Search for content in message boards

Jacob Hawk

Posted: 25 Sep 2002 6:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 Mar 2003 9:44PM GMT
Johannas Hawk, b ca 1765& Susanna Krebs b ca 1764 had a family in PA, possibly Westmoreland Co. Does anyone have info in this family and where they were born?
Pat Hornaday
phorn58174@aol.com

Re: Jacob Hawk

Posted: 25 Dec 2006 9:32AM GMT
Johannas Hawk was born in 1765 to Henry Hawk and Catherine Wren in Montgomery County, PA and died in 1825 at Huntington, Brown County, OH. He was married to Susanna Krebs (Crabbs) in 1784 at Fallowfield, Washington County, PA. Susanna was born in 1764 in Washington County, PA to Phillip Henrich Krebs and Sarah Keller. My great great grandfather, Oliver Perry Jacobs is the son of Johannas Hawk and Susanna Krebs son, Abraham Hawk and spouse Nancy Dixon's daughter, Hannah Hawk is my 4x great grandmother. Abraham was born in 1797 in Washington, Mason County, KY and died 1869 in Adams County, OH. Abraham and Nancy Dixon were married in 1815, Adams County, OH. Nancy was born in 1799.

Posted: 1 Jan 2007 12:29AM GMT
Surnames: Downing, Hawk
Where did you come up with the name Henry as Johannas "John" Hawk's father? Do you have any paper infor to back it up. If so I would love to see it. I can't seem to find only the name John as his father. This is what I have please share with me your information.

Taken from Brown County Ohio, Huntington Township, by Samuel Evans. " John Hawk was a Pennsylvanian and in 1807 settled on the farm owned by Owen Griffeth. His wife's name was Susan Crabb, and by her he had the following children: Henry, Phillip, Jacob, Isaas (died young), Abram, William, Nathan, Susan, Sarah, Christena, Rebecca, Elizabeth and Catharien. Samuel Willson married Christena Hawk about the year 1819, and settled on the farm owned by his son William, near the mouth of Three-Mile Creek. He was a fifer in the war of 1812, and died about twenty-five years ago; his widow is still living, eithty-three years Old."

The Will of John Hawke (Hawk) was written on July 28, 1818 and Probated Nov. 21, 1826. Witness to this will were William Anderson and John Anderson. Those named in the will are: Wife Susanna, sons, Jacob, Phillip, Abraham, John, Willam, Nathan and Henry; daughters are Sarah called Sarah Wallace, Christian called Christian Wilson, Susanna Hawke, Elizabeth Hawke, and grandsons, John Hawke, son of Henry and John Wilson, Listed as Executors is John Cochan.
Note the spelling on the last name in the will is HAWKE.

Taken from the book History of Hancock Co., Indiana, Its People, Industries and Institution, by George J. Richman, B.L. Federal Publishing Co., Indianapolis, Indiana 1916, Under Biograhies Is listed a David F. Hawk. (He is the son of James Cunningham Hawk, b. Sept. 28, 1824, grandson of Henry Hawk, b. April 18, 1787 this Henry was the son of Johannas/John Hawk b. abt. 1765)
"Henry Hawk was the son of John Hawk, who was born in Germany. John Hawk, with his parents, settled in Washington County. He was the son of John Hawk, SR. Both he and his wife died in Washington Co., Pennsylvania. John Hawk, Jr., the eldest of the sons, enlisted in Capt. William Berryhill's Company of the Cumberland Brigade of the Pennsylvania Militia and served until the close of the war. He was with Washington at Valley Forge and was present at the surrender of the Brish at Yorktown. David F. Hawk, the subject of this sketch, still has in his possession the ary Rifle which his great-grandfather carried in the Revolutionary War. this gun was also carried by his grandfather, Henry Hawk, in the War of 1812. John Hawk, Jr., after the Revolution, was married and migrated to Mason Co., Kentucky, where he lived for twelve years. He was ther joined by his brother Samuel and they together moved to Brown County, Ohio, where they settled and died about 1840."

Will we know John Hawk died in Brown Co. Ohio in 1826 now in about 1840. Grandfather Henry Hawk was in the war of 1812. and a John Hawk did serve in the Capt. William Berryhill's Comp. But Capt. William Berryhill, only served from 1780 till 1783 and a John Hawk was serving with him at that time. If that John Hawk is our John Hawk. He was only 15 years old in 1780. Valley Forge happen the winter of 1777. Our John Hawk was then only about 12. I don't believe he was at Valley Forge.
BUT, there are two John Hawks in the Cumberland Brigade. One was there much early in time for Valley Forge. Was he the Father of our John Hawk (Also a John Hawk and the above story tell's? and that is why the story of Valley Forge and the surrender at Yorktown in family history, were both father and son in the war and only the part of the story told over the years as one Hawk and not Two in the war. Also who is this Samuel Hawk, the brother of John. I have not been able to find him. Wish I could.

What do you think.
Donna
My husband's family line is from Henry Hawk, by way of his daughter Susannah Hawk who married Robert O. Downing.
Posted: 18 May 2009 11:01PM GMT
Surnames: Hawk
Hi,
My mother, LaVon contacted you about the Hawk's in 2001. The Henry Hawk & Susan Flaugher line is related to us. We are also related to the Owen Griffith's line also. I have another Henry Hawk that had a daughter named Nancy Ann Hawk. Nancy married a Thomas Jefferson Kennedy in Rush County, IN. Any help on this line would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance for all your help. May God Bless You, Donna.

Wesley

Posted: 28 May 2009 8:03PM GMT
Wesley, I will go over this Henry Hawk for you, but I don't believe I have him listed. Wonder if he could be the son Henry Hawk. I believe there was on {off the top of my head} my papers are not where I can get to them right now, painting. Will take a look later and see what I can come up with.
Donna
Posted: 28 May 2009 8:14PM GMT
Thank you very much for the message. Please take your time. I do have a little more info on this Henry Hawk that I have.

He was born about 1926 in Pennsylvania; and Henry had 2 Daughters, Nancy Ann and Clina. That is all I can remember from the top of my head. Hope this Helps.

Wesley

Posted: 12 Mar 2010 7:36AM GMT
I believe that Johannas Hawk was born in Montgomery Co PA in 1765, He died in either 1825 or 1826 in Huntington, Brown Co. Ohio. Married Susanna Krebs or Crabbs in 1784 in Fallowfield, Washington Co, PA.
I am a Great Grandson of Bethuel M. Hall & Elnora Jane Hawk Hall. Jonannas (John)had a son named Nathaniel Hawk b 1833 in Allen Co Ohio. Then Nathaniel (Nathan) married Elizabeth J. Hall and had a daughter Elnora or Elinora Jane and that is my line of Hawks. Althrough I have never met any of them.
Jeff Hall

Posted: 2 Oct 2010 12:26AM GMT
I think there are some inaccuracies in the local histories.
I'm working on this line. Contact me.

Re:John Hawk

Posted: 2 Oct 2010 12:27AM GMT
I think there are some inaccuracies in the local histories.
I'm working on this line. Contact me.

Posted: 10 Apr 2011 9:01PM GMT
Dear Jeff,
Ellanora Jane Hawk born 7-21-1860 died 4-14-1949 was married to Bethuel Hall. They had a daughter Clesta Verna Hall in 1897. She married Earl Hewitt Stokes and they had my grandfather Hewitt Hall Stokes. So thought you might want info on Ellanora......I am the Great Great Grandaughter of Elnora and Betuel Hall :) appreciate your info.
Karie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions