Search for content in message boards

Harris/Phillips/Johnson/Rockwell

Harris/Phillips/Johnson/Rockwell

Karen Stricklett (View posts)
Posted: 2 Aug 2003 3:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Harris, Phillips, Johnson, Rockwell
I am looking for information on Roy Hershell Harris born 9/4/1916 in Dallas County MO. His parents were Ira Theodore Harris and Lucy P. Phillips. He married Doris Irene Johnson in Elkland, Dallas County MO at the home of Ernest Johnson on May 31, 1935. Ernest was married to Florence Rockwell. If anyone has any information on these people I would appreciate it. They are my grandparents and great grandparents.

Re: Harris/Phillips/Johnson/Rockwell

raymond anderson (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jan 2004 10:25PM GMT
They are my relatives from Robert Harris and Lucy Ann (Lee),Long Lane,Mo. Robert and Lucy had 12 children: Flora ; Cora;Nora;Lora;Zora;Vera;Roscoe;Victor;Therin;Venice (Bum);Ted;Samp. Six girls;six boys. The farm was located 1 mile from Long Lane, Mo. on the way to Buffalo,Mo. Lucy Ann Harris is buried at Buffalo, Mo. All the original children are deceased now. Therin died in Springfield, Mo. within the past two three years. Flora (Harris) Anderson was my mother.

karen stricklett (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jan 2004 6:18PM GMT
Raymond, thank you for your reply. My grandparents, Roy and Doris were divorced when my mother was young. She
does not remember much, except that her grandfather was
called Samp. I have never met anyone from my grandfather's
side. I do know that Roy died in 1979. Is it possible that you
could share more. Thanks!

Posted: 22 Jan 2004 8:33PM GMT
Yes. The old Harris-Lee farm was 1 mile from Long Lane, Mo. on the left side of the road on the way to Buffalo, Mo. They owned about 160+ acres, but some of it was sold for taxes. The remainder was auctioned off after (Bum) Venice Harris died and Lucy Ann's final dissolution will was initiated. I think Samp was a nickname for Ira Harris and Paralee (Phillips). Roscoe and Lennie (?) 's children, Mildred and Diana live in CA. Carolyn (?) (Harris) Thompson lives in Wichita, Ks. Enola (She likes to be called Barbara) (Harris) Garamillo lives in Hermitage, Mo. I hope this helps you.

Posted: 25 Jan 2004 4:29PM GMT
Thanks! It does help. A few years ago,my mom's sister
Carol had located Carolyn in Wichita. My mom's name is Rozetta (Jean) (Harris) Wolff and lives in WI. My aunt Carol lives in IA. I live in NE. I have a question about Paralee. My
mom says that she was always told that Paralee was a full-blooded Cherokee? Do you happen to know if this is true? I
was able to find a name on one of the Indian rolls, but am not
sure if this is actually her. Also, do you remember more about Robert and Lucy? Did they grow up in the Long Lane
area, or did they move there from somewhere else? Do you
remember them personally? What were they like? Do you happen to know the names of your great grandparents? I am
very interested in finding out more of this side of the family that I know nothing or very little about. Thanks for your help.

Posted: 26 Jan 2004 8:05PM GMT
Lucy Ann (Lee)'s mother Susan/susannah (Cheek) was full-blooded(?) Cherokee Indian and Lucy's father was Usual Lee.
I have tried to establish the Indian ancestry for myself too, but I never received any reponse from BIA. Lucy smoked a corn cob pipe. Robert Harris, her husband, died due to an accident while sawing wood, I heard from my sister, Mary Marie. Buell Cheek at Long Lane, Mo. might have family tree of the Cheeks- Linda Bennett has it. Tammi Ibara, Carolyn'
s daughter has trees. I may have them, but sure if they are correct. There was Bum, Venice, Lucy Ann, Eunice on the farm when my father and mother visited them. I turned the old separator handle many times to separate the milk and cream. They had cattle, horses, pigs, chickens, dogs, and cats. (Hi) They had their smoke house. They were the only ones who had food, etc. during the days after the depression.
Linda Bennett sent me the Cheek family tree, but I can't find it now, and I have been unable to receive a response from Linda now. She and Buell are related. Thanks for your info. Contact Carolyn and Roger Thompson in Wichita, KS. She should be able to get Tammi to download the trees for you. Also, Barbara (Harris) Garamillo at Hermitage, Mo. may help.
Thanks again for the info.

Posted: 28 Jan 2004 1:50PM GMT
I can't thank you enough. It is so nice to finally know something of that side of the family. I will try to obtain the addresses of the people you mentioned in order to contact them to see if they can add to this information. I know Carol has Carolyn's address, but she has not shared that information with me. I talked to my mom and she said she
does remember Lucy Ann and the smokehouse on the farm.
Although, her memory is not all that clear as she was small
and it was so long ago. Thanks again.

Sharon Taylor (View posts)
Posted: 6 Apr 2004 4:30AM GMT
Surnames: Harris / Young
I am trying to find the parents of Lucretia Harris born 23 Dec 1839 in MO. She died 23 Dec 1906 in Tunas Dallas CO. MO. She married Calvin C. Young abt 1856 in Dallas county MO. Any help would be most welcome. Thanks Sharon

Posted: 6 Apr 2004 8:38PM GMT
1. There were quite a few Harris relatives around Long Lane, Mo. in the 1800s-1900s. Many of them were my relatives through Robert S(?). Harris who married Lucy Ann (Lee). Many are buried at the Liberty Cemetery between Long Lane, Mo. and Buffalo, Mo. Then, you have the cemetery (ies) in Buffalo, Mo. You might check posting by Tammi Ibarra on Roots Web for Missouri, Bolivar/Polk Co. The Polk County Genealogical Society, Bolivar, Mo. might have something. If I come across any information on her, I will let you know.

Posted: 7 Apr 2004 11:05PM GMT
Sorry, I have not run across that name as of yet. I am related to Robert Harris and Lucy Lee. Robert's parents were John Harris and Malinda Potts. I am waiting to receive some information from the LDS. When that arrives, if I run across her name I will let you know.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic