Search for content in message boards

Hellam Furniture Company

Hellam Furniture Company

Judy Pavich (View posts)
Posted: 23 Sep 2001 2:21AM GMT
Classification: Query
Any information on Hellam Furniture Company would be appreciated. Located in Hellam PA., I do believe the Co. is not in existance any longer. I have furniture that is about 75 years old, a dresser carries a label with the name of the Co. I would be interested in finding out a little history about my bedroom furniture and try to determine its value. Thank you.

Re: Hellam Furniture Company

Posted: 23 Sep 2001 5:06AM GMT
Edited: 9 Oct 2001 3:20AM GMT
I will check with a cousin of mine. His father owned Palmer's Furniture Store in Hellam for quite a while and my cousin helped out there. He may have some information.

Sharon

Judy Pavich (View posts)
Posted: 23 Sep 2001 7:52PM GMT
Sharon, thank you for your time and effort. I appreciate it.
Judy

Posted: 24 Sep 2001 4:42PM GMT
Edited: 9 Oct 2001 3:20AM GMT
Sorry I did not find any thing new on Hellam Furniture Co. My cousin said his father bought from them for a long time, however in later years the quality of furniture went down hill.
He does not remember the address, however he said they were in business atleast 30 years ending in the mid 80's.
I also have a book made in York County and could not find any thing on them. This book only covers bigger companies, this may have been a small business. You might try and see if Hellam has a better business bu. or chamber of commerce and write to them.

Sorry this is all I have, Good Luck
Sharon

Sharon (View posts)
Posted: 30 Sep 2001 3:12AM GMT
Thank you, Sharon.

Judy

Posted: 12 Oct 2001 9:42PM GMT
Edited: 9 Jun 2010 9:05PM GMT
The Hellam Furnature company is no longer in existance. I was born in Hellam. It is a small town in York County, Pennsylvania located between the cities of York and Wrightsville. The old Lincoln Highway passes right through the town. The furnature company was located along the Yorkana Rd. across the street from Sprenkles mill along the railroad tracks. Sprenkles Mill is now a restaurant and bed and breadfast. The restaurant is only open for private parties like weddings etc.. In the 1950's, when I was a child there, the mill and the furnature factory were both operating. My grandfather worked at the furnature company for a while after he retired from working his farm. I don't recall the exact year that it closed but it must have been in the early 1970's. If you want more info. I suggest you contact the Kreutz Creek Preservation Society their web page is http://www.geocities.com/kcvps/

Good luck on your search. Glenda

Posted: 9 Jun 2010 1:48PM GMT
Judy, were you ever able to find out more about the Hellam Furniture Company? We have a very nice bedroom set from Hellam and would like to determine date of manufacture. Thank you

Posted: 11 Jun 2010 5:46PM GMT
Hi - I've discovered that Hellam Furniture Company in Pa. has been out of business for a number of years. I too have a beautiful bedroom set that I believe is between 80 to 90 yrs. old. I'd be very interested in the value of it however after searching antique books etc. I have had no luck in finding anything associated with the "Hellam" name. Please let me know if you find anything.
Thanks,
Judy

Posted: 12 Jun 2010 1:52PM GMT
I appreciate your response. If I do learn more I will pass it along. Brian

Posted: 18 Jan 2011 11:54PM GMT
Hi, I'm spending a snowy evening on the computer here in Maine, and am giving our grandchildren some cast antique deer handed down to me from my great grandmother whose husband, my great grandfather, was Aquilla Fauth. Aquilla Fauth was one of the owners of the Hellam Factory.I thought I would try and track anything posted for the "Hellam Furniture Factory" and came upon your post. I was born and raised in Hellam and learned to swim in the mill pond by the factory. Since both my parents have passed away, and this type of information that never seems important until later in life, I am very interested in investigating the history of the factory. I do know that he was forced to sell it during the hard times of the depression. As a child in the fifties, my brother and I and our friends would sit at the ground level windows and talk to the workers inside the factory. I remember the amazing smells of the wood being worked on. I do have a small three dimensional cardboard display advertisement for the company and do know that grandfather Aquilla did go to trade shows in New York and Chicago to promote the furniture. This is all the history I have, but would appreciate it if anyone can add to it.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions