Search for content in message boards

Harris Family

Harris Family

Glenna Harris (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: HARRIS

It Is a new year, (2000), and I am reposting for the Harris Family, of Iredell Co., NC and Cherokee Co., NC.. especially for William Henry Harris, b.1798.... wife ,Mary.. I am descended from his first-born son, James Henry Harris, born 1818..... some of the Family still resides in North Carolina , will exchange information with other Harris people....... Thank you, Glenna Harris Ostensen

HARRIS, William, Nancy

Posted: 3 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 1:50AM GMT
Surnames: HARRIS, JOHNSON
My Harris line:

Laura Johnson (1887-1929) married William Aldridge
Randolph Jesse Johnson (1869-1956) married Nancy 'Nannie' Harris, then Myrtle Thompson
Bill (William) Harris -UNK

I have a photo that says Bill Johnson and stepmother. I believe he is the father of Nancy. Nancy's husband had a second wife and don't know if Nancy died or if they divorced...can find no death record for Nancy.

Family started in NC (don't know where but family history says western NC) and migrated to Greene Co., TN where Nancy and Randolph lived.

ANY info/suggestions welcome,
Kelley

James Henry Harris

Posted: 25 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: HARRIS

Hello Betty... Thank you for responding to my Query for James Henry Harris of Cherokee Co., NC... My James Henry Harris was born in 1818, Iredell Co., NC... he moved, along with siblings, we think his parents and his wife, to Cherokee Co, NC bef. 1850... a sister was born in Cherokee Co in 1850...the 1860 Census shows James Henry Harris and his wife ,Margaret Lydia Wiles Harris and their family in Cherokee Co, NC... a son, William Nelson Harris, my line, did move to Tennessee , Polk Co, TN to work in the copper mines.. this shows in the 1870 Census for Polk Co., TN... he and his family move to Georgia abt 1880.... now there is other branches of the Harris family that also moved to Tennessee abt the same time, at least one of these was a brother to James Henry Harris.... this would be a Benjamin Harris... some of his descendants now live in Texas and have done extensive genealogy for their lines, I have talked to the Texas "cousins" and we exchanged information on our families... our biggest problem, is the parents of James Henry and Benjamin... so much was passed down only by word of mouth in earlier families... that now it is "us" to prove out all this genealogy.... Much of the Harris family did stay in North Carolina and reside there to this day. I have become acquainted with several 'new" cousins from there in the last couple of years. I know this is long winded, but who knows maybe there is something that may be of use... if so, I will be happy to help in anyway I can.
Regards, Glenna Harris Ostensen

James Harris

Betty Harris Hicks (View posts)
Posted: 25 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Harris, JOhnson, Kirkland

My ggreatgrand father was James harris married to elizabeth johnson, both stated on census report in Monroe county, TN they were born in N.C. Both were born around l825. I think her father was Daniel Johnson but do not know james's father and mother. any info would be appreciated. thanks Betty Harris Hicks

James Harris

Posted: 3 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Harris

Hello Betty.... My James Henry Harris is from North Carolina... he is found in the 1850 & 1860 census for Cherokee Co., NC... also if you have access to the Cherokee Co.,NC Heritage book, Vol ll, para # 1006 has the Harris family there including James Henry Harris. The James Harris in TN may be my grandfather, also James Henry Harris.... the first James Henry was born in 1818, son of William Henry Harris, James Henry, 1818, had a son, William Nelson Harris who moved from NC to Poke Co, TN and worked in the Copper mine at Ducktown, William Nelson had a son, James Henry Harris # 2 and he is my grandfather... most of the Harrises in TN moved to Georgia about 1870... they lived in Floyd and Bartow Counties.... a Benjamin Harris, brother of the first James Henry Harris, moved to Texas with his family... this was after the Civil War... and there is Harris families in Texas to this day.... also if you have access to the Heritage book for Bartow County.. the Harris family is written up there.... hope this helps
best regards,
Glenna Harris

James Harris

betty Harris Hicks (View posts)
Posted: 3 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Harris, Johnson

Cherokee Countyl830 census shows Daniel Johnson the father of Elizabeth Johnson Harris lived there in l840 he is listed in Monroe Co. TN. i have not been able to located James Harris In N.C. even though the census taken in TN. says he was born in N.C. I am trying to located the father and mother of James Harris. If you or anyone can help i would appreciate it. Thanks betty

Re: Harris Family

Delbert Bryant (View posts)
Posted: 7 Sep 2001 3:37PM GMT
Surnames: HARRIS, MORGAN
My wife's ancestor Pollie (Mary?) Harris b. 1800 in NC, married to unknown Harris, had dau. Mary b. 1809 who m. William Henry Morgan b. 1835. The family lived in Shoal Creek twp in 1880 with children John, Martha, Elizabeth, and James, with Pollie as widowed mother-in-law, occupation listed as mid-wife. Family tradition says she was a Cherokee. Could this be relative of your William Henry Harris? Neighbors on census were Henry Harris and Lorenzo Harris families.

Re: James Henry Harris

Posted: 2 Jun 2002 11:49PM GMT
I am searching for John Harris married Alice Day or Grey. I am also searching for one of their sons John Huston(Houston) Harris . They are from the NC, Va, WVa and Tn areas.

I think I came across some of the names you were searching for in the Russell Co , Va home page. There is a great pico search engine for Surnames listed under the "WHAT'S NEW' Catagory. They have lots of info for census, family trees . ect.

Good luck!

Re: James Harris

Posted: 29 Jun 2002 3:15PM GMT
I am trying to locate info James H. Harris born on Apr 17, 1857. His daughter Mary Melissa Harris married John William Vaughn/an. They were married in TX. Is this your Harris family?

Re: Harris Family

Posted: 16 Feb 2004 3:06AM GMT
Edited: 30 Mar 2005 4:21AM GMT
Surnames: HARRIS/HAWKINS/MASON
I am looking for a Mary Adele Harris who was born in Cherokee County, NC around 1868. She was married to my great great grandfather, Jeptha Hawkins. Paula
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions