Search for content in message boards

Did some Melungeons migrate to Southern Indiana?

Did some Melungeons migrate to Southern Indiana?

Debra (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jul 2006 7:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Might anyone know of any Melungeon groups or families migrating to Southern Indian: Gibson, Warrick, Vanderburg Counties?
Thanks, Debra

Re: Did some Melungeons migrate to Southern Indiana?

Kevin (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jul 2006 2:53AM GMT
I know there was a pretty big migration of folks from the Hancock co, TN area to the area around Lafayette, IN (sorry if spelled wrong) around the time of or after WWII. Many of these families were Melungeon related. I think it had something to do with the factories hiring. Another place where there was a large migration was the Baltimore, MD area, particularly Ellicott City, which was also known as "Little Sneedville".

Debra (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jul 2006 1:52AM GMT
Thanks Kevin. My melungeon searching only began about 2 months ago. My 82 year old father spurrs me on to try to find some answers. My Dad and his people are very dark with straight to somewhat wavy black hair. Most have light eye color and high cheekbones. I have uncovered some interesting family anecdotes that make me really suspicious but I don't have any answers just yet. Dad and his people are from Southern Indiana and were there in the very early 1800's. Prior to that his great grandfather came from TN, other grandparents came from MD. and Virginia and relocated to Southern Indiana.

Posted: 3 Sep 2006 8:02PM GMT
Edited: 29 Oct 2006 7:34PM GMT
Debra, My Richey's, Wood's, Dickson's were in Gibson County, Indiana @ 1806. These folks had been in E Tn and Western parts of Virginia (not to be confused with W Va).

I have heard the "Day" surname was there as well and married into my Wood's.

Please tell me what surnames you have and the dates of yuor family's migration. There is an online book mentioning many early settlers of Gibson County.

Interesting you mention Md. There are 2 locations where the word "Blackfoot Indian" can be found in the east -- One on Md/De border where a place called "Blackfoot Town" once existed, and the other in Pike County, Indiana where an early church was called "Blackfoot Church" (founded in 1790s). I have heard rumors of a place in NW Arkansas once called "Blackfoot Town" but am not sure about it as no actual reference has been found as is the case with the other 2.

The Nantecoke Indians were on the De/Md border and they did migrate west with the Delaware, and there were Delaware Indians on the southern tip of Indiana so this "might" account for the term "Eastern Blackfoot". Not enough evidence for proof tho, I am afraid.

But I'd love to hear more. :)

Vance Hawkins

Ed Tolliver (View posts)
Posted: 7 Oct 2006 3:33AM GMT
My family -- the Tollivers -- can be traced back to South Western Virginia in the mid 1700's. The five Tolliver brothers were locate in Wilkes, later Ashe Country, North Carolina, in the 1780's.

My great, great, great grandfather, Charles Tolliver one of the five brothers, moved to Lawrence County, Indiana, along with his brother Moses (who died along the way) in 1815. I still have cousins living in and around Louisville, Illinois.

They moved with neighbors and relatives by marriage.

Our family has married into several families with Melungeon surnames...Circumstancial evidence, but nothing concrete so far that proves a Melungeon connection.

Although I'm fair skinned with blue eyes, I have the "Anatolian lump" (most commonly associated with Turks from the Anatolian region of Turkey) on the back of my skull and Asian shovel teeth (indicating American Indian ancestry at some point)...As did my father and as does my daughter. Physical indicators of Melungeon heritage.

There are two interesting mysteries surrounding our family. No one can seem to find who is the father of the "five brothers" or where he came from. This is one of the indicators of a potential Melungeon link -- a family suddenly appearing.

The second is that four brothers, Moses, William, Jesse and Charles are all proven by DNA analysis to come from the same male line, with Y-DNA matches from varying surnames that come from Ireland to Poland and Sweden to Spain.

The DNA of the fifth brother, John, does not match the other four brothers and is of Southern European ancestry. A common ancestor is Perez...There is an exact match between four Perez brothers living in the Philippines and Tollivers living in Ohio and Georgia, who have never lived anywhere else.

Here are some questions to solve the mystery:

Who really was the father of the five brothers? Where did he come from and why did he suddenly appear from no where? This question is pretty much Tolliver-centric.

Why did they move to Southern Indiana precisely at the time they did? It appears that other Melungeons were moving there at about the same time. The answer to this question may shed light on the reasons behind the migration from Appalachia to Souther Indiana during the early 1800's, and how it related to the Melungeon experience.

Posted: 28 Nov 2011 6:52PM GMT
My family appears to have ties to just about every Melungeon community you can name from those in Rockland, New York, Magoffin Kentucky, Florida, Tennessee etc...anyway, many of them ended up in Southern Indiana. Franklin, Ripley, Indiana is where a lot of my family started going in the 1800s. For me it took finding a couple early Melungeon studies---ones that were put out before Melungeon research became watered down with millions of speculations about their origins. The Carmel Indians of Highland Ohio ended up being the key for my family. It was the first time I read something that PERFECTLY fit with my family. It described flawlessly how my grandparents and great grandparents lived and behaved. It also made it clear why they would have chosen to not talk about specifics. My family grew up saying "there may be an Indian or two in the family" or "there may be a gypsy here and there"...but they never said anything concrete. Anyway, yes, there were Melungeon people in Southern Indiana. I can say this with complete confidence because I used to visit them every summer...they also sent me birthday cards every year until I was almost 30. :)

Posted: 10 Jan 2012 10:21AM GMT
Surnames: Nichols, Chambers, Greene, Markland, Campbell, Whisman, Rose
The Nichols, Chambers, Greene, Markland, Campbell, Whisman, Rose families all have ties to the Melungeon communities. However, they also have strong ties to the "gypsy" communities. It is widely believed that the "gypsy" communities largely assimilated with the Melungeon communities by the early 1900s. It is proving difficult to sort out the families. I know from my family that Milan Indiana and surrounding areas attracted my family. The Melungeon elements had a movement from Virginia/South Carolina > Kentucky > to Ohio/Indiana. The "gypsy" elements of the family moved more from Pennsylvania through Kentucky to Indiana.

Posted: 21 Feb 2012 3:13AM GMT
I iknow some Goodman's went to Indiana but don't remember where in Indiana.
Mary Lyn

Posted: 21 Feb 2012 1:21PM GMT
Thanks so much for your replies: Nov. and a few days ago. This is a difficult puzzle for me. In trying to get some answers to our heritage, I only have speculation to go on. There are hints in physical features and we did a DNA test on my dad which revealed a small mix of sub saharan african and native american, mostly caucasian. Yet, there is something there. Most fascinating. The surname that I am curious about is Ingrum/Ingram and Jenkins. My people are from Southern Indiana and many moved to Illinois in the late 1800's. Another thought: we always described my great uncle Jim as looking like a handsome gypsy! Again, thanks for your response.

Posted: 21 Feb 2012 1:22PM GMT
I appreciate your reply.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions