered on August 21, 1814 by his son, Sherwood Tisdale and his grandson, John Tisdale Draughn. . . John Tisdale had died on November 14, 1813. This was a second administration. . . for on the 8th of March, 1814, reference was made to the first administration with Thomas Davis . . . Amos Davis. . . and Benjamin P. West as the same bondsmen. . . on March 8, 1814, the following men, John China, Elisha Hodge, and Jacob Lackey, made the approval. Annual reports were made from year to year on this estate and it was not completely settled until Jane Tisdale, the widow, died. At the final division, heirs were as follows: Pleasant Tisdale, Haley Tisdale, Sherwood Tisdale, John Tisdale, Benjamin Parker for his wife, Tabitha Tisdale,; and John T. Draughn for his mother, Prudence. This estate was very large and much money was involved. Administrators were John Tisdale Draughn and his Uncle Sherwood Tisdale who had a very large job at settling this estate.

Others researching the John Tisdale family are:

Malcolm E. Gillis Lorene Conner
4155 U.S. HWY. 49 220 S. 22nd Ave.
Hattiesburg, MS. 39401 Hattiesburg, MS. 39401

The following evidence of John's parents and siblings comes from Beverly Burton's research.

Amelia County, VA Will Book 1, page 79
Tesdale, William. Dated February 10, 1752; proved April 23, 1752. Sell my 780 acres for 145 pounds to be divided as follow: lend wife 80 pounds to be laid out in land cattle, and buildings during her widowhood, then to my four daughters Nanney, Frances, Anne and Susan. To sons William, Edward and Reneson 65 pounds to be equally divided; cattle and tobacco to be sold and amount received divided between wife and children after debts are paid. Land my wife shall purchase to be divided between sons Henry and John Tisdale. If my land cannot be sold, lend wife Ann Tisdale the plantation I now live on with 134 acres and after her decease or marriage, to my son John Tisdale; son William Tisdale 180 acres of land adjacent Charles Hamlin’s line; son Edward Tisdale 133 acres W/S Winticomake Creek; son Reneson Tisdale 133 acres in fork of Winticomake; son Henry Tisdale 200 acres in dry fork of Winticomake. Leave my 3 eldest sons to clear my wife 1200 corn holds and break it up and put it in good sufficient force, or cause it to be done before they receive their 65 pounds.
Signed: William (X) Tisdale
Witnesses: Robert Coleman, Edward Tanner, Judeth Tanner
Executors: wife Ann and son John

Virginia Gazette April 18, 1751

To be sold. Seven hundred and eighty acres of land in Amelia Co., near Namones (?), well wooded and watered; convenient to church and mill, about 2 miles from Bolling’s Point, with good improvements, houses and orchard, good springs, and a pleasant situation. William Tisdale
Amelia Co., VA Deed Book 6 & 7, page 476.

John Tisdale and Jane, his wife, of Lunenburg to Francis Patram of Amelia Co. Dated May 24, 1760. Consideration: 28 ounds. 64 acres in Amelia Co. L/S Winticomake Creek, being part of 400 acres patented to William Tisdale on July 9, 1737, adj. Willson, and said creek as it meanders, with all houses, etc.

Wit: John Pardue, John Newby, William Pardue
Lunenburg Co., VA Deed Book 11, page 30.

Dated April 15, 1767, receievd June 11, 1767. John Tisdale of Craven Co., SC to Michael Mackey of Lunenburg Co. Consideration: 40 pounds, 237 acres in Lunenburg Co., branches Reedy Creek, adj. Richard Hanson, Joshua Winfield, Roland Ward, John Hopson, orphans of Nicholas Hobson dec’d, John Hix.
Signed: John (X) Tisdale
Wit: Thomas Coley, Edward Goode Hatcher, Jonathan Patterson,Jr, Daniel Comer

Jane Tisdale, his wife, relinqueshes dower.

CRENSHAW COUNTY, ALABAMA HOME PAGE: "JOYCE ENGLISH", THE TISDALE FAMILLIES THAT MOVED INTO LUVERNE/BRANTLEY AREA IN THE 1830`S WERE DIRECT DESCENDENTS OF ONE JOHN TISDALE SR. WHO WAS BORN IN 1730 IN VIRGINIA. JOHN MARRIED MARY JANE JAMES, THE DAUGHTER OF FRANCIS JAMES, & THE G/DAUGHTER OF SHERWOOD JAMES WHO MOVED FROM VIRGINIA TO THE HIGH HILLS OF SANTEE AREA OF CAMDEN DIST. SOUTH CAROLINA & DIED THERE IN 1764. JOHN TISDALE SR. B. FEB-1730 IN LUNENBURG CO. VIRGINIA. 1754 JOHN MARRIED MARY JANE JAMES IN WESTMORELAND CO. VIR, CHILDREN: PLEASANT, HALEY, SHERWOOD, JOHN JR., PRUDENCE, FRANCIS & TABITHA

JOHN TISDALE SR. B. FEB-1730 IN LUNENBURG CO. VIRGINIA. 1754 JOHN MARRIED MARY JANE JAMES WHITE IN WESTMORELAND CO. VIR, MARY JANE JAMES WHITE B. 1735 D. 1817 VIRGINA, CHILDREN: PLEASANT, HALEY, (""SHERWOOD""), JOHN JR., PRUDENCE, FRANCIS & TABITHA

8-MAY-99, EMAIL FROM BEVERLY BURTON, (EMAIL): bbb@pdq.net (Beverly&brynne)
THE BELOW DEEDS PROVIDE PROOF OF (2) JOHN TISDALE SR. OF SUMTER CO. SC (FORMERLY CRAVEN CO.) BEING THE SON OF (1) WILLIAM AND ANNE TISDALE OF AMELIA COUNTY VIRGINA

AMELIA CO. DEED BOOK 6 & 7, PAGE 476, DATED 24-MAY-1760: JOHN TISDALE AND JANE (X) HIS WIFE, OF LUNENBURG, TO FRANCIS PATRAM OF AMELIA CO. CONSIDERATION: 28 POUNDS, 64 ACRES IN AMELIA CO. L/S WINTOCOMAKE CREEK, BEING PART OF 400 ACRES PATENTED TO WILLIAM TISDALE ON 9-JULY-1737. ADJ. WILSON, AND SAID CREEK AS IT MEANDERS, WITH HOUSE AND C., WIT: JOHN PARDUE, JOHN NEWBY, WILLIAM PARDUE

LUNENBURG DEED BOOK 11, PAGE 30-32: 15-APR-1767-JOHN TISDALE OF CRAVEN CO., S.C. TO MICHAEL MACKEY OF LUNENBURG, 40 POUND, 237 ACRES LUNENBURG CO., BRANCHES REEDY CREEK, ADJ: RICHARD HANSON, JOSHUA WINFIELD, ROLAND WARD, JOHN HOPSON, SIG: JOHN TISDALE, WIT: THOMAS COLLEY, EDWRD GOODE HATCHER, JONATHAN PATTERSON JR., DANIEL COMER

JOHN ABT 28/30 SLAVES: WILL OF JOHN TISDALE JR. ( -1822) FROM COMPTON GENEALOGY, SOUTH CAROLINA SUMTER DISTRICT

WILL OF JOHN TISDALE, SC, Sumter District
In the name of God Amen I John Tisdale of the District and State aforesaid being sick in Body, and of a perfect & sound disposing Mind and Memory and calling to the mind the uncertainty of Life and the great Certainty that it is appointed that all mankind must once Die; I do hereby ordain and Declare this to be my last will and Testament, revoking and annulling all former Will or Wills made by me.

First I Recommend my Soul to that God that Gave it and desire that my Body be Buryed in a decent and Christian like manner.

Second -- Unto my Beloved Wife Nancy Tisdale I give and Bequeath these Four Negro Slaves vizt. Caela, Jim, Joe and Hester and the Future Increase of the said Females.

Third Unto my Beloved Children Ransom Mary Ann and John Tisdale I give and Bequeath jointly these Twelve Negro Slaves following vizt. Hood, Minia, Binah, Betty, Farrow, Jordon, Allen, Giles, Eave, Edmond, Dick & Harriet and the Future Increase of the said Females The said last mentioned Twelve Negro Slaves and the Future Increase of the said Females to be equally Divided between my said Children Ransom Mary Ann and John Tisdale as they respectively Marry or arrive at the age of Twenty one Years.

Fourth -- Should my Beloved Wife Nancy be Delivered of the Child of which she is now Pregnant with: Then my Will and desire is that that Child shall have and Receive these four negro Slaves following vizt. Frank, Dave, Lucy & Robin and the future Increase of the said Lucy. These last mentioned Negro Slaves to be kept together with the Slaves mentioned in my other Childrens Bequest untill the said Child shall Marry or Come of Age: But should the Child Die before he or she should Marry or come of the Age of Twenty one, then in that case the Legacy here by given to that Child shall be equally Divided between my Beloved Wife Nancy and my other Children to share and share alike.

Fifth My Will and Desire is that my Executors herein after named do at a reasonable time Sell for Cash these three Negro Slaves Nance, Amy and Amos and to Purchase out of the amount of Sales and such monies as may be due my Estate, Three other Negro Slaves and that the three Negro Slaves to be Purchased and my Negro Slaves Jesse and Molly be equally Divided between my Beloved Wife Nancy and all my Children now Born or to be Born That part or Portions of said Negro Slaves last mentioned which may fall to my said Children is to go with the rest of their Estate & to be equally Divided between them or the Survivors as him her or them may Marry or arrive at the age of Twenty one years.

Sixth -- Unto my Beloved Wife Nancy and my Dear Children now Born or to be Born I Give and Bequeath all my Plantation and Tract of Land whereon I now live, to them and their Heirs and assigns forever; to be equally Divided between them when my Son Ransom shall Marry or arrive at the age of Twenty one years.

Seventh -- My Will and desire is that my Executors do Sell my Gray Horse and any other Property which I may have and not herein disposed of, to be Sold to the best advantage at their discretion.

Eighth My Will and desire is that all the rest of my Horses, all my Cattle, Hogs, Househould & Kitchen Furniture & Plantation Tools be kept together & Used for the Mutual Benefit of my Beloved Wife and Children until my Son Ransom shall Marry or Arrive to the age of Twentyone years, then such as remain shall be equally Divided between my Beloved Wife & Children.

Ninth My Will and desire is that the work & Labor of those Negro Slaves herein given to my Children shall be appropreated to their Maintenance Support and Education and other Necessary Expenditures which my be necessary or incurred on their Account.

Tenth -- If any of my Debts should remain unpaid and there should not be a sufficiency to pay them without encroaching in the Legacies; then in that Case my Will & desire is that my Beloved Wife and Children shall go equal share in the Payment of such Debts.

Eleventh -- I nominate and Appoint my Brother Francis Tisdale and my worthy Friend Thomas I. Wilder my lawful Executors of this my last Will and Testament.
Signed and Seal acknowledged on the the 21st day of October anno Domini1820 in the presence of three witnesses who in the presence of each other &in the presence of the Testator have Subscribed their names as Witnesses to this Will and Testament: Test. J. G. Mathis J. I. Mathis Thomas Billups John his X Mark Tisdale {SEAL}
(Recorded in Will Book AA page 355) Recorded 17th Day of May 1822 William Potts Ordy Bundle 91 Pkge 8
RECORDED IN WILL BOOK AA, PAGE 355, ON 17-MAY-1922, BUNDLE # 91, PACKAGE # 8, SUMTER DISTRICT SC

TO ORDER A COPIES OF THIS WILL FROM THE SC ARCHIVES, ONE SHOULD REFER TO SUMTER, VOL-1, WILL BOOK AA, PAGES 204 THRU 206, WILLIAM POTTS, ORDINARY, SUMTER DISTRICT SC

The TISDALE families that moved into Luverne/Brantley area in the 1830's were direct descendents of one John Tisdale who was born in 1730 in Virginia.John married Mary Jane James,the daughter of Francis James,and the granddaughter of Sherwood James who moved from Virginia to the High Hills of Santee area of Camden Dist. South Carolina and died there in 1764.
John Tisdale was a very successfull planter and slave holder.The John Tisdale plantation was located about three miles southeast of Sumterville,along the Potocaligo River.A part of his plantation was from a royal land grant that he received from the King of England in 1772.In 1808 John Tisdale exceuted a series of deeds wherein he deeded a tract of land and a number of slaves to each of his heirs,to take effect upon his death.Each bequest ranged from 150 to 300 acres of land and from four to ten slaves.John Tisdale died in District County S.C. in 1813,His widow,Jane died in 1817.The children of John and Jane Tisdale were: Pleasant, Haley, Sherwood Tisdale , John Jr. Prudence, Francis, and Tabitha.
Sherwood was born about 1778 in S.C.,He married Rebecca Green about 1797 in S.C. Seven children were born to Sherwood and Rebecca before his death in 1830's.They were: James Edward, Furney Green, William D. Amanda Pleasant,and Sarah,the family moved to Alabama shortly after Sherwood Tisdale died,Rebecca moved from Sumter Co S.C. to Brantley Ala. area with the five children named above.We believe Rebecca died in the 1850's and buried in an grave in the old Brantley Cemetery.
Furney Green Tisdale was born in 1806 in Sumter Co S.C.He first married Mary Norton in the 1820's,in Sumter Co S.C.,She was born in 1804 in S.C. Furney father seven children by his first wife who died in 1861. He married the second wife in about 1865 to Mary Letitia Williamson (nee Johnson).She was born in 1839 Sumter Co S.C., Furney fathered four children by his second wife before his death in 1873. Beleived to be buried in Brantley Cemetery.Mary Letitia died in 1910 and buried at Brunson Chapel.The 11 children of Furney Green Tisdale were: Martha Elizabeth b. 1823; Ellen Selester b.1827; John Joseph James b.1830; Benjamin West b1833; Rebecca S.b 1835; Garth b 1839; Francis S.b 1842; Mary Anna b 1866; Furney Sherwood b 1869; William Edward b 1871;Laura Luraine b 1874;

66 UNDERWOOD F.G. 34 wm AL
" Nancy 34 wf AL
" William 10 wm AL
" Lenny 4 wf AL
" Lula 2 wf AL
TISDALE Sarah 50 wf SC, SLAVE OWNER OF MY ANCESTORS IN 1860
SARAH IS THE MOTHER OF NANCY ?

71 TISDALE William 37 wm AL
" Miza 36 wf AL
" Sarah 12 wf AL

126 TISDALE Rufus 35 wm AL
" Fannie 22 wf AL
" Henry 3 wm AL
" Ringold 1 wm AL

127 TISDALE Edward 68 wm SC
" Mary 51 wf SC
" Mary 22 wf AL
" Daniel 21 wm AL
" Sarah 20 wf AL
" Margaret 18 wf AL
" Martha 16 wf AL
" John 15 wm AL
" Francis 14 wm AL
" Louisa 10 wf AL
MINCHEW Susan 28 wf AL
KANE Kit 19 wm AL

232 TISDALE Frony 67 wm SC, SLAVE OWNER OF MY ANCESTORS IN 1860
" Mary 31 wf SC
WILLIAMSON Thomas 14 wm AL
" James 11 wm AL
" William 9 wm AL
TISDALE Marianna 3 wf AL
" Gerrod 1 wm AL
" Benjamin 36 wm AL
TISDALE Marianna 3 wf AL
" Gerrod 1 wm AL
"NOTE" FRONY SHOULD BE FURNEY GREEN TISDALE "

234 HAMMONS Moses 27 bm SC
" Lucia 24 bf AL
TISDALE Alice 6 mf AL
" *Casar 80 bm Af
I BELIEVE THERE IS A BLOOD LINK (JULY/MAHALY TISDALE & Casar Tisdale)

238 TISDALE Alexander 34 wm GA
" Ellin 33 wf GA
" Frances 14 wf AL
" July 7 wm AL
" Primus 2 wm AL

239 TISDALE John 60 wm SC, SLAVE OWNER OF MY ANCESTORS IN 1860
" Elvira 39 wf AL
" Ann 16 wf AL
" Green 14 wm AL
" John 13 wm AL
" Jane 10 wf AL
" Franklin 7 wm AL
" William 3 wm AL
" James 1 wm AL
HOLIDAY Joseph 29 wm SC

242 TISDALE Benjamin 29 wm SC
" G.S. 24 wf AL
" J.P. 3 wm AL
" R.J. 9/12wm AL

243 TISDALE Ransom 60 wm SC
" Ellen 58 wf SC
" Mary 35 wf SC
" Levira 24 wf SC
" Alvena 20 wf SC
" James R. 18 wm AL
" Martha 15 wf AL
" Epsy 12 wf AL
HOLMES Jane E. 28 wf SC
" Fed 11 wm AL
" John 8 wm AL

290 TISDALE Hannah 19 bf AL
" Green 1 bm AL

325 TISDALE James 30 wm AL
" Francis 27 wf GA
" Amanda E. J 4 wf AL

334 TISDALE Frank 22 bm SC
" Amanda 22 bf AL

EMAIL FROM: MARCUS FEGEECHATTI (fegeechatti@juno.com), TUE, 31-OCT-2000 1:05 PM EST: HE SAID THAT THE TISDALE`S WERE "INDIANS"!!! AS FAR AS I KNOW FURNEY GREEN WAS A INDIAN, "MARUS, IS A AMERICAN INDIAN" HE ALSO SAID: HE THINK THE REASON THESE TISDALE OWNED SLAVES IS BECAUSE THEY WANTED TO PASS AS WHITES, BECAUSE INDIAN IN CRENSHAW, COFFEE & PIKE COUNTY & BASICALLY THE WHOLE SOUTHEAST ALABAMA WERE TREATED THE WORST OF ANYONE. ALSO THAT HE WAS TOLD BY THE GRAPE VINE THAT THE SLAVES WERE NOT TREATED LIKE THE TYPICAL SLAVES, INFACT MANY WERE LET GO, & THE TISDALE SAID THEY ESCAPED

Cole (Coles) Bartlett Tisdale Levina Oct 27, 1789 Edward Tisdale The Marriag License Bonds of Mecklenberg County, Virginia from 1765 - 1810Page 11

A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy steps!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions