Search for content in message boards

Early Massachusetts Birth, Marriage Records Discepancies

Early Massachusetts Birth, Marriage Records Discepancies

Posted: 19 Jul 2010 1:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
In researching my ancestors, several are showing up as having been born in MA before 1620. How can this be? My understanding is that Europeans first set foot on the future Massachusetts at Plymouth Rock in 1620. Any ideas?
My ancestor, Jane Gallion, shows up as being born in Medford in 1602, although the first settlers there didn't arrive until 1630.

Re: Early Massachusetts Birth, Marriage Records Discepancies

Posted: 19 Jul 2010 1:52PM GMT
You are correct. Apparently you are using the Trees at ROOTSWEB.com. These records are often undocumented and just guesses. They are submitted by individuals who have not done complete research and are often copied by others thus the original posting is repeated. A common flaw in the internet is that good as well as bad info spread widely and relied upon by many. Always check your sources. These trees often do have some good ideas and clues of where to look for the "Real" data.

Posted: 19 Jul 2010 2:18PM GMT
Here is a Tree from ROOTSWEB that seems to have some original research and may shed some light on Jane. She was second wife of Thomas Mayhew.

# D: I7312
# Reference Number: 7312
# Name: Jane Galland 1
# Name: Jane Gallyon 2 3
# Name: Jane Gallion 1 4
# Sex: F
# Christening: 02 NOV 1602 Wantage, Berkshire 1
# Death: aft. 1666 1
# Note:

It is believed that Jane was the daughter of Edward Galland because:
1. Jane's maiden name was given as Gallion according to records kept by the Mayhew family, which is very similar to Galland.
2. The note in Lechford's records names a number of individuals living in England, those from Northamptonshire probably being friends or relatives of Thoams Payne. The person that stands apart is John Cooke of Wantage in Berkshire, who would appear to have been one of Jane's relatives.
3. In the parish registers of Wantage are found the marriages of John Cooke and Thomas Paine, both of their wives being daughters of Edward Galland.
4. Edward Galland's will states that all of his daughters were living in Wantage, except for Jane, who apparently lived some distance away, and about whom very little is said. 1

# Immigration: 1632 Medford, Middlesex County, Massachusetts 4
# Immigration: bef. 1634 Watertown, Middlesex County, Massachusetts 4
# Immigration: bef. 1647 Martha's Vineyard, Dukes County, Massachusetts 4

Father: Edward Galland c: 28 DEC 1578 in Reading, St. Giles, Berkshire
Mother: Agnes Willmot

Marriage 1 Thomas Mayhew c: 01 APR 1593 in Tisbury, Wiltshire

* Married: say 1632 in London
* Note: as their second marriages 1 4

Children

1. Has No Children Hannah Mayhew b: 15 JUN 1635 in Watertown, Middlesex County, Massachusetts
2. Has No Children Bethiah Mayhew b: 06 DEC 1636 in rec., Watertown, Middlesex County, Massachusetts
3. Has No Children Mary Mayhew b: 14 JAN 1639/40 in rec., Watertown, Middlesex County, Massachusetts
4. Has Children Martha Mayhew b: 1638 in prob., Watertown, Middlesex County, Massachusetts

Marriage 2 Thomas Paine

* Married: 15 OCT 1620 in Wantage, Berkshire
* Note: as her first husband 3 2 1 4

Sources:

1. Title: The American Genealogist: The English Origin of Jane (Galland) (Paine), Wife of Thomas1 Mayhew of Martha's Vineyard, Volume: 76, Pages: 94-98
Author: Mahler, Leslie
Publication: 2001
Page: 94-98
2. Title: The New England Historical and Genealogical Register: Thomas Tupper and His Descendants, Volume: 99, Pages: 59-67, 123-129, 191-196, 286-306
Author: Tupper Family Association
Publication: 1945
Page: 575
3. Title: Tupper Genealogy, 1578-1971
Author: Tupper, Eleanor
Publication: Reporter Press, North Conway, N.H., 1972
Page: 2-3
4. Title: The Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England, 1620-1633, Format: 3 vols.
Author: Anderson, Robert Charles
Publication: New England Historic Genealogical Society, Boston, Mass., ?-1995
Page: 1243-46, Thomas Mayhew

Posted: 19 Jul 2010 2:47PM GMT
One also has to be careful with genealogies written by other researchers. We have had access to one that follows a branch of our tree but as they get to the most recent (to the time of the book's writting) descendents the names are wrong. We have seen copies of the documents from which came the errors so they are understandable - the last letter 'a' looks on a list like an 'er' so a girl was made a boy - and turns out there were two girls.. one died younger than 2 and the next one born was given the same name

I too have seen non-native people listed as being born in the "New World" earlier than 1620 and it does seem that people don't stop to think about the year of birth! Just as in some online trees I've seen children with birth dates that precede their parents!

Posted: 19 Jul 2010 4:00PM GMT
Not to mention the people who died at 128 years old, or who had children after they died. I have seen the problems you mentioned with other trees on this site, and I find it most discouraging.

Thanks for the info about Jane. I really appreciate it.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic