Search for content in message boards

Carroll Family from Clougher, County Tyrone, Ireland

Carroll Family from Clougher, County Tyrone, Ireland

Posted: 5 Jan 2008 5:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Carroll
Am 2nd generation Irish-American born in Brooklyn, NY 1947. Father (William Edward) born same place on March 23, 1909, deceased Feb. 25, 2000. Grandfather born Nov. 3, 1863 in Clougher, Country Tyrone, Ireland, deceased 1935. Have no info on family from Ireland...seeking any and all help and info available. Grandfather served 2 5-year tours in US Marines ending in 1896.

Re: Carroll Family from Clougher, County Tyrone, Ireland

Posted: 3 Feb 2008 5:47AM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 14 Jul 2012 3:48AM GMT

Posted: 3 Feb 2008 6:28PM GMT

Thanks for the comments Arlene. I checked my grandfather's military records, and that's how I got his place and date of birth...could not go any further. I had even contacted a genealogical place in the town where he was born and they could not locate anything. According to them, he was born in 1863, which was a year before the State started keeping records.....till then, it was the local church/parish and I struck out there too. So, I do what I can every once in a while to see if anybody has any ideas or similar experiences with avenues of approach I might have missed, etc. I'm 2nd generation American.

Good luck in your endeavors as well. All my Carroll relatives are in and around Brooklyn, NY.

Posted: 4 Feb 2008 3:24AM GMT
Surnames: Carroll, Kirby, Vanek, Hluboky-all on my Mom's side
This post was deleted by the author on 14 Jul 2012 3:47AM GMT

Posted: 4 Feb 2008 5:31AM GMT
Surnames: Carroll, Quinn, Meehan
I have a Carroll family from NY also. In fact two. One was my great-grandfather Jeremiah Carroll born in NY in 1854. He named his first son John, so I am thinking that maybe his father was John. I have no further info on him and haven't been able to find him for 10 yrs or more. I do know that he lived in Canada for awhile, the first four children were born in Cobourg, Ontario, Canada and Married Elizabeth Meehan, then immigrated to Cook co. Chicago, Illinois. There were about 9 children from this marriage. Mary, John, Thomas, Frances, Catherine, James, Edward Arthur, Jeremiah, Elizabeth(my grandmother) We have relatives in Poughkeepsie, but I can't find out the connection. The father's name was James E. Carroll and he ran a meat market on Jefferson st. there. There were a lot of children of this marriage too. One was secretary to Cardinal Hayes. Thomas Carroll born 1885 I think(without my notes) James E. came from Louth in 1834-1836. If you run across any of these family member's please let me know. I have hit a brick wall big time.
Thanks
Judy

Posted: 21 Feb 2008 5:27PM GMT
Try Knockbridge louth Ireland for McCarrolls as that is were my ggrandmother Anna McCarroll came From,her fathers name was Phillip McCarroll.Anna married Patrick Waters they had a Daughter Mary who emigrated to America.Mary was my great Aunt but that is all i know aqbout her

Posted: 24 Feb 2014 12:00AM GMT
Surnames: Carroll, MacCarroll, McCarroll, Hagney, Callenan
I have info on a Joseph McCarroll born in Clogher 1856. No middle name is listed on the certificate. We have a baptism record from the Catholic Church in Clogher. His parents were Patrick McCarroll and Anna Callenan. A couple sponsoring the baptism had the last name of Hagney. Joseph came to the US as a young man (not sure of year). He had two sons (and perhaps a daughter). His sons were John Joseph and Joseph (don't know middle name). The sons changed the last name from McCarroll to just Carroll because people were not hiring Irish. Joseph's military papers said his last name had been MacCarroll (we assume because Mac suggested Scottish instead of Irish, which was not as low class). John Joseph Carroll had three children in St. Louis. John Joseph (my grandfather), Clara (still living), and Tom. John Joseph had three sons. John Anthony (my father), Patrick and Michael. If our people had such similar names and were born in the same town so close, perhaps they were related. Have you tried to get any information from the church in Clogher? No clergy was listed on our certificate, that line was blank. We do have a picture of him, as an old man.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions